Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:23 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times

Advertisements

3 food products and 5 household/personal items. Not bad.

I thought it would be a lot more. We do buy lots of second tier and independant products. I wonder how many of Costco's Kirkland brands are produced by those companies?

I would also suspect many of those brand products are produced by independant companies that slaps their name on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
3 food products and 5 household/personal items. Not bad.

I thought it would be a lot more. We do buy lots of second tier and independant products. I wonder how many of Costco's Kirkland brands are produced by those companies?
I wonder if people who always buy storebrand know who made their products? Distributed by is not the same as manufactured by, and if I can recall, I've never seen a manufactured by line on any product container of a storebrand, only a distributed by.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:25 AM

744 posts, read 811,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Is that all you buy?

It's just a bunch of junk food!
I buy Cheerios, the store brands are absolute garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They do a fantastic job!

Pffft, it is easy for mega corporations to acquire brands with entrenched consumer bases, muscle out the small guy and be successful. You are basically telling mike Tyson he did a fantastic job beating up a 6 yr old girl.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:26 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,686,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
I buy Cheerios, the store brands are absolute garbage.

BTW alphamale it is easy for mega corporations to acquire brands with entrenched consumer bases, muscle out the small guy and be successful. You are basically telling mike Tyson he did a fantastic job beating up a 6 yr old girl.
Malto Meal cereals.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:30 AM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
Actually, people might be very surprised who owns whom. If you look in the govt CAFRs and investment funds you can also see who has majority shares in every publicly traded corp.

All those drug advertisements on TV; think it is just advertising, think again. The Big 6 have serious money involved in Big Pharma.
You can do this same exercise w/ any public co.
What is JP Morgan Chase?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
I noticed this a long time ago with laundry detergents - so many choices, so few manufacturers.

This does reminds me of a recent frustrating experience. Old Spice - go figure - used to make the best disposable razor I have ever tried, and at a great price. About a year ago, these razors disappeared from stores.

A little research revealed that Old Spice is owned by P & G which of course also owns Gillette, which sells much pricier disposable razors.

My guess is that the Old Spice razors were cannibalizing sales of expensive Gillette razors, and therefore had to be discontinued.

Ain't capitalism great?

Old 05-10-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I noticed this a long time ago with laundry detergents - so many choices, so few manufacturers.

This does reminds me of a recent frustrating experience. Old Spice - go figure - used to make the best disposable razor I have ever tried, and at a great price. About a year ago, these razors disappeared from stores.

A little research revealed that Old Spice is owned by P & G which of course also owns Gillette, which sells much pricier disposable razors.

My guess is that the Old Spice razors were cannibalizing sales of expensive Gillette razors, and therefore had to be discontinued.

Ain't capitalism great?
I hope you are joking. We do not have capitalism.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:39 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
It seems like food wise as long as you don't eat a lot of processed foods you are off of the list. Stuff like toiletries might be a little more difficult.

The one that was really interesting was that Nestle owns Armani, Diesel, and Ralph Lauren. That was kind of a surprise to me.
Nestle also owns a 30% stake in L'Oreal.
You would be surprised what L'Oreal owns.
I buy very few processed foods, so I'm good.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:42 AM

Yeah some really great choices there.
Revealed – the capitalist network that runs the world - physics-math ...

quote:
An analysis of the relationships between 43,000 transnational corporations has identified a relatively small group of companies, mainly banks, with disproportionate power over the global economy.

"In effect, less than 1 per cent of the companies were able to control 40 per cent of the entire network," says Glattfelder. Most were financial institutions. The top 20 included Barclays Bank, JPMorgan Chase & Co, and The Goldman Sachs Group.

Old 05-10-2012, 11:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I wonder if people who always buy storebrand know who made their products? Distributed by is not the same as manufactured by, and if I can recall, I've never seen a manufactured by line on any product container of a storebrand, only a distributed by.
I would have to guess many of the store brands are manufactured in the same place as the brand name but you have to be careful because sometimes they are the seconds. You end up with bag full of french fries 1 inch long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies