Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2012, 11:26 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post

But WHY? I'm sorry, 3 year old kids have a fun mouth of teeth.
I don't know why people keep mentioning "the teeth."

I don't remember the fact that my nursing toddlers had teeth as being a problem.

If I remember correctly, I had more problems when they were teething infants than when they were toddlers. It seems like I remember them wanting to gnaw when their teeth were coming in, but that later, once the teeth had come in, things settled down and there were no more problems.

Anyway, it couldn't have been too bad because the last two breastfed for a long time (3 1/2 and almost 4).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 11:37 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,484,516 times
Creepy.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:45 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Creepy.
What is?

Old 05-12-2012, 06:14 AM

62,959 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
We put babies and toddlers on display all the time. But when they are doing the most natural thing they can do, nurse, suddenly that is shameful and belongs behind closed doors?

I understand why this mother used this venue to make her point. She is trying to make it easier and more accepted for parents to make differing choices than the norm. While I am not a fan of much of the attachment parenting dogma, I completely support this woman's right to be proud of her family and their choices.
I never said it wasn't natural or that is was shameful. Sex is natural also but it doesn't belong on the cover of a major magazine. What part of that aren't you getting? I can't imagine anyone looking at that picture with a nearlly 4 year old standing on a chair sucking his mother's teet not finding it a little strange.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,353,461 times
Are these kids who are breastfed until they are five going to still be on their parents' insurance at 26 and living in their basement at 30?

I have two kids myself (grown), and they were introduced to a sippy cup by their first birthday. I was one of those rebels who sluffed off the LaLeche League and used formula. My kids are healthy and never had any ear infections or allergies.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-12-2012 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 06:34 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockside View Post
oy...here's a palate cleanser for you. "this week's time magazine cover features jamie lynne grumet, a 26-year-old woman breastfeeding her three-year-old son." time breastfeeding cover sparks controversy | the cutline - yahoo! News
milf

Old 05-12-2012, 07:15 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
milf
Is this suppose to be a complaiment..........

Old 05-12-2012, 07:20 AM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
You assume alot. I would not nor have I done that. I just don't like the fact that this is on a magazine cover. Some may follow this suggestion and start feeding their kids in the stores and I bet some people will think it quite normal. Tell me, would you do this to your child? Put him on a cover of Time suckling you?

I feel for the child, not the mother. She should have never let this ragazine print it.

If I saw someone feeding their child in their home.. I would say nothing. Nothing. it is not for me to say anything. But if the woman was to bring her child into my home and with my children present and do what she did on this cover , I would tell her to leave in a polite manner or do this privately, and if she was angered that is her problem.

If a person respects my rights I will respect theirs.

I stand my ground on what I believe but I also do not look for an argument.
Hate to break it to you, but in 45 states there are already laws on the books protecting mothers who nurse in public (any public or private venue):
Breastfeeding State Laws

Old 05-12-2012, 07:52 AM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,623 times
If TIME needs a "shock" picture to sell magazines, this should be telling you something.....

Oh, and BTW, yawnnnnnn.........zzzzzzzz

Old 05-12-2012, 07:53 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I never said it wasn't natural or that is was shameful. Sex is natural also but it doesn't belong on the cover of a major magazine. What part of that aren't you getting? I can't imagine anyone looking at that picture with a nearlly 4 year old standing on a chair sucking his mother's teet not finding it a little strange.
See, you do equate it to sex. It isnt sexual at all. It is feeding. Do we see people eating on magazines? Do we see children with bottles on magazines? Yes to both.

There is nothing sexual about feeding a child. And feeding a child is a normal act that is not a private one the way sex is therefore there is nothing wrong with it being done in public.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies