Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 08:53 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,169,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
before you say the bible is not against gay relations look at Jewish sources.

there's a reason that Orthodox Jews (the demographic that by far knows Biblical Hebrew and the 5 books of Moses the best in this country are strongly against homosexual "marriages)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
That was my point....

The Old Testament (The Torah) was explicitly against homosexual relations. The translated version of the Bible for King James only made very loose indications.

Because King James was a homosexual...what I was essentially saying was....Don't tell King James he is going to hell for being gay unless you wanted to donate your head to the needy.
All of which has no bearing (or should not have bearing) on secular law in America.

Or the topic at hand, really.

We're discussing how North Carolina voted on an amendment that did not just keep marriage to "one man, one woman" (which was already on the law books), it also removes any sort of civil union benefit from any couple (homosexual or heterosexual) that is not strictly married. It also allows North Carolina to completely ignore the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the constitution in regards to homosexual marriages from states where homosexual marriage is allowed.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:57 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,911,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
All of which has no bearing (or should not have bearing) on secular law in America.

Or the topic at hand, really.

We're discussing how North Carolina voted on an amendment that did not just keep marriage to "one man, one woman" (which was already on the law books), it also removes any sort of civil union benefit from any couple (homosexual or heterosexual) that is not strictly married. It also allows North Carolina to completely ignore the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the constitution in regards to homosexual marriages from states where homosexual marriage is allowed.
I don't have any problem with it...

Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
That was my point....

The Old Testament (The Torah) was explicitly against homosexual relations. The translated version of the Bible for King James only made very loose indications.

Because King James was a homosexual...what I was essentially saying was....Don't tell King James he is going to hell for being gay unless you wanted to donate your head to the needy.
sorry never actually read the king James version (I like the original)

Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
To change the meanings of words would be the same thing as changing the value of numbers. It doesn't take a great intellect to understand that to do so would create total mathematical chaos.
This is a rather specious argument. Language and mathematics are not one and the same. Language evolves and words change their meaning all the time throughout history. If you're hanging your argument on that, it's pretty weak.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It would be interesting to see the political party breakdown of the votes. I don't buy that this is a partisan issue - it is a moral one. We know that plenty of people from both parties voted YES on Amendment One - but the raw numbers would be interesting to compare.
It only got onto the ballot because the Republicans took over the General Assembly in 2010. It was pushed by Republicans. The only Democrats who voted for it were those in the black churches.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I've thought about that too, but never tried to research an answer. I wonder if pro-ssm sentiment is softer, not important enough to vote on. The anti-ssm voters feel stronger and have higher turnout.
Well. These votes are typically scheduled "off-season" or in a primary as they were here in NC. When the vote was originally scheduled, there was only going to be a Republican primary for governor, reducing democratic turnout.

Anti-gay marriage proponents also have the church as their lobbying arm. Churches here were literally telling their congregations for months how important it was that they vote against the Amendment.

Turnout in NC was 34%, and probably skewed toward churchgoers and other conservatives.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
The bible was also translated for King James.....who was.....GAY!!

Now, I don't know about you....But I wouldn't want to **** off a King in medieval England.... would you?
Yeah I know. Ironic isn't it?

Old 05-11-2012, 09:41 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,138,249 times
I KNOW it's wrong to deny a group of people equal rights because of a held religious belief. I know it's wrong to impose a religious moral code on others that don't hold to that same code. And what make anyone think you know what "God" thinks about gay marriage. Investigate the history of the Bible and it's origins and get back to me.

I have yet to hear from anyone that opposes gay marriage what negitive impact it would have upon them, their marriage, or society

Old 05-11-2012, 09:44 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,384,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Do you think by referring to gays as sodomites, you are somehow making your argument more compelling?

A sodomite is not a gay person. Sodomites in the Bible had nothing to do with homosexuality.

Lot was a sodomite FYI.
Lot also offered his young virgin daughters up to a gang of men to be raped. Then he later had sex with those same daughters. And Lot was spared by YHWH because he was a 'righteous' man.

Lot's uncle Abraham also married his half sister Sarah, had sex with Sarah's slave women, and had lots of children with all his concubines. And Abraham is the 'father' of the Judeo-Christian religions.

Nice role models.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:48 AM

3,550 posts, read 2,556,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
I KNOW it's wrong to deny a group of people equal rights because of a held religious belief. I know it's wrong to impose a religious moral code on others that don't hold to that same code. And what make anyone think you know what "God" thinks about gay marriage. Investigate the history of the Bible and it's origins and get back to me.

I have yet to hear from anyone that opposes gay marriage what negitive impact it would have upon them, their marriage, or society
this will lead to more people living a lifestyle that more then doubles the likelihood of getting STDs.

This will lead to less people getting married because it totally take the family out of it.

this will lead to underpopulation for a variety of reasons including the one above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies