Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 12:18 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,171,434 times

Advertisements

My social security number is listed as coming out of Ohio, I was born in Nebraska, and I'm about the same age as the president. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 01:13 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,219,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Please read this, and then tell me why there is documentation that Obama was going under the name of Barry Soetoro?

Obama Citizenship Case Reaches Supreme Court - Urban Legends

or this

The unraveling of Barry Soetoro, a/k/a Barack Hussein Obama II

why you ask, because a name like Barack Hussein Obama is not American, that's to begin with...
Link #1:

Analysis: Hoax. The original April 1, 2009 posting date suggests it may have been intended as an April Fools prank, but given that the text does little else but parrot actual tenets of the so-called "Birther" movement (those who claim Barack Obama is ineligible for the presidency due to a forged or invalid birth certificate, etc.), it barely qualifies as satire.

•Is it really an AP news story?

No. The Associated Press ("AP") never published such a story. It didn't run in any real newspaper, nor on any real wire service. It can, however, be found posted and reposted on hundreds of anti-Obama blogs and websites.

The second link is very long and rehashes a lot of old lies, including that Lolo Soetoro adopted Obama, which is untrue.

I find your last statement very rude. Any name is an American name, if the person is a US citizen. Technically, the only "American" names should be Native Am names, such as Niwot (means 'left-hand').

Old 05-09-2012, 02:20 PM

26,543 posts, read 14,341,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Technically, the only "American" names should be Native Am names,......
i think there is an argument that a lot of surnames that got the "ellis island treatment" and continued down the generations would be "american" names.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
i think there is an argument that a lot of surnames that got the "ellis island treatment" and continued down the generations would be "american" names.
Actually, that is an "urban legend" that is not true. Here is a very interesting article about that issue.

When I was a kid, there were a lot of people my parents' ages whose own parents were born in Italy and Poland, also other countries in eastern and southern Europe. My dad used to make snide comments about "that's a good American name" when he heard say, Frank Sinatra. My daughter's boyfriend once made a similar comment about the name Michaela, which is popular in his family. He said "that's a good Swedish name". I said, "really" and he said "no". Apparently the lack of Swedishness of the name had been the subject of some conversation in his family.

Basically, when people say "American name", they seem to mean British or some of the less Germanic sounding German names, e.g. Arnold.

Old 05-09-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Actually, that is an "urban legend" that is not true. Here is a very interesting article about that issue.
link?

Old 05-09-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
link?
Dang, I could have sworn I posted the link! Oh, well.

Genealogy.com: They Changed Our Name at Ellis Island

Old 05-09-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Dang, I could have sworn I posted the link! Oh, well.

Genealogy.com: They Changed Our Name at Ellis Island
well raise my rent.....

that's one to grow on for today.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:07 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,516,027 times
Finally! Limbaugh comes to the table! Dang....been waiting for more of our mainstream folks to grow a pair.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,880,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That's common knowledge. Andrew Jackson was a slave owner. In fact the Democratic party was pro slavery, filled the ranks of the KKK and were predominantly white supremacists and segregationists. To keep it simple; The north was mainly whigs (Republicans) the south was Democratic-Republicans (Democrats.)

Founded by former Confederate soldiers after the Civil War (1861–1865) the Ku Klux Klan (KKK) used violence and intimidation to prevent blacks from voting, holding political office and attending school

The KKK was founded by Democrats. members included Harry Truman, Robert Byrd, Hugo Black, and hundreds of high profile dems were Klu Klux Klan members. They filled the ranks until the late fifties and to some extent into the early seventies as popularity waned. If they weren't members, they were certainly influenced by members. EXP: FDR's internment camps.

Anyone remember this?

"In the name of the greatest people that have ever trod this earth, I draw the line in the dust and toss the gauntlet before the feet of tyranny, and I say segregation now, segregation tomorrow, segregation forever" George Wallace (D) 1963 (Governor) inaugural speech. He could have been our President as an independent. He invented the anti-federal government platform that Republicans use today.

The great transformation of the Democrat party took place under LBJ in the sixties. The dems solidified their hold on the minority vote by using social nets and welfare programs. This is why they can preach race neutrality, even if they don't honestly believe in racial equality. They've inspired riots to protect their "equality and tolerance" image, primarily for the votes. The latest mantra is social justice, same old thing with a new catchy name. If something changes in the future, they'll simply pull a gecko, change colors, and rewrite history - again.
If you are trying to suggest that because 50 years ago Southern Democrats were segregationist racists and, therefore today's Democrats are the party against civil rights, you are misrepresenting the truth.

Civil rights was not opposed by Republicans. The divide on civil rights was North v South and Republicans were mostly in the North.

This was the voting results on the 1965 Civil Rights Act:
The Senate:

-Southern Democrats: 1-20 (5%-95%)
-Southern Republicans: 0-1 (0%-100%)
-Northern Democrats: 45-1 (98%-2%)
-Northern Republicans: 27-5 (84%-16%)

As you can see, the one Southern Republican voted against it while all but one Northern Democrat voted for it. Among Republicans, five Northerners still voted against it.

What does this all have to do with Obama's Social Security number?

As an aside, Harry Truman's connection with the KKK was that he paid a$10 membership fee when arm-twisted. When a Klan officer demanded that Truman pledge not to hire any Catholics or Jews if he was reelected, Truman refused, and demanded the return of his $10 membership fee.

What has happened since was a reversal. The South is dominated by Republicans, who have, largely, the same attitude of the former Southern Democrats.

Reagan campaigned in the town where civil rights workers were murdered; BushI used Willy Horton to scare white people and Bush2 centered his campaign on anti-gay marriage sentiment.

On Reagan, Bob Herbert wrote:
Quote:
He was opposed to the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, which was the same year that Goodman, Schwerner and Chaney were slaughtered. As president, he actually tried to weaken the Voting Rights Act of 1965. He opposed a national holiday for the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He tried to get rid of the federal ban on tax exemptions for private schools that practiced racial discrimination. And in 1988, he vetoed a bill to expand the reach of federal civil rights legislation.

Congress overrode the veto.

Reagan also vetoed the imposition of sanctions on the apartheid regime in South Africa. Congress overrode that veto, too.

Throughout his career, Reagan was wrong, insensitive and mean-spirited on civil rights and other issues important to black people. There is no way for the scribes of today to clean up that dismal record.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,267,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Finally! Limbaugh comes to the table! Dang....been waiting for more of our mainstream folks to grow a pair.
....Passed out from eating too much
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies