Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 06:53 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,381,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I'm hearing a lot of blacks saying they're going to stay home on election day because of this. They're not going to vote for Romney, but they're not voting for Obama either.
I'm hearing some murmurs as well not sure how extensive it will be though. Also the election is 6 months away so the issue may fade to the background.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea...but i'll let a link do it for me.

Are Black People Too Religious?

One of the worst things to ever befall the AA community was our embrace of American style Judeo-Christian religion. Not that we had much choice at the time, but i wish we'd throw that damn yoke off. It's been a disaster and of no benefit to us for the most part.
You act as if it's just Christians are against homosexuality. The religions that the Africans had before coming to America also condemned homosexuality. Heck if African Americans were mostly Muslims today they would support the death penalty merely for folks committing a gay act.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:57 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,124,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm hearing some murmurs as well not sure how extensive it will be though. Also the election is 6 months away so the issue may fade to the background.
I believe it, maybe some of them are starting to wise up and get off the liberal plantation and starting to think for themselves and quit letting democrats tell them how to think.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:58 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,124,107 times
Quote:
You act as if it's just Christians are against homosexuality. The religions that the Africans had before coming to America also condemned homosexuality. Heck if African Americans were mostly Muslims today they would support the death penalty merely for folks committing a gay act.
Lol, 100% right. People always criticize Christians, but don't dare say anything about Muslims.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,202,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
I believe it, maybe some of them are starting to wise up and get off the liberal plantation and starting to think for themselves and quit letting democrats tell them how to think.
The liberal plantation drivel is played out. Blacks aren't letting Democrats telling them how to think. It just serves your purpose to believe that. That lame attempt at reverse psychology to get some black Republican converts isn't going to work.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:01 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,818,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Still doesn't mean that black people owe gays their allegiance. I'm sick of different groups using us for their gain. Then, when it turns out some of us don't support them, they talk ish about us.
For one: let's agree that a sufficient majority of African American voters oppose gay rights that we can, for the sake of argument, refer to "the African American" vote without regard to the supportive minority that we all know exists, agreed?

For two: if gays have, as a rule, always come to the aid of African Americans, you believe that African Americans don't owe the gay community reciprocal support?

Three: you didn't address my point that states that an African American person refusing to support gays is ideologically absurd.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:04 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,731,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Did you look to see what the other minority groups in North Carolina did, or is it only important to continue to obsess over what black folks are doing? Anything to charge blacks with bigotry so as to make you feel justified about your own feelings.

I swear, it's amazing how many productive hours you guys spend obsessing over the lives of blacks even down to how they vote. Don't you have anything else to do?

And yes...blacks are still gonna vote for Obama.
Most of them probably don't even associate with black people on a personal level. Yet they sit back, form their own biased opinion about an entire race of people based on images portrayed by rappers, Al, Jesse and what the media tells them. In reality I doubt that any of the flaming racists on this forum have ever taken the time to get to know those of us whose lifestyles are by far less dysfunctional than their own.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
For one: let's agree that a sufficient majority of African American voters oppose gay rights that we can, for the sake of argument, refer to "the African American" vote without regard to the supportive minority that we all know exists, agreed?
Fair enough, I don't know why folks get tripped up with the exceptions to the rules.

Quote:
For two: if gays have, as a rule, always come to the aid of African Americans, you believe that African Americans don't owe the gay community reciprocal support?
I'm not familiar with gays coming to any aid of African Americans in any meaningful way. Considering that homosexuality was illegal during the Civil Rights Era this aid would have been difficult.

Quote:
Three: you didn't address my point that states that an African American person refusing to support gays is ideologically absurd.
How so? So because African Americans were discriminated against they should support policies that directly contradict their religious beliefs? Now that's absurd.

Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,731,463 times
Quote:
Fair enough, I don't know why folks get tripped up with the exceptions to the rules.

I'm not familiar with gays coming to any aid of African Americans in any meaningful way. Considering that homosexuality was illegal during the Civil Rights Era this aid would have been difficult.

How so? So because African Americans were discriminated against they should support policies that directly contradict their religious beliefs? Now that's absurd.
Valid points, excellent post

Old 05-10-2012, 07:21 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,818,740 times
Quote:
How so? So because African Americans were discriminated against they should support policies that directly contradict their religious beliefs? Now that's absurd. yuck, yuck, yuck. Hee haw!
Fixed. Would you like to make snide comments that reveal ones stupidity, or would you like to have an entertaining troll session?

As previously stated, the absurdity is having a goal but maintaining values that serve to prevent the accomplishment of that goal.

Serving ones self-interest is a tenet of Christianity. Assisting gays in their efforts to attain equality serves the intersts of African Americans. Therefore, supporting gays is not contradictory to the religious beliefs of Christians.

I'll return for number two when this one is finished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies