Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2012, 06:09 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
My parents were late boomers (born in '57 and '59) and I'm Generation Y (born in '87). My mom went to "the most expensive college around" (at around $4000 a year) and graduated in 1981. When I graduated in 2010, my college tuition alone was over $40,000 - and it was NOT the most expensive college around (and I was lucky to get an almost full tuition scholarship).

My parents were looking for their first professional jobs during the oil crisis. My dad found a job that paid a mortgage right out of high school - he was supporting his family so he never went to college. After only 2 or 3 years, he was TRAINED in computer programming in the early 80s and was able to purchase a condo with my mom in 1981 when they got married. My mom held an accounting job through college after working for several years in accounting in high school. The job she had in high school is something that people from top colleges today would compete for.

Flash to today. I graduated from a top university with several internships, study abroad (and the foreign language fluency!), and an office job under my belt. I had to move 1000 miles away to a high cost of living area for the one job offer I received after searching for 10 months (4 of those being completely unemployed after college graduation - yes, I started job hunting 6 months BEFORE I graduated!). I pay more than 1/3 of my income on housing living with roommates in a "cheap" area - and I make more than double minimum wage.

While I have no student loans, I am crushed by medical debt after getting cancer at 23. In years past, community and family would have most likely rallied around me to help me heal. Today, I had to work full time through 6 months of chemo with Stage IV cancer and fight with the neighbors to be allowed to park in the driveway parking as stated by the lease - even with their knowledge about my health condition. Bad people are everywhere, but I think society today is much less supportive of our neighbors and our community...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
Pathetic!! you better get a refund on your crystal ball - it's broken!

I'm a boomer 1948 - Got married in1970 - we each worked and good weeks pay was 90 bux! My rent was 35 bux a week - food for the week was only $20 bux.

BUT - WE WERE $15,000 IN DEBT!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Why don't you do that?
There's more examples in this thread. I just don't feel like looking any further back.

Listen, I'm not against the Boomers. I'm not against anybody. If you look back at my threads I simply point out the state of the current economy and why my generation is getting such a raw deal. There have been multiple stats and links posted that prove that claim.

The economy IS worse now than when your generation was coming of age.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:19 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
There's more examples in this thread. I just don't feel like looking any further back.

Listen, I'm not against the Boomers. I'm not against anybody. If you look back at my threads I simply point out the state of the current economy and why my generation is getting such a raw deal. There have been multiple stats and links posted that prove that claim.

But not as bad as when the Silent Generation came of Age.
Every generation has its hurdles to overcome.
For the boomers, it was civil rights and high inflation to name two.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:22 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Is unemployment 14 percent? Are entire industries shutting down?

Old 05-15-2012, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But not as bad as when the Silent Generation came of Age.
Every generation has its hurdles to overcome.
For the boomers, it was civil rights and high inflation to name two.
This comparison is about the Boomers and Millenials. Let's keep the goal post right where there are.

Of course every generation has its hurdles to overcome. I'm glad the Boomers overcame those hurdles. Civil Rights in particular. I benefit directly from that evolution process.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Is unemployment 14 percent? Are entire industries shutting down?
Yes and yes. We nearly lost the auto industry not to long ago. The unemployment/underemployment rate for those under 25 (the Millenials) is over 50%. Over 3 times your benchmark.

News Headlines

53 Percent Of All Young College Graduates In America Are Either Unemployed Or Underemployed

Old 05-15-2012, 06:37 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,781,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtownoe View Post
yes and yes. We nearly lost the auto industry not to long ago. The unemployment/underemployment rate for those under 25 (the millenials) is over 50%. Over 3 times your benchmark.

news headlines

53 percent of all young college graduates in america are either unemployed or underemployed
you are describing what it was like when carter was in office!!

78 & 79 80

Interest rate on cars & homes was 22%

Old 05-15-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
you are describing what it was like when carter was in office!!

78 & 79 80

Interest rate on cars & homes was 22%
Compare buying power from then to now. Scroll back a few pages, another poster gave an in depth response.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:19 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,223,612 times
Quote:
Yes and yes. We nearly lost the auto industry not to long ago. The unemployment/underemployment rate for those under 25 (the Millenials) is over 50%. Over 3 times your benchmark.

News Headlines

53 Percent Of All Young College Graduates In America Are Either Unemployed Or Underemployed

This is getting old. The college graduates represent 53%, but the millenials as a group is about double the national unemployment average.
Millennials By the Numbers | BillMoyers.com

There is a vast difference between college graduate un/underemployment and the millenials as a whole.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:

Baloney! Read this:

That '70s Crisis | Dollars & Sense

In 1973-1974, the first of two major “oil shocks” increased the price of petroleum four-fold, dramatically raising energy costs for both consumers and businesses. Workers’ wage demands outpaced the rate of productivity growth, driving up unit labor costs for businesses. The annual inflation rate spiked to over 10% in 1974 and again in each of the three years from 1979 to 1981. The annual unemployment rate topped 8% in 1975 and would reach nearly 10% in 1982.

The economy seemed trapped in the new nightmare of “stagflation,” so called because it combined low economic growth and high unemployment (“stagnation”) with high rates of inflation.

Plus much more.

Old 05-15-2012, 09:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Listen, I'm not against the Boomers. I'm not against anybody. If you look back at my threads I simply point out the state of the current economy and why my generation is getting such a raw deal.

Do you understand that what the Boomers object to is the incessant whining and complaining?

Yes. You are absolutely right.

The economy sucks.

It sucks for ALL of us.

Now quit whining. ('Cause if you think you're going to wear us down I can assure you that is NEVER going to happen. Boomers are not wired to give in. It goes against our Boomer Code of Eternal Social Action: Section 19 part 67.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies