Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 06:49 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,633,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Umm... why does it bother you.

The parents should be responsible for their children - that is part of the definition of a parent.

Why would you ever think that the government has responsibility for a child?
Very good question. One that people should be thinking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 06:58 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
The bible says: Teach YOUR CHILDREN; 4 times a day

When you wake up - When you sit down - when you walk by the way and before you go to bed

The original purpose of Harvard University is written in stone above the entrance; To teach young men ...the scriptures!!

It is up to parents to teach their children - not some school system shoving homosexuality down their throats!!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Why is this an all or nothing question? Primarily, parents bear the responsibility for their children. However, society has a vested interest in taking on some responsibility, too.

Nobody is served by having hungry and/or homeless children roaming the streets. Nobody is served by having children who lack basic, general education. Not the child, not the parents, not you, not me, not society.

That's when the government should take the children to foster care and put the parents in prison.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Why would you ever think that the government has responsibility for a child?
I don't know. You tell me. Guess how many children the government is raising.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:18 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,003,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I don't know. You tell me. Guess how many children the government is raising.
Your original question wasn't whether government should step in if parents fail - it was who should be responsible for raising children. The family is the institution tasked with teaching children what they need to know to successfully transition into adolescence and then adulthood. If parents fail to shoulder this responsibility, I agree that someone else needs to do so - but the last thing we want to do is encourage parents to abdicate their responsibility and allow government agencies to raise children. Read The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov - I don't think we want to end up like Solaria!

Last edited by Harrier; 05-08-2012 at 08:51 PM..

Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Your original question wasn't whether government should step in if parents fail - it was who should be responsible for raising children. The family is the institution tasked with teaching children what they need to know to successfully transition into adolescence and then adulthood. If parents fail to shoulder this responsibility, I agree that someone else needs to do so - but the last thing we want to do is encourage parents to abdicate their responsibility and allow government agencies to raise children. Read The Naked Sun byIsaac Asimov - I don't think we want to end up like Solaria!

If parents are responsible, then they should be held responsible when they fail.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:41 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,926,416 times
Perhaps if parents of children raised adults this wouldn't be a topic for discussion.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am staying out of Florida! The police and justice system in that state are totally dangerous!
yes, Florida is crazy in some places.

OP, obviously the parents should take care of the kid. However our society is losing its priorities. Octomom has 13 kids. sadly it seems those who have the most kids dont take care of them.

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,784,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Perhaps if parents of children raised adults this wouldn't be a topic for discussion.
ROFLMAO!!! The very first thing I taught my four sons when they were babies:

There is no such thing: As an "adult"

Its the same bunch of lil kids in much bigger bodies!!

Adults ? show me just one!! LMAO!!!

Old 05-08-2012, 08:45 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,605,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Well I see by your post and question; This is just too far over your head to comprehend.

I suggest a quick tour of poorer countries like the Philippines to see how that is handled.

Governments do not give two chits about people - except in this country they make you think otherwise.

It is not the governments job to raise YOUR children - The governments job is to enforce the constitution.
I find it strange that you would want to be part of a government (society) that would let children starve to death. You should move to the Philippines, your values seem to be more inline with a 3rd world philosophy.

Our Govt in this country is for the people by the people. It's really that simple. It's by far the best thing mankind has going on right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies