U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,353,657 times

Advertisements

This one is so easy I'm going to leave it alone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 08:09 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,316,900 times
At least gay marriage is between consenting adults versus man on boy sex that the catholic church condones.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-12-2012 at 05:05 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 05-10-2012, 08:38 PM

24,869 posts, read 23,524,101 times
Judge not, lest ye be judged.....

I'm just saying.

Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 PM

44,772 posts, read 23,364,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
The crimes were the illegal acts themselves and the coverup, and I didn't defend or even discuss that part of it.
You are missing the point, here. The molestations, as crimes, were committed by individuals. I am not blaming the Church as a body for those - it is damn hard to know ahead of time.

The cover-up, on the other hand, was a deliberate and systematic action by many senior Church officials. Exacerbated by other senior Church officials dragging their feet for as long as possible and withholding documentation when the authorities finally got wind of the situation. The Catholic Church can go do the Christian thing, which in this case is to shut up, do good Christian deeds, and reserve their preaching for the paying audience in their churches. It is laughable that they as a body feel they speak with any moral backing.

Quote:
It's the same with the epidemic of homosexual molestation of children in public schools, it's just not as widely reported.
It is quite regularly reported, the DoE - unlike the Church - hasn't been busted deliberatly moving offenders to a new group of children without warning, and finally: Schools do not pretend to speak with God's backing on moral issues. So - it's not the same. It's quite the opposite, actually.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:50 AM

7,355 posts, read 6,571,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You are missing the point, here. The molestations, as crimes, were committed by individuals. I am not blaming the Church as a body for those - it is damn hard to know ahead of time.

The cover-up, on the other hand, was a deliberate and systematic action by many senior Church officials. Exacerbated by other senior Church officials dragging their feet for as long as possible and withholding documentation when the authorities finally got wind of the situation. The Catholic Church can go do the Christian thing, which in this case is to shut up, do good Christian deeds, and reserve their preaching for the paying audience in their churches. It is laughable that they as a body feel they speak with any moral backing.

It is quite regularly reported, the DoE - unlike the Church - hasn't been busted deliberatly moving offenders to a new group of children without warning, and finally: Schools do not pretend to speak with God's backing on moral issues. So - it's not the same. It's quite the opposite, actually.

I'm not missing any points. Yes, the crimes were committed by individuals. Certain members of the church covered up those crimes, which was also a criminal act. All of it is reprehensible.

Schools do presume to speak with authority on moral issues, just not from a religious perspective. They do it all the time. I'm a product of public schools and have several children currently in public schools. I know of what I speak and to pretend otherwise is ludicrous. In fact, for our increasingly secular culture, schools and teachers are the predominate authority institutions and figures in our society for many.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:55 AM

57,029 posts, read 33,538,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What is that supposed to mean? Catholics can't have a say on how they want the country they live in to handle marriage because priests are not married? Why is your ridiculous opinion any more valid than their opinion?
Can you read English? It means what it says. Don't ask dumb questions.

And yea, it's pretty stupid to worry about what anyone in the Clergy thinks, but especially the Catholic clergy.

Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM

57,029 posts, read 33,538,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
How is this comment allowed to stand? This is one of the most hateful posts I've read on these boards and I'm not even Catholic.
Hateful as compared to what? Please...quit crying. You say hateful stuff on here all the time and you rarely get called on it. There is nothing hateful about what i said.

This from the guy that asked "what's wrong with Social Darwinism?"

Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,879,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Cardinal Dolan, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, described the president’s endorsement as “deeply saddening.”
Oh, no. The Cardinal haz a sad.

You're gonna be getting a lot sadder in the coming years, Dolan ...

Old 05-11-2012, 12:19 PM

44,772 posts, read 23,364,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
I'm not missing any points. Yes, the crimes were committed by individuals. Certain members of the church covered up those crimes, which was also a criminal act. All of it is reprehensible.
The cover-up ran deep, and reached very high-ranking officials - officials who stonewalled, rather than cooperate with the authorities who investigated. That's where organizational responsibility comes into play, and the organization failed that test, big time.

Quote:
Schools do presume to speak with authority on moral issues, just not from a religious perspective.
Oh, really? Has a school district superintendent spoken out on gay marriage lately? Has the head of the DoE commented on contraception?

The Cardinal can go speak to those of his flock who for whatever reason see him as a moral authority figure, but he should realize that his finger-wagging looks absolutely ludicrous to those outside his congregation.

Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 27,849,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/im...ws_2_18_12.jpg

Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan is charging President Barack Obama with undermining the “very cornerstone of society” by supporting “gay marriage.”

Cardinal Dolan, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, described the president’s endorsement as “deeply saddening.”

The bishops “cannot be silent in the face of words or actions that would undermine the institution of marriage, the very cornerstone of our society,” he said in a May 9 statement. “The people of this country, especially our children, deserve better.”

Cardinal Dolan said that the announcement was “not surprising” based on the Obama administration’s previous actions, which “erode or ignore the unique meaning of marriage.”
He called for prayer and efforts to “promote and protect marriage” in order to “serve the true good of all persons.”

Cardinal Dolan: Obama's 'gay marriage' support undermines society :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)
As opposed to rampant pedophelia that the church tries to hide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies