Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times

Advertisements

after reading a couple of pages on this thread, I fill sick. and ashamed and embarrassed.
Some of the 'facts' I never got

- how can a gay relationship put my marriage on risk ? my gay neighbors make the best cookies, that's the only risk I am seeing ....
- land of the free ... what happened to it ? why is the US making those big steps BACKWARDS
- if they bible says so ... what about all the other things the bible says and NO ONE cares about ? all or nothing, IMHO, you can't just pick those raisins ...
- why do we use churches as polling places at all ?
- unfortunately, it not only hurt the gay community, it hurt all domestic relationships of not married people and their families. that's everything but christian

coming from a country, where the foreign minister is gay and there is health care for all .... it's even harder to explain. europe does not even UNDERSTAND why the us still have to deal with that BS (excuse my french). they just smile at this, shake their heads and move on to the real issues in life.

I am thankful I moved to a more liberal island here in NC - there is some light at the horizon. and I am glad, this state has SO few other issues to take care of (no, there is no high unemployment rate, school system is one of the best in the countries, people are NOT overweight, really *sarcasm off*..... )
I agree, the next generations will just shake their heads regarding all this bigotry.

but I am actually kind of released to finally see the true face of many americans here on CD - I always had trouble to look behind some of those fake smiling faces and friendly hellos ... I wish more of you would speak up in real life instead of being chicken-hearted and bash online. then people could have real discussions.

I am happy for everyone who finds comfort, help and guidance through the bible and there were situations, when I wished I did. But I just don't, there is no button for it and want others to respect this as I respect their choice. If more churches were open minded and progressive, I would consider going there.
my freedom ends where I am restricting others. and vice versa.

this letter was always one of my favorite reads, since there is so much truth in it (btw. according the bible adam and eve were not married. I can't help it, but that smells fishy ..... does that mean they had pre marital sex ??

Why Can't I Own a Canadian?

Old 05-10-2012, 07:31 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
Pro abomination marraige, appropriate terminology.

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13).

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion. ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you." (Leviticus 18:22-24).

The Bible clearly teaches no same sex marriage.
Genesis 19; Judges 19:14
Leviticus 18:22 and Leviticus 20:13
Deuteronomy 23:17; 1 Kings 14:24, 15:12, 22:46; 2 Kings 23:7

Romans 1: 26-29
1 Corinthians 6:9; 1 Timothy 1:9-10, Jude 7

''Know you not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind'' (1 Corinthians 6:9)

Last edited by buddy5; 05-10-2012 at 07:42 AM..

Old 05-10-2012, 07:40 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,935,741 times
IMO, anyone dumb enough to want to get married should be allowed to so long as both parties are consenting adults.

Seriously though, who cares? Do people really lay awake at night worrying about gays and lesbians getting married?

So long as gay couples are not trying to force churches that don't allow gay marriages to perform ceremonies I think every tax paying adult deserves the same basic rights. Being able to marry the person of your choice is a basic right everyone should share.

One question I have is how will the courts handle gay divorces? Will the more "butch" of the two be considered the "man" and have to give up all their stuff and pay alimony like most straight men do?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Apologies if this has already been posted, but this sums it up pretty nicely, IMO.
Attached Thumbnails
North Carolina approves amendment to ban gay marriage with 58% vote!-ncamendment1.jpg  

Old 05-10-2012, 09:14 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post

"If a man lies with a male as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination." (Leviticus 20:13).

"You shall not lie with a male as with a woman. It is an abomination. Nor shall you mate with any animal, to defile yourself with it. Nor shall any woman stand before an animal to mate with it. It is perversion. ‘Do not defile yourselves with any of these things; for by all these the nations are defiled, which I am casting out before you." (Leviticus 18:22-24).

''Know you not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind'' (1 Corinthians 6:9)

So your admitting its all about controlling others. Thank you.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:19 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
Quote:

Quote:
The First Amendment (Amendment I) to the United States Constitution is part of the Bill of Rights. The amendment prohibits the making of any law respecting an establishment of religion, impeding the free exercise of religion, abridging the freedom of speech, infringing on the freedom of the press, interfering with the right to peaceably assemble or prohibiting the petitioning for a governmental redress of grievances.
The same amendment that gives you the right to practice your religion also states that laws shall not be made based on religion. Your religious argument is unconstitutional and irrelevant.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:

So if the Bible dictates law in the US then what about:

Quote:
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15:19- 24. The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)
I am sure you did not click the link or see the picture of the letter I posted earlier but here you go. You can't use the Bible for one law. You gotta use it for them all.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post

I am sure you did not click the link or see the picture of the letter I posted earlier but here you go. You can't use the Bible for one law. You gotta use it for them all.

Thats excatly what some Christians do ingore one law in favor of those that help them promote others.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:30 AM

I just had another co-worker admit she voted for the ban solely based on Gay Marriage. 1) she didn't know it was was illegal 2) her lesbian sister works for a county that has already started talking about getting rid of benefits for same sex couples only (sister has a domestic partner) 3) blamed the commercials that where against Amendment One for not being thorough enough in explaining the entire bill to her.

WTF?

Old 05-10-2012, 09:45 AM

1,530 posts, read 3,878,985 times
how about using our brain and common sense instead of the bible ?

besides that .. the USA are such a melting pot and so we have many, many religions. and ALL those over 3000 000 000 people should live their lives based on the bible ? because they have to adjust when they want to live here ?so many things have changed (in both directions) since then.

and in the beginning of the USA ... correct me if I am wrong .. native americans believed in their god in a whole different way. did ANY of the pilgrims adjust when they came here ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies