Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 04:58 PM

37,908 posts, read 21,993,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
The Supreme Court says you're wrong.
Then how do you explain all the state's laws that dictate the various requirements to marriage.

Anyone can be married, no one can stop them, so no one's rights are being violated. What we are talking about is marriages that are officially endorsed and supported by state governments, and on that, the states have authority to set standards in law.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:01 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,933,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
No just someone that doesn't let Bronze Age fairy tales color my thinking.
Regardless of your opinion of religious ideas, where do you find any support for your idea that religious beliefs should not influence laws?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:02 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,390,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Regardless of your opinion of religious ideas, where do you find any support for your idea that religious beliefs should not influence laws?
Start with the writings of Thomas Jefferson and go from there.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:03 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,122,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
The poster questioned religious influences upon laws. Since many laws are influenced by religious ideas - I wondered if the poster was hostile to our laws. What is strange about that?
Where do we as a people draw the line? Do we start stoning people as the Bible suggests? Our laws are not based on one religion or another or any for that matter. They are societal and based on the common good not religion. Universal human morality does not find it's origins in religion.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
You act like all 35 million Californians are as liberal as Western Europeans. Hardly. The majority of Californians do not live in San Francisco, Los Angeles, or San Diego.
I live very close to Los Angeles - and it is a GREAT CITY - does that count?

Old 05-14-2012, 05:05 PM

46,857 posts, read 25,803,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
many people lost their job for following they're religion and you bgiots are happy.
Observant Muslims shouldn't apply for jobs as bacon tasters. That's not bigotry.

Likewise, city clerks who find themselves unable to cope with their religious hang-ups have a completely misconstrued idea of their relative importance. Public servants are not there to make the rules, they're there to carry them out.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:06 PM

613 posts, read 757,974 times
Quote:
listen I don't care if it's not religious if you held a gun to my head and required and told me I had to give a civil marriage" licensee or, even a civil union I would still be forbidden to give them the document. (what I said above is Jewish law not some hyperbole) I wouldn't even be allowed to open the door to allow a judge to walk into a gay wedding ceremony in a court.

If you would make me you are a bigot and a anti semite just like the Soviets.
If somebody held a gun to your and told you to marry two gay people that would be a great time to realize that religion imaginary nonsense and you actually don’t really have to follow stupid rules written by drunken sheep herders wandering the desert. HA!

Old 05-14-2012, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Universal human morality does not find it's origins in religion.
Sure it does. Study the history of current legislation in the United States, and the U.S. Constitution. If you deny that religion had any influence in either - I have to ask what you are smoking(your right to do so which I would fully support!).

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM

37,908 posts, read 21,993,637 times
Quote:
listen I don't care if it's not religious if you held a gun to my head and required and told me I had to give a civil marriage" licensee or, even a civil union I would still be forbidden to give them the document. (what I said above is Jewish law not some hyperbole) I wouldn't even be allowed to open the door to allow a judge to walk into a gay wedding ceremony in a court.

If you would make me you are a bigot and a anti semite just like the Soviets.
You can bet your ass that gays will want to force every religion to recognize gay marriage also.

Old 05-14-2012, 05:08 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,547,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
I'd say your lack of reading comprehension skills puts you in the latter category. Hint: "Marriage and Procreation" does not state, nor even imply, that the latter is required (or even possible) for the former to be a fundamental right.
do you know anything about the case in question?
Marriage and Procreation was linked for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies