Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 02:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,197,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
there will always be envy,
Ah, now me thinks you are getting to the REAL root of the problem!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The thing is, if we end up with a society like the one I described on page 3, taking someone else's things no longer becomes a question of 'right' or 'wrong.' For someone in chronic, severe poverty, it's merely a matter of getting revenge on a system that seems completely rigged against you. You stop thinking of the people wealthier than you as human beings. Like I said, look to Brazil, if you want to see where this can lead.
Why look to Brazil? Different economy, different culture, different customs, different standard of living

No comparision

Old 09-19-2007, 02:30 PM

646 posts, read 1,785,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
OK, who should "narrow" the gaps? Think about it - in the case of a corporation, who "owns" the corporation? And, if the owners approve the compensation package, shouldn't the owners of that corporation have that right?

And, in the case of a sold proprietorship, shouldn't that owner of that business have the absolute right to decide the income they deserve? After all, they are taking all the risks?
Yes, since the owners, or more specifically, the appointed Board of Directors, set the top management salaries they shouldn't approve such compensation packages. I understand that they have the right to approve what I would call absurd or excessive salaries, but in other countries the priorities are different where owners do pay management more than the employees but not to the extent as here.

By the way, we're still waiting for your link to the Swedish law that says the owners can't earn more than the employees...

Old 09-19-2007, 02:32 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,337,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
The thing is, if we end up with a society like the one I described on page 3, taking someone else's things no longer becomes a question of 'right' or 'wrong.' For someone in chronic, severe poverty, it's merely a matter of getting revenge on a system that seems completely rigged against you. You stop thinking of the people wealthier than you as human beings. Like I said, look to Brazil, if you want to see where this can lead.
so you're supporting the theft of money from people? or "economic redistribution" if you will.. if so, then just go ahead and say it..

In you're post you're basically saying that poor people need to give it up now and there is no hope for them. All they can do for the rest of their lives is stew in anger until they do something very violent..

I can't even begin to analyze how flawed that logic is.. Anyone can do anything no matter what. My parents were poor and the first house I lived in was maybe as big as the living room in the house I live in now. I was also very poor when I first got married. We were 19 & 18 with a newborn and living in the upper portion of a house in a not really nice city..

HOWEVER, my parents worked to make something of their lives and are now very comfortable, but my dad worked his a$$ off for decades trying to get there.. He was always gone before I woke up and didn't get home until well after all of us ate dinner. He also did extra work to get more income..
and now you want to take this money from all of us? yeah right.. if you think people are just going to give up their money you're seriously living in a fantasy world.... there's absolutely nothing wrong with defending your property, especially in the state I'm in...

BTW, read my user title and please don't assume anything about me.. I love to burn people when they do that...
Quote:
Ah, now me thinks you are getting to the REAL root of the problem!
yes, but very few will admit it..

Most people look at things and say "you know what? I want to be like that. I think I'm going to make that my goal in life and I can do it". That's the way this country was built and it doesn't seem to exist much anymore.. Now people see something, want it, and pull out a gun and kill the rightful owner.. and then some jacka$$ will come up behind them and make up a lousy excuse for why they did it...

Old 09-19-2007, 02:38 PM

791 posts, read 2,219,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I don't know who said it, but someone was quoted as saying that the US is no longer a melting pot but more of a "salad bowl" with all the ingredients separated distinctly.
Well, now it's more of crap shoot...

Old 09-19-2007, 02:41 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,615,068 times
I'm a realist. Like I said, look at the trends. It's not good when income mobility between quintiles and deciles keeps declining.

Old 09-19-2007, 02:46 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,337,411 times
ahh, I have an idea now.. we'll work against nature and start killing off the strongest and most powerful.. we can make a prime time TV special out of it. Who wants to kill a millionaire.. people can compete for a chance to pull the power switch while the most hated rich person is strapped to an electric chair. That'll be great....

Old 09-19-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
Yes, since the owners, or more specifically, the appointed Board of Directors, set the top management salaries they shouldn't approve such compensation packages. I understand that they have the right to approve what I would call absurd or excessive salaries, but in other countries the priorities are different where owners do pay management more than the employees but not to the extent as here.
"Wealth" Tax in Sweden

The owners are the stockholders of a corp - and if the stockholders do not like the compensation package - then the stockholders have the right to object -

I don't care what other countries do - I only care about the United States

You really should learn about business

Old 09-19-2007, 03:24 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,562,785 times
"Wealth tax" - sounds frighteningly similar to the next concept that will become a part of the left-moving debate in this country - the "windfall profit tax."

Old 09-19-2007, 03:29 PM

646 posts, read 1,785,980 times
Quote:
"Wealth" Tax in Sweden

The owners are the stockholders of a corp - and if the stockholders do not like the compensation package - then the stockholders have the right to object -

I don't care what other countries do - I only care about the United States

You really should learn about business
Can you point out what I don't know about business so you can enlighten me? :-) Where did I say that the stockholders weren't the owners? The stockholders elect a board of directors that sets management salaries, but of course the stockholders could replace the board if they weren't satisfied with them, but usually there are just a few stockholders that have that kind of power and my point is that in the US those people don't act in the same way as in other countries.

And what specifically does this Swedish wealth tax do? Since you don't care about other countries, it seems to make no sense to throw around arguments that are untrue to try and make a point. I explained to you what the wealth tax is in a previous post, but you must have failed to read it. It is not limiting the owners from earning more than the employees.

Also, it's this ethnocentric view of that the US knows how to do everything best that can get us in trouble. Sometimes it's valuable to look at what other countries are doing to see if there are better options out there and if they would work in the US environment. For example, look at the car industry, clearly Japan has a better idea of how to run that than the US corporations so it does add value to broaden your perspective. I would highly recommend it :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies