Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 05:15 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,855,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Ah ... this is your version of compromise? You have no problem with smoking so long as it doesn't occur anywhere in your vicinity? I suppose we should all keep track of your facebook page and calendar so that we may have sufficient time to sterilize the air and make our exit before your arrival, wherever you choose to go? How thoughtfully magnanimous of you!

Frankly, I see little evidence of cooperation or compromise coming from the self anointed centers of the universe, who believe their desires are more important than anyone else's. I'm sure you'd disagree, since you have no problem with smoking per se, so long as we smokers stay away from you, as if we must know where you plan to be 24/7.

And there is a distinct air of superiority and "specialness" in the authoritarian mindset, manifesting in those uncompromisable demands for these smoking bans. First, it was in the workplace. Then to public spaces like bars and restaurants ... then to extend to outdoor events and venues ... and even signs and ordinances that stipulate how many feet from an entrance of a structure ... to attempts to outlaw smoking in freaking cigar shops, where it would be unlikely to find a non-smoker anyway. Now, in certain places even smoking inside your home is a target for the "Tobacco Nazis".

This is why there can be no satisfactory compromise, because NAZIS refuse to compromise. It's not in their nature, even though many will claim that they really don't have a problem with smoking ... so long as no one smokes! LOL

This reminds me of another favorite of the left ... freedom of speech is just dandy, so long as no one says anything the champions of leftist freedom disagrees with.

Amazing!
Your attitude is precisely what you decry. You are a tobacco nazi who wants to foist the consequences of his habit on everyone else. You seem to object to the fact that I do not want to breathe in your foul emissions.

I am quite happy to compromise. But that compromise has to be a reasonable one which takes into account the wishes of the 80% of adults who do not smoke. It is, unfortunately, attitudes like yours which led to the bans in the first place.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM

14,873 posts, read 8,488,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Your attitude is precisely what you decry. You are a tobacco nazi who wants to foist the consequences of his habit on everyone else. You seem to object to the fact that I do not want to breathe in your foul emissions.

I am quite happy to compromise. But that compromise has to be a reasonable one which takes into account the wishes of the 80% of adults who do not smoke. It is, unfortunately, attitudes like yours which led to the bans in the first place.
The American Taliban .... and double talk artist ... you're the one that wants bans, not me. You're the one that speaks from both side of the mouth .. "I have no problem with smoking, so long as no one smokes near me ... see how willing I am to compromise"? It's simple to get along with you right? You promise not to be offended so long as everyone agrees not to do anything that offends you!

Again, how mind numbingly magnanimous of you. How do you do it?

Old 05-14-2012, 06:09 PM

3,204 posts, read 2,857,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Where I live, city code prohibits wood burning fires in homes (unless you are grandfathered).

Does it seem at all wasteful that people could use a cheaper source of heat in the winter and get rid of the dead wood at the same time?

I know in some cities residents were told to use power during certain times to get better rates. After a short time the rates went up because people weren't using enough during peak hours.

Now that residents are forced to use public utilities for all their needs they are at the mercy of those that set the prices.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:27 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,815,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Yes - their own property - not the property that belongs to someone else.
I'm not certain, but I think patrons have some sort of property right that's similar to requiring gas stations to allow access of restrooms to all people or none. In either case, I don't care. Too many smokers have bad manners with their filth, so... NO SMOKE FOR YOU!

Old 05-14-2012, 06:41 PM

102,065 posts, read 106,986,186 times
Is anyone alarmed at how callous smokers are toward their own children's health? They have no qualms about forcing their kids to breath clouds of second-hand smoke (the worst is in a car with the windows closed). That seems narcissistic to an extreme.

Old 05-14-2012, 06:53 PM

14,873 posts, read 8,488,073 times
Here's the progression of the flexible lefty Nazis:

It all started with a few complainers whining about smoke in the restaurant (of course they believed that everyone should conform to their wishes, and not the other way around). So the thoughtful restaurant owner tried to be accommodating and assigned an entire non-smoking section, just for them. Realizing how well that worked out .. they continued to complain, until the majority of the entire establishment was non-smoking, with only a small space reserved for smokers ... at the bar. But, that wasn't good enough either ... they still knew smoking was happening even if they could not see it or smell it ... they knew, and that was not good, so they complained more.

The Restaurant said, hey .. we really tried, but some of you people just can't be satisfied, so feel free to go to another restaurant if you don't want to come here. That was definitely not good enough .. as they screamed "We have a right to eat wherever we want, and we will force you to comply".

So off to the law makers they go .. demanding laws to eliminate smoking entirely, everywhere, and now Johnny lawman tells the restaurant owner that he no longer has a say in what goes on in his establishment, and he cannot allow his smoking customers to smoke anymore. The smokers can't complain, because it's out of the restaurant owners hands. He's sorry, but nothing he can do .. it's now the law.

So now, not only are the smokers banned from smoking by law, the business owner no longer has the right to establish his own policies which reflect the wishes of his customers, by law ... or decide what goes on in his privately owned establishment, by law.

And why is that? Because the owner thought that liberal Nazis might be willing to compromise. But now he realizes what experienced people know about liberal Nazis ... they have NO INTENTION OF COMPROMISING about anything ... in fact they were the inspiration for the saying ... "give them an inch, and they'll take a mile", and "no good deed goes unpunished".

Now the owner realizes that he should have immediately told the liberal Nazi whiners that they were free to leave, the moment they opened their whiny selfish little mouths, because that's the only type of compromise liberal Nazis understand. Real, well intentioned and fair compromise is a sign of weakness in the eyes of the liberal Nazi, to which they will exploit to the maximum ... so appeasing them is like handing the baby candy every time it cries. pretty soon, you'll have created a monster.

Out of the mouths of liberal Nazi monster babes so goes the theme "We will not tolerate intolerance"! "We have the right to free speech, and anyone who doesn't like it can just Shut Up!"

Old 05-14-2012, 07:05 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,051,906 times
I quit smoking many years ago so the bans have no effect on me. Overall I don't miss smoking but sometimes I do miss the ability to blow smoke in the face of pious annoyances.

I really don't understand how people can smoke cigarettes these days. When I started smoking, back when Kool was giving away Snark sailboats, cigarettes actually tasted good and smelled good. By about 1989 or 90, all the additives made cigs smell and taste like regurgitated cat crap mixed with dinosaur pee. Even now when I pass a smoker on the street, I can't even smell the tobacco, just the odour d'cat-crap. Had cigarettes not become so disgusting I'd probably still be smoking.

I still have urges for a cigarette but they don't make those any more. Even the thought of lighting up these modern toxic waste dumps makes me nauseous.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:19 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,648,588 times
I wish I could have gone to a bar before they banned smoking but it's really not a big deal. Almost every place has a small patio or rooftop area where you can get your smoke on.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:22 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,855,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
The American Taliban .... and double talk artist ... you're the one that wants bans, not me. You're the one that speaks from both side of the mouth .. "I have no problem with smoking, so long as no one smokes near me ... see how willing I am to compromise"? It's simple to get along with you right? You promise not to be offended so long as everyone agrees not to do anything that offends you!

Again, how mind numbingly magnanimous of you. How do you do it?
Having read your various posts (rants?), I can now understand why banning tobacco has become necessary. I hope more reasonable smokers can understand that it is a minority of zealots such as yourself that has caused them to be inconvenienced.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:26 PM

86 posts, read 267,731 times
I don't miss the point when I was in undergrad, and going out to pubs meant that you'd come home smelling like a used ashtray. It was part of the culture then, and I didn't really think twice of it until the ban was put in place starting in New York City, and then later New Jersey.

I'm sure it sucks for smokers, but it is nicer for everyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies