U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:52 PM
 
57,029 posts, read 33,527,127 times
Reputation: 18824

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Nice comparison, 0bama's opinions are about as worthy of notice as Mickey's.
Right. Which is why it's all over the news and a billion threads are getting made about it.

Again, what is Mickey Mouse's opinion on Gay marriage because it has about as much validity as the opinion coming from a celibate Cardinal.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,355 posts, read 6,565,854 times
Reputation: 4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So where are Tim Dolan's admissions that sexual abuse of young people (usually young males) by priests and the protection of said priests by church hierarchy not only greatly undermines the Catholic Church but undermines society - as many of the victims of molestation by priests can never trust authority of any kind again?

No question the Catholic Church let too many homosexual males become priests and they molested boys. It was a huge mistake.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM
 
57,029 posts, read 33,527,127 times
Reputation: 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
No question the Catholic Church let too many homosexual males become priests and they molested boys. It was a huge mistake.
No, the Catholic church came into existence, and THAT was a huge mistake.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:00 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,443 posts, read 27,271,577 times
Reputation: 7453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
No question the Catholic Church let too many homosexual males become priests and they molested boys. It was a huge mistake.
Said "homosexual males" who denounced homosexuality and advocated antigay policies. The most antigay people are often closet cases.

Pedophiles are not homosexual. The crime has to do with holding power over kids rather than being attracted to physically mature people of the same sex. That's why you'll see heterosexual men molesting boys. Pedos are drawn to the Catholic priesthood (and the Protestant ministry, and Jewish rabbinate, and the Islamic clergy, etc. ) because they deliberately want jobs in which they'll be in contact with kids and hold power over kids. Same reason why they become teachers or scoutmasters.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:04 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,355 posts, read 6,565,854 times
Reputation: 4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, the Catholic church came into existence, and THAT was a huge mistake.

If you follow that logic, public schools coming into existence was a huge mistake because they are having the same problem, especially with lesbians molesting girls. Of course, it's not as newsworthy as when it involves a priest.

The problem is more with homosexuals. Maybe that was a huge mistake.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:05 PM
 
Location: St. Louis
7,355 posts, read 6,565,854 times
Reputation: 4422
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Pedophiles are not homosexual.
Oh, ok. If you say so.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:06 PM
 
57,029 posts, read 33,527,127 times
Reputation: 18824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
If you follow that logic, public schools coming into existence was a huge mistake because they are having the same problem, especially with lesbians molesting girls. Of course, it's not as newsworthy as when it involves a priest.

The problem is more with homosexuals. Maybe that was a huge mistake.
It's not as newsworthy because society holds priests to a higher standard than they hold your garden variety lesbian.

Of course the question then becomes:WHY? Because i sure as hell don't know. High standards and the Catholic Church aren't exactly potentially inclusive.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,869 posts, read 23,516,613 times
Reputation: 8661
That's why all of the states that have legalized it have fallen into anarchy I guess.........

(sarcasm alert)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
 
Location: Earth
17,443 posts, read 27,271,577 times
Reputation: 7453
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Oh, ok. If you say so.
Most pedophiles who molest boys self-identify as heterosexual.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2012, 06:40 PM
 
23,839 posts, read 22,261,430 times
Reputation: 9406
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So where are Tim Dolan's admissions that sexual abuse of young people (usually young males) by priests and the protection of said priests by church hierarchy not only greatly undermines the Catholic Church but undermines society - as many of the victims of molestation by priests can never trust authority of any kind again?
I'm sure if you do a Google search you'll find all kinds of apologies from the Catholic Church. I'm not a Catholic, nor am I a Catholic defender, but I do believe your argument here is pretty unfounded. I'm pretty sure they've acknowledged the wrong.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:35 PM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top