Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 08:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
No, unfortunately those who continue to live in willful and habitual sin are not right with God.

Being that we're all human, we all sin. But ask for forgivness, and you shall receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Because conservative, fundamental Christianity teaches and spreads hate, bigotry, fear, and intolerance.
You see what you want to see. I've been part of the church my whole life and was never once preached any of those things.

In fact, I've only encountered the opposite. Kindness, love, and acceptance. Of course some Churches and Christians are that way, but laying down a blanket statement like that exposes your close-minded and bigoted attitude.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I always laugh when I see athletes covered in tatoos point to the sky after a good play.
Do you? Do you really? Be honest.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:23 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Several pages ago from yesterday...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What about Abraham and all his wives then?
Did he get a dispensation from god?
BTW, I think we have had about all the "be fruitful and multiply" the earth can stand.
Abraham had Sarah as a wife, and one more after she died. No sure about all the wives you mention.

-------------------------

Side note - The people in the Bible are normal sinful people. They sinned just like we do. So we don't focus necessarily on the people, but how God responds to what people do.

So when David (whom I think you were referring to above) had all of his wives - he also had a messed up family because of that - his son was out of control, one of his daughters got raped and David did nothing about it.

David operated outside of God's design in with regards to his wives, and God allowed the circumstances of those relationships to make his life very difficult. I think America as a whole is in a similar window of activity - not only with homosexuality, but with other matters also.

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I know that there are a couple of loose lines in the bible that refer to men laying with men but why does that translate into gays not marrying? Why do you believe in those 2-3 sentences literally? Why do you ignore your religion in regards to things like women not wearing pants, no tattoos, wearing mixed fabric clothes, stoning unruly kids etc..? It's makes absolutely no sense.
Because Jesus did not revoke the Ten Commandments.

18,469 posts, read 31,635,068 times
There are so many different religions out there, I don't know why it is always the freaking catholic religion that has the problem, it makes me sick. I am not catholic, I don't give a rats arse what the Pope or any other catholic religious person think, it means squat to me. They mean squat to me. they are of no importance to me.

I think religion has been the root of all problems since day one on this planet.

I also think maybe we can call same sex joining something different other than marriage because everyone is having a problem with it....

If they want to have marriage between a man and a woman, then smarriage is for two men, and parraige could be 2 women....its just a label......really????

I also have a probelm with these people opposed to it, who are they?, I will never meet them, they make no impact on my life, why should they have a say in what is right for me. What gives one person the right to dictate to another what is right or wrong?

Like the fat old christian man on the TV this morning was opposed to it. So what, your fat and ugly, maybe fat and ugly men shouldn't be allowed to be married.....

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
You see what you want to see. I've been part of the church my whole life and was never once preached any of those things.

In fact, I've only encountered the opposite. Kindness, love, and acceptance. Of course some Churches and Christians are that way, but laying down a blanket statement like that exposes your close-minded and bigoted attitude.

No. He's right. Conservative, fundamentalist Christianity is like the Taliban-lite.

By the way: It's not "bigoted" to hate and call out the bigotry of others. I think people on City-Data need to figure out what being "open minded" and "close minded" really means. Cause it certainly doesn't mean you have to accept oppressive attitudes!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,208,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Indeed. Condoning sin is sin in itself.
I agree. Which is a part of my struggle. I'm all for equal rights. While I don't agree with homosexuality/gay marriage, I do support gay marriage on a human rights level. I will have to wrestle with my own sin in supporting gay marriage. But on a human level, I think a part of loving the sinner (and not the sin) is allowing them equal rights.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:24 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post

If you teach kindness, love, and acceptance - if you accept gay people for who they are and support them as being equal and equally as deserving of things like marriage and equal treatment - then you're not a conservative, fundamentalist Christian and I wasn't talking about you or your church. (Perhaps your church is one of these 7000 churches http://www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Chur...ted_states.htm )

You seem to be a liberal Christian. I have great respect for liberal Christians. In fact, that term describes most of my friend group.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:27 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Several pages ago from yesterday...

Abraham had Sarah as a wife, and one more after she died. No sure about all the wives you mention.
Abraham had an open marriage with his wife Sarah. She allowed him to sleep with the help, Hagar, whom SOME versions of the oft translated, oft misunderstood Bible suggest was either a "wife" or a "concubine" of Abraham.

Either way, it aint the American fundy version of "one man, one woman" any way you slice it!

Gen. 16:1, Gen.16:3, and Gen. 25:1.

See also: Gen 25:6 for more juicy reading about Abraham and Sarah's swinger-harem lifestyle marriage, and all the kids he had with his hos on the side.... err... "concubines."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies