Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:31 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
I dont know---Jesus preached love of neighbor, true enough. He had a lot of patience, and He was VERY down on people judging one another--all true. But I think we make a big mistake if we think this makes Him just sort of a laid-back, cool dude, with no particular hangups. WE shouldn't judge each other---but we will be judged, nonetheless. And though Jesus apparently didn't write "The Ten Commandments", He certainly never gave anyone the impression that they weren't to be obeyed.--at least, that's not MY impression.
In essence, He "took on our debt" (or so the thinking goes), but that doesn't let us off the "hook". Those ten commandments weren't just "Ten Suggestions". And cool, easy-going "dudes" don't usually make "commandments"--sounds pretty serious to me---I'd advise a "cautious" approach.

I think it's a big mistake not to keep this stuff in perspective. This is what I believe He'd say, and He'd want me to remind others. So you've been "reminded"........and that's all I can do...thanks for listening
excellent point....
reminding others and mandating it are very different points though..
I like this post.. it is good insight into what people need to really think about.. and what their roles are in society.. particpants.. not rulers...

Old 09-19-2007, 05:58 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
My understanding is that Jesus must be a conservative republican because George W. hears him speak directly to him. I’m not sure if George hears others voices but that’s my guess anyway. However if I go from what the different religions teach I get confused because each one of the churches seem to have their own twist on Jesus and the teachings of their church.

On second thought! I don’t really believe George is a conservative with the way he has spent our tax dollars, and he can’t be much of a republican because I knew many good republicans ~ some were presidents even. I know what a republican is and George isn’t one.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:21 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,389,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
excellent point....
reminding others and mandating it are very different points though..
I like this post.. it is good insight into what people need to really think about.. and what their roles are in society.. particpants.. not rulers...

I agree but................I don't believe there is one human being on this planet that any of us need feel compelled to answer to regarding God's laws, that reckoning will come in a different time, different place.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:09 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In essence, He "took on our debt" (or so the thinking goes), but that doesn't let us off the "hook". Those ten commandments weren't just "Ten Suggestions". And cool, easy-going "dudes" don't usually make "commandments"--sounds pretty serious to me---I'd advise a "cautious" approach.

I think it's a big mistake not to keep this stuff in perspective. This is what I believe He'd say, and He'd want me to remind others. So you've been "reminded"........and that's all I can do...thanks for listening
Not that I disagree with your post in general, but, in a manner of speaking, it does let us off the hook. "For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, that no one should boast."

Old 09-19-2007, 07:49 PM
proudmary

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
What would you call it if it's not judgemental?

As for Merry Christmas, Jesus wasn't even born in December.
How about answering my questions first, and then I'll answer yours.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:55 PM

What questions did you have?

Old 09-19-2007, 08:00 PM
proudmary

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
baptist huh? fire and brimstone anyone?
Interesting to note that when Manigault posted that "It is useful to remember that the only priest we ever had in congress was a liberal democrat" no stones were cast, presumably because we were speaking of a liberal democrat. But when I made the point that Huckabee is an ordained Baptist minister, you poked fun at him. Thank you for demonstrating a perfect example of liberal hypocracy.

Last edited by proudmary; 09-19-2007 at 08:17 PM..

Old 09-19-2007, 08:16 PM
proudmary

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
What questions did you have?
See page 6 where you ignored my questions and posted your own question directed at me. You know, where you said something about Jesus not being born in December?
Though I believe for most of the entire planet it is obvious, I guess I can spell it out for anyone who has missed it: We commemorate the birth of Jesus on December 25. It may not be the exact day that Jesus was born, but nevertheless, it is the day chosen that we as Christians celebrate His birth. And your point is?

Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 PM

8,425 posts, read 12,185,391 times
Default Liberals -- Conservatives?

The point, proud Mary, is that men of faith such as Father Drinan and Mike Huckabee, can be far apart on the political spectrum. After all, Pat Robertson and Jesse Jackson are both Baptist preachers.

Would Jesus approve of Christmas? Some faiths say no. The night before He died Jesus was at a seder but I don't see many Christians emulating that now. My point is that it is wrong to presume some sort of piety based on political philosophy. No matter who Alan Keyes believes Jesus would vote for.

Ad Maiorem Deum Gloriam

Old 09-19-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmary View Post
What is wrong with celebrating His birth and extending a gesture of good will toward strangers? I believe it's exactly the kind of thing He'd wish to promote. I think Jesus would appreciate the spirit of generosity and the reflection on religious themes that the holiday engenders, and might even love the mood, the music and even the decorations ( all of which are reflective of the gifts He has bestowed upon us). Moreover, I think He'd be proud of Christians celebrating their Christianity. Christians,as well as Jews or any other religion, rooted in their identity are a blessing for soceity, not a problem, as the left would have us believe.
Are you refering to this post? Since celebrating Christmas isn't addressed in the bible, I cannot begin to infer what Jesus might think about it. I would imagine however, that if we practiced what He preached about love and tolerance the other 364 days of the year that would be a good thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies