Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
The problem with going back to school now is that it does not guarantee you a job. It does guarantee that you'll have more debt unless your parents (the boomers) pay for it. The only fields where your almost guaranteed to get hired is in healthcare. Or a few trades where your work is specialized.

But then your faced with the dilemma of whether your willing to take on huge amounts of debt.

Going to school has never guaranteed you a job.

And you could try working your way through school like millions of us have done in the past. That is an option for winners.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:09 PM

491 posts, read 472,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, something is dreadfully wrong. And it's that we have too many kids in college learning useless stuff. They have no skills so they can't even do manual labor.

If you are earning only $8 per hour, you probably have some kind of sissy job where you don't get your hands dirty. I pay my gardener $15 per hour and he has no education.
People have always gone to college for useless stuff. It's just the useless degrees that used to get you a job, no longer anymore.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:12 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You got that right! In my hometown area of Pittsburgh, the steel industry crash of the early 80s effectively ended any chances of well-paying jobs that did not require a college education.
Millions of Americans have well paying jobs and don't have a college degree.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Do simply not understand we are operating in a failed economy?

Old 05-09-2012, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Because they've been getting screwed by the government?

sounds like a legit reason to "whine," when your elders are innumerate and economically illiterate.
Uh, excuse me? DH and I have no debt other than a mortgage, which will be paid off soon; we put two kids through college; DH is making more than he ever has; and we're the ones who are "innumerate" and "economically illiterate"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Why does it matter if more students are going to school and graduating if they can't come out and make a decent living? Do you understand that the current unemployment/undermployment rate is higher than 50%??!!

Be rational. We're in a broken system. Telling people to simply "go get a job" is not a good enough answer.
When did I ever tell someone to simply "go get a job"? Please document.

Quote:
You can rant all you want about this, but the statistics show that people with college educations get paid the most and have a lower unemployment rate. There have been many links posted about this. Do a search.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Baby Boomers were given a great country on a silver platter by the generation that birthed them. They could've worked and afford school at the same time. They grew up in the most prosperous era in US history. Most Baby Boomers could've owned their own homes and cars without any type of education. Can millenials do that? It's impossible. Baby Boomers are by far the most entitled generation in US history. However, they made things worse for their children's generation.
Well, fortunately, not all baby boomers are that self-absorbed idiots...

2012 versus 1984: Young adults really do have it harder today

Old 05-09-2012, 12:25 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Going to school has never guaranteed you a job.

And you could try working your way through school like millions of us have done in the past. That is an option for winners.
Winner? What is this, preschool??

Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Uh, excuse me? DH and I have no debt other than a mortgage, which will be paid off soon; we put two kids through college; DH is making more than he ever has; and we're the ones who are "innumerate" and "economically illiterate"?
I said your generation was innumerate and economically illiterate, not your household.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:36 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I said your generation was innumerate and economically illiterate, not your household.
Nice deflection. I know many in our same position.

Old 05-09-2012, 12:38 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Nice deflection. I know many in our same position.
Now you're talking about your social circle. That's deflection. So was using your household as a proxy for your generation.

Lately I've been amused at the projection I see in other peoples' arguments, especially about politics. You deflect, and in the process, tell me I'm deflecting. Ha. Nice trick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies