Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 10:01 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
the topic is the front of Time magazine.. hey, If a woman did this in front of me, I would think she is weird and leave it like that.. no confrontation. I ignore.

It is another thing to display your child in such a pose to be seen all over the country.. the woman is insane.
No, she is trying to make a point. And to start a dialogue. It is working.

How come you cannot just ignore a magazine? Seems even easier to ignore than an actual living person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,937,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Obviously many people really do not believe women should have any choice about what they do with their own bodies. Most of these people are males not secure enough to be men.
Who's saying she shouldn't have a choice? Some of us are just saying it's not typical, which is why it might be viewed as weird... I haven't read through the whole thread yet, but so far I haven't seen anyone saying it should be illegal. Have you?

P.S. I'm a woman, but do not have children.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansdad View Post
Unfortunately for Americans they are unaware of what others' do. A lot of cultures breastfeed past the age of three. And it's about comfort and security for the child...not food.
I'm not unaware, in fact I am very aware that it's normal in other cultures... hence the reason I specified it's not typical in American culture. I'm allowed to have an opinion, though, and in my opinion a child that old is beyond needing that kind of comfort - or food. Btw, in many countries where you see older toddlers/children breastfeeding, it's also for economic reasons.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
You have gays thinking they have "rights",interracial marriage among others
Last time I checked, ALL American citizens have rights - gay, straight, or otherwise. And very interesting how you throw in interracial marriage, and then say this:

Quote:
IF you were to come out against anything that I have metioned you would considered a racist
Well... if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, chances are it's a duck.

But I'm not really sure how this is related to the thread's topic, so you obviously just wanted to get that off your back. Feel better now?

Old 05-11-2012, 11:01 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,253,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Some may follow this suggestion and start feeding their kids in the stores and I bet some people will think it quite normal.
Uh, you have a problem with women nursing their babies in stores?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
But the woman isn't in your home. She is in a public venue, the news stand, if she was breastfeeding her child in public would you still expect to be able to tell her politely or otherwise to stop?
Seriously! I always nursed my kids in public when the need arose- in the checkout line, in the bread aisle, at the meat counter. I was discreet about it and I'll bet 90% of the people I encountered didn't even realize at the time what I was even doing.

I can't imagine some idiot coming up to me and telling me I couldn't meet my baby's needs because it bothered them.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
OK...if the Mom wants to breast feed, good for her.

But WHY? I'm sorry, 3 year old kids have a fun mouth of teeth. Can't see that happening to any woman I know!

Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
An adult would not be bothered by what you describe and nothing would be inappropriate about it.
My friend was breastfeeding her child in public on Miami Beach and some conservative had to make a comment to her. I informed the conservative that I was turning the safety off and I was prepared to stand my ground.
This is very funny........not the man/women "the conservative"

Was your friend at least covered up? Not everyone is against it just because they choose to not have someone breastfeed right next to them.

Even if your friend was there first it's called have respect for others also, it's not about just your friend and her baby.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:18 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
After the fold you see this
Can see the message she was conveying wasn't taken very seriously..........

When will these kind of women learn showing boob just brings nothing to their cause, that's if these women had one in the first place.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:24 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,781,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlenextyear View Post
Is it possible to parent without having to subscribe to a philosophy?
How did all those parents manage before "philosophy" became fashionable (or would that be trendy)???

Old 05-11-2012, 11:25 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Anything to sell a few more copies of that has been derelict magazine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies