Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 12:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I believe most of the coke heads were the hippy's that were far left and not a conservative. Groovy man. Everything is copacetic, far out , anti-war flower child pot head liberal.
Sorry. Most of the hippies did not turn into coke heads. Coke heads sprang from yuppies, not hippies.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:44 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,674,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Sorry. Most of the hippies did not turn into coke heads. Coke heads sprang from yuppies, not hippies.
True, I came of age in the late 60's and I don't remember anyone doing cocaine. Pot and acid for sure, but no coke.

It was probably like heroin....not a hippie drug.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:34 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
None of us has had it as hard as those that came of age during the Great Depression.
So stop spewing the "oh poor me because of you" rhetoric.
eh, i don't think us millenials have it all that hard. it's more that i think boomers had it particularly easy, but don't seem to appreciate that.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
eh, i don't think us millenials have it all that hard. it's more that i think boomers had it particularly easy, but don't seem to appreciate that.
Maybe you could elaborate on just how you think the Boomers had it "particularly easy".

The oldest Boomer males had Viet Nam hanging over their heads. The oldest Boomer women had far fewer rights, by law and by custom, than the young women coming of age today. "Equal pay for equal work" was a pipe dream then. Help wanted ads still discriminated by male and female. The nation was reeling from the Chicago convention of 1968, the Kennedy/King assassinations, Kent State, you name it. It was not a tranquil time.

In the early 70s, just as I was graduating from college and getting started in life, Tricky Dicky slapped on wage and price controls to combat inflation. Then along came the embarassment of Watergate and Nixon's resignation. Though that did not affect anyone directly, it is more evidence that we weren't living in some gilded age. There was the first energy crisis of the early 70s. Ford came along with "WIN" (Whip Inflation Now) and MEOW (Moral Equivalent of War). On and on. By the early 80s, the interest rate on mortgages was about 18%, just as the oldest of the Boomers were starting to buy homes.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am a boomer and compared to the depression kids and today’s graduates, I had it pretty easy. All I had to do was spend some time in 'Nam to earn a bit of help from the GI bill. At least we still had a manufacturing economy in those days so I could be hired as a machinist. These days there are very few jobs for skilled tradesman and less for college graduates except for financial manipulators and similar thieves.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe you could elaborate on just how you think the Boomers had it "particularly easy".
Boomers didn't have to make smart financial decisions to become wealthy, basically y'all just raped the currency. The liquidity trap we're in today was caused by boomers overindulging in debt (both public and private, current and future, long term and short term).

You probably understand the concept of a constituency "voting itself money," in the context of the "tax and spending welfare state." Boomers "voted themselves money," in the form of easy bank loans. Black Monday and the S&L crisis were the early warning signs, which y'all's generation ignored. You continued to elect politicians who supported supply-side, easy-money policies, with no concept of fiscal discipline.

Boomer economics:
Need jobs? Make mortgage loans easier to get. Then people can work construction.
Need an education? Make education loans easier to get. No need to actually pay for education in the form of state taxes.
Need to retire? Just join a union.
Union employer about to go under? Just cut the future benefits of younger workers.
State can't fund its pension? Don't raise taxes to fund it, or cut benefits, just assume you'll get a higher rate of return. Your kids can always pay higher taxes later, if the extra returns don't pan out.

etc...

Last edited by le roi; 05-14-2012 at 08:55 AM..

Old 05-14-2012, 08:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Boomers didn't have to make smart financial decisions to become wealthy, basically y'all just raped the currency. The liquidity trap we're in today was caused by boomers overindulging in debt (both public and private, current and future, long term and short term).
Excuse me! You think we got "wealthy" without work? No, that's for fairly tales, like turning coal into gold.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:22 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
She probably needs to be euthanized in the name of fiscal responsibility.
You undoubtedly meant that as a wry joke, but be assured that some people in places of power are seriously thinking along exactly those lines.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:25 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Boomers didn't have to make smart financial decisions to become wealthy, basically y'all just raped the currency. .
So how come I still have to work at 67?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Excuse me! You think we got "wealthy" without work?
You personally, I don't know.

I do know that the boomers accrued most of their wealth through the inflation of housing prices. That is a fact.

Judging by your response, you don't seem to get my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
So how come I still have to work at 67?
Are you less successful than your generational cohorts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies