Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 11:00 AM

249 posts, read 193,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
But I shouldnt have to choose because the national language is english. Why come to America if you are not willing to learn the language? Catering to peoples needs allows them to not have to learn the language. As I said before, I would not expect anyone to cater to me if I was in a foreign country. I just dont get it. If they want to watch tv in another language you should have to pay for it like you have to pay for HBO, Showtime, etc...
There is no national language in the US. Not to mention many programs for the poor to learn English are being cut. Thus, you can't have it both ways. Learn English, but we will not help you.

People are more willing to learn English abroad because, unfortunately or fortunately depending on your view, English is the commercial language. People are more willing for you to speak English than you speak their native tongue. Here movies are all in English with Hangul subtitles.

I am learning Korean, albeit slowly, but still learning...because I am in Korea. However, I realize now it's not easy holding a full time job and trying to learn a whole new language while living my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 11:07 AM

4,212 posts, read 3,758,240 times
SoulSeoul, Do you have to live and work in Korea? Ill bet it was your choice, and you are doing what you need to do in order to hold a job. Now if you were fired or not hired for not knowing the language would you blame the fact there were no aids or programs for you to learn it? You need to do what you need to do to make it. If you cant make it because you dont know the language you better find somewhere else to live.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
SoulSeoul, Do you have to live and work in Korea? Ill bet it was your choice, and you are doing what you need to do in order to hold a job. Now if you were fired or not hired for not knowing the language would you blame the fact there were no aids or programs for you to learn it? You need to do what you need to do to make it. If you cant make it because you dont know the language you better find somewhere else to live.
Seeing how the policies are to encourage foreigners to know the language (via government classes free to all foreigners), if I were not an e-2 visa which is strictly teaching and had to learn the language it would much easier than in the states. Many foreigners have complained about that, and guess what! They made free languages classes. Imagine that! They want people to learn Korean and they provided the resources. Novel idea!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:19 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulseoul View Post
There is no national language in the US. Not to mention many programs for the poor to learn English are being cut. Thus, you can't have it both ways. Learn English, but we will not help you.

People are more willing to learn English abroad because, unfortunately or fortunately depending on your view, English is the commercial language. People are more willing for you to speak English than you speak their native tongue. Here movies are all in English with Hangul subtitles.

I am learning Korean, albeit slowly, but still learning...because I am in Korea. However, I realize now it's not easy holding a full time job and trying to learn a whole new language while living my life.
Oh yes, English is our national language! The Democrats even argued in congress that is why there was no reason to make it "official" because it already is our national de facto language.

Please provide a link that teaching English classes are being cut. Some schools are teaching English immersion rather than coddling non-English speakers with bi-lingual classes. Many if not most residing in this country who don't speak English are illegal aliens anyway. IMO "immigrants" should have at least a basic command of English to even move here.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,813,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Oh yes, English is our national language! The Democrats even argued in congress that is why there was no reason to make it "official" because it already is our national de facto language.

Please provide a link that teaching English classes are being cut. Some schools are teaching English immersion rather than coddling non-English speakers with bi-lingual classes. Many if not most residing in this country who don't speak English are illegal aliens anyway. IMO "immigrants" should have at least a basic command of English to even move here.
You stand to learn a lot about my nation: Assimilate, please!

Old 05-14-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:

http://adultedbudgetcuts.wikispaces.com/

Here is the list on adult education.

Hell, that makes more money for me if you get that passed! I mean it also means the obliteration of school systems and a whole host of other problems (Korean schools are overburdened with the problems that English hegemony has). I can't complain about that though. I can feel sympathy for a country that spends entirely too much on private education esp. in English. As long as my paycheck and your ethnocentric views are met, then who cares?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Capitalism! Learn it.
Capitalism is not dilution of a country

Old 05-14-2012, 11:40 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,316,367 times
Quote:

Hell, that makes more money for me if you get that passed! I mean it also means the obliteration of school systems and a whole host of other problems (Korean schools are overburdened with the problems that English hegemony has). I can't complain about that though. I can feel sympathy for a country that spends entirely too much on private education esp. in English. As long as my paycheck and your ethnocentric views are met, then who cares?
MY ethnocentric views? Lol! If I were truly an ethnocentric I would be vying for white people to enter our country illegally but I am not. I treat all Americans and immigrants equally that are here legally who respect our country's language and culture and laws.

Old 05-14-2012, 11:42 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,666,331 times
Quote:

Why the negativity towards English? Why bother to come here if you hate English so much?

Old 05-14-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
MY ethnocentric views? Lol! If I were truly an ethnocentric I would be vying for white people to enter our country illegally but I am not. I treat all Americans and immigrants equally that are here legally who respect our country's language and culture and laws.
No you clearly don't. You clearly are okay with people from the Anglosphere than other places. Which is ethnocentric (well more lingocentric, but you are singling out Hispanics it seems) Esp. if they want to watch TV in their native language. You're okay as long as they speak ONLY the language you want. This again shows that you're not totally tolerant. It's okay, I personally don't care (seriously, it's cool as long as you don't personally attack me or try to impede on a citizen's right to the first amendment). Seriously though let's call a duck a duck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies