Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2012, 10:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Yes, but provide an interpretation, along with a translation, so that we can have a meaningful discussion.

I do not subscribe to a denomination. I am Christian, no qualifier necessary. I have the KJ, NKJ, NIV and Living Translation versions of the Bible. None of them provide contradictory viewpoints on anything related to homosexuality and/or immortal sexual acts. If someone has a printed Bible that highlights a direct contradiction to the Bible's stance on homosexuality, please post.

Question: Was the original bible written in English?

(interestingly enough, King James, of the KJV version of the Bible, was a bisexual).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Why is it a dilemma? By being a Christian that supports the RIGHT of OTHERS to get married to the same sex, I don't see how that conflicts with your personal beliefs?

Does your religion teach you that you shouldn't allow people freedom of conscious and spirituality in their own right? The freedom to make their own choices and decisions?

Seems to me you have no spiritual dilemma because for YOURSELF, the choice is clear... marriage = man + woman. You won't get a gay marriage, because it's against your own belief.

Seems to me the only dilemma you would have is if you were gay and a Christian with the belief that marriage = man + woman!
Seriously, dude, what is your problem? This is strange indeed. I'm SUPPORTING gay marriage on a human rights level and you're pissed because I have a spiritual dilemma because of it? I would say that the ability to do the right thing, in spite of, is better, but whatever.

The dilemma is because as a Christian, you are not to associate and "hang out" with immoral people. To be in agreement with sin (which for many means agreeing/supporting gay marriage), makes you guilty of the sin as well.

I Corinthians 5:9-13: "I wrote you in my letter not to associate with immoral people; I did not at all mean with the immoral people of this world, or with the covetous and swindlers, or with idolaters, for then you would have to go out of the world. But actually, I wrote to you not to associate with any so–called brother if he is an immoral person, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or a swindler — not even to eat with such a one. For what have I to do with judging outsiders? Do you not judge those who are within the church?"

II Corinthians 6:14-17, "Do not be bound together with unbelievers; for what partnership have righteousness and lawlessness, or what fellowship has light with darkness? Or what harmony has Christ with Belial, or what has a believer in common with an unbeliever? Or what agreement has the temple of God with idols? For we are the temple of the living God; just as God said, “I will dwell in them and walk among them; And I will be their God, and they shall be My people. Therefore, come out from their midst and be separate,” says the Lord. “And do not touch what is unclean; And I will welcome you.”

So yes, it is a dilemma for me...but it's MY dilemma, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned with it.

4,320 posts, read 4,780,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
No, it's about equal treatment under the law and equal rights.

I'd like for my good friend Ben to be able to sponsor his husband Lukas for citizenship. If I marry a military member, I'd like for him to get increased family housing pay and I'd like the ability to shop at the base commissary and PX. I'd like to be exempted from estate taxes when my husband dies. And on and on and on.....

You know - rights given to married heterosexual couples that are denied to gay (even legally married gay) couples.

I don't need your acceptance of my "lifestyle." Nor will you ever receive my acceptance of your lifestyle of hate - please note however that I will not try and take away your rights and see you treated unequally under the law because of it. I'd appreciate the same courtesy from you if you don't mind.
There is one aspect of life that unites, controls, and affects all people. That one aspect is life's natural laws. They unite, control and affect people no matter what their race, gender, creed, or where on this planet they live.

Whoever or whatever is the creator revealed nature's law of right action. The law calls for people to be rational and honest not only regarding laws of physics but also in their thinking and behavior toward one another.

The law, itself, is the final arbiter of right action. It states: Right action gets right results whether it relates to laws of physics or to the law of behavior.

Ordinarily people unknowingly have been conducting their relationships to satisfy their purposes; not the purposes of the creator of natural laws. Such behavior explains why the earth's population has never been peacefully united and controlled nor favorably affected.

Do people intentionally refuse to meet the requirements of laws of physics: gravity for instance? No, they try their best to keep their balance or safely recover it whenever necessary.

Scriptures record the first wrong action of the created beings was their disobedience. It ended the perfect situation that had existed and resulted in the predicted penalties. More shockingly the admonition to obey ended with these words, "or you will surely die." Whether those accounts are actual or symbolic, they illustrate mankind's continuing behavioral problems from the past and today.

Obeying nature's law of right action unites people, giving them the benefits that then control and favorably affect their lives, and may void that final admonition, "or you will surely die."

Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,207,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
let's see

LIBERAL North carolina voted to DEFINE marriage as between one man and one woman..siad NOTHING about gay

and LIBERAL blacks voted 2-1 for the ammendment
What do liberal blacks have to do with anything?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:00 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,503,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You have yet to provide any proof of any type of contradiction.
Read the very first post. Christians get tatoos, women wear pants, eat shellfish, don't (typically) stone unruly children, etc, etc..The contradictions are born out in their actions. Why cherrypick the gay marriage (which is never mentioned in any bible) issue and ignore so many of the other "laws" in the bible.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcityguy View Post
This (and the other issues you asked about in your originial question) were asked and answered in the podcast I linked to in my last comment. You don't want to listen, so you obviously dont' really want to understand.

Again...it doesnt' mean it will change your viewpoint, but now you are commenting from a point of ignorance.

Let me give you a clue. Christian's AREN"T told not to eat shellfish (so your joke is now really idiotic (i.e...not funny) to anyone that understand basic Biblical history). Shellfish was prohibited in the Old Testament and related strickly to to God's chosen people, the Jews.

So it seems to me, if Christians feel they can ignore laws because those laws are meant to apply only to Jews.... then Christians should also believe and respect the perspective that those outside of Christianity should be able to marry as they please.

Right?

Of course, just as half the Jews in my office have no problem eating a ham sandwich, there will always be Christians who are gay who will want to get married, but that's between them and their religion. Not the government.

2,401 posts, read 4,346,859 times
Quote:
A different perspective. Consider the following, which relates to whether or not interest should be charged by people who lend money:

Exodus 22: 24-25, "If you lend money to one of your poor neighbors among my people, you shall not act like an extortioner toward him by demanding interest from him." This prohibition is repeated 22 times in the Old Testament.

Psalm 15 says, "Yahweh, who can find a home in your tent, who can dwell on your holy mountain? Whoever lives blamelessly, who acts uprightly, who speaks the truth from the heart, ... who asks no interest on loans, who takes no bribe to harm the innocent. No one who so acts can ever be shaken."

Deuteronomy 15:1-11 orders the cancellation of all debts at the end of every seventh year.

Now we KNOW that Christians do not follow these biblical usury laws, despite it being black and white IN THE BIBLE.

Is it a "spiritual dilemma" for you that banks are allowed to charge interest if they want to? Does the fact that banks can charge interest and NOT discharge the debt after 7 years force YOU to go against God's will and charge interest on a personal loan you make to a friend?

Would you think that the public should be able to vote based on the Bible and enact usury laws that adopt the biblical terms of loan law?
Fine, take that up with someone of the Jewish faith.

Christians received a new coventent with Jesus and thus the New Testament laws usurp the requirements laid out in the old Testament.

4,991 posts, read 4,503,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
There is one aspect of life that unites, controls, and affects all people. That one aspect is life's natural laws. They unite, control and affect people no matter what their race, gender, creed, or where on this planet they live.

Whoever or whatever is the creator revealed nature's law of right action. The law calls for people to be rational and honest not only regarding laws of physics but also in their thinking and behavior toward one another.

The law, itself, is the final arbiter of right action. It states: Right action gets right results whether it relates to laws of physics or to the law of behavior.

Ordinarily people unknowingly have been conducting their relationships to satisfy their purposes; not the purposes of the creator of natural laws. Such behavior explains why the earth's population has never been peacefully united and controlled nor favorably affected.

Do people intentionally refuse to meet the requirements of laws of physics: gravity for instance? No, they try their best to keep their balance or safely recover it whenever necessary.

Scriptures record the first wrong action of the created beings was their disobedience. It ended the perfect situation that had existed and resulted in the predicted penalties. More shockingly the admonition to obey ended with these words, "or you will surely die." Whether those accounts are actual or symbolic, they illustrate mankind's continuing behavioral problems from the past and today.

Obeying nature's law of right action unites people, giving them the benefits that then control and favorably affect their lives, and may void that final admonition, "or you will surely die."
If there is a "creator", it created gay people.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot;
So yes, it is a dilemma for me...but it's MY dilemma, so I'm not sure why you're so concerned with it.
Here's a clue:

If you don't want people to talk about your "spiritual dilemma"... then stop incessantly talking about how it poses one for you.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:02 AM

4,320 posts, read 4,780,691 times
Quote:
Question: Was the original bible written in English?

(interestingly enough, King James, of the KJV version of the Bible, was a bisexual).
The orignal manuscripts were written in Hebrew & Greek

if you had ever opened to page ONE in the King Jimmy's Bible you would find out that it has been DILIGENTLY TRANSLATED FROM THE ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPTS

I guess this proves to everyone here - you never even looked at PAGE ONE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies