Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 11:44 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times

Advertisements

With all this talk on giving I remember the example set by that paragon of conservatism Ronald Reagan who was well known for giving very little to charity. I contrast this with the example of Jimmy Carter who really puts his faith in action. Makes one wonder.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:53 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn
Jesue was a republican, He said " Give a man a fish and he will eat for one day, teach him how to fish and he will eat everyday. " In other words no welfare for your lazy butt....

Ummm, Silas while thinking yourself a holy roller, you might be rolling down the wrong road. That was not a Jesus quote but rather a Lao Tzu quote.

Lao Tzu Quotes (http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/laotzu121559.html - broken link)

Nothing wrong with studying Lao Tzu work but when you do not even recognize what is and is not Jesus -- you might not be where you think you are on the map or even on the right road.

A more typical Jesus quote in this case would be, "Sell what you have, give it to the poor and follow me."

See the difference?
Ummm, Phil, I dont think of myself as a holy roller, (not sure what your definition of that is) , I did not state any quotes from jesus or any one else , what I do know is the bible talks more about money than just about any other subject, so it is not difficult to understand his commands, as your quote (in which he was talking about how to get in to heaven and not necessarilly about money) by the way, shows, he did not say, "sell everything you have and give it to the (government)"!

Old 09-23-2007, 12:23 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Well I didnt say anything about churches or religious organizations, there are plenty of secular, private organizations that again, get a much larger percentage of every dollor to those that the organization is intended for, your premise that our tax dollars are going to who and what needs it because we elect the officials is completely laughable. When I "GIVE" my money I know exactly who is getting exactly how much! The bottom line in keeping with the original topic, Jesus didnt tell us to hand over our personal responsibilities to the government, when standing before him and he asks why didnt you help those in need and you answer lord I payed my taxes that was the governments job!
you forget that our national government is a representation of THE PEOPLE... so for the government to be doing it is like saying WE all are addressing the issue.. and we're trying to stamp it out of society... had jesus lived in a time of better communication and advanced civilization... I think he would actually advocate such policies...
and you're right.. there are secular charities.. and that is who would get my donations... but the point I was trying to make is fundamentally.. if your tax dollars aren't doing what you want them to do.. you have the power to replace your government... you can't replace your church.. you either accept or on to the other one....

Old 09-23-2007, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
you forget that our national government is a representation of THE PEOPLE... so for the government to be doing it is like saying WE all are addressing the issue.. and we're trying to stamp it out of society... had jesus lived in a time of better communication and advanced civilization... I think he would actually advocate such policies...
and you're right.. there are secular charities.. and that is who would get my donations... but the point I was trying to make is fundamentally.. if your tax dollars aren't doing what you want them to do.. you have the power to replace your government... you can't replace your church.. you either accept or on to the other one....
the difference of course you dont go to jail if you dont give to your church, if you feel they are not being responsible with your money, the federal government will always spend wrong, what is waste to you ,is money spent wisely to someone else

Old 09-23-2007, 02:05 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
the difference of course you dont go to jail if you dont give to your church, if you feel they are not being responsible with your money, the federal government will always spend wrong, what is waste to you ,is money spent wisely to someone else
and vise versa...

Old 09-23-2007, 02:53 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,562,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
With all this talk on giving I remember the example set by that paragon of conservatism Ronald Reagan who was well known for giving very little to charity. I contrast this with the example of Jimmy Carter who really puts his faith in action. Makes one wonder.
I'm not religious but if there ever was a true Christian in the White House it was Carter as much maligned as a leader he was.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I'm not religious but if there ever was a true Christian in the White House it was Carter as much maligned as a leader he was.
Off topic, but begs the question , why he now, supports every anti Israel regime in the world!

Old 09-23-2007, 04:33 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,183,056 times
Being critical of the Israeli government is not anti-Semitism nor does Carter support every anti-Israel regime. He probably has a big problem with Iran!

Old 09-23-2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Being critical of the Israeli government is not anti-Semitism nor does Carter support every anti-Israel regime. He probably has a big problem with Iran!
Carter: Iran No Threat to Israel Now

Old 09-23-2007, 09:08 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,917,113 times
IMO, there are two categories of liberalism:
Category #1
-Allows (or not uncommonly) encourages immoral and anti-Christian views and behaviors
-Overlooks slothfulness, laziness, deviancy, and sinfulness
-Excuses immoral and deviant behavior and tries to give the deviant person an excuse for their actions
-Gives handouts to those who aren't willing to do anything for themselves or to those who think the world owes them something
(Note: more seen in the northeastern states).

Category #2
-Believes that everyone deserves friendliness, fair treatment, and love.
-Nurtures the planet and stands up for environmentalism so the next generation can live on a livable planet.
-Sees everyone as equals and their worth determined by their personality, merit, and treatment of others (as opposed to their race/ethnicity, creed/religion, gender and sexual orientation)
-Gives help to someone who really needed it
(Note: more epitomized in the western US, esp. most of the West Coast)

I think that Jesus would reflect the latter category very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies