Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'm sure if you do a Google search you'll find all kinds of apologies from the Catholic Church. I'm not a Catholic, nor am I a Catholic defender, but I do believe your argument here is pretty unfounded. I'm pretty sure they've acknowledged the wrong.
The Catholic Church has apologized repeatedly. But has Cardinal Dolan himself apologized for what went on in the New York diocese?

As Dolan is considered a front runner for the papacy when Benedict dies, he should address this issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 05:51 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
You mean all the government employee unions, especially the teacher's one?
I'd just like to point out this normal, every-day, right wing conservative American just compared government employees unions and teacher's unions to pedophiles...

What thinking process brings anyone to compare hard working teachers, postal carriers, cops, fireman and garbage men-- all of who serve your community-- to pedophile priests?

I must assume this is Conservative mainstream though since I never see fellow Conservatives condemning this kind of sick nonsense.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,134,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
As Dolan is considered a front runner for the papacy when Benedict dies, he should address this issue.
I'll bet you a weeks pay that you won't see an American pope in our lifetimes.

Old 05-10-2012, 05:54 PM

11,431 posts, read 18,997,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
http://www.catholicnewsagency.com/im...ws_2_18_12.jpg

Cardinal Timothy M. Dolan is charging President Barack Obama with undermining the “very cornerstone of society†by supporting “gay marriage.â€

Cardinal Dolan, president of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, described the president’s endorsement as “deeply saddening.â€

The bishops “cannot be silent in the face of words or actions that would undermine the institution of marriage, the very cornerstone of our society,†he said in a May 9 statement. “The people of this country, especially our children, deserve better.â€

Cardinal Dolan said that the announcement was “not surprising†based on the Obama administration’s previous actions, which “erode or ignore the unique meaning of marriage.â€
He called for prayer and efforts to “promote and protect marriage†in order to “serve the true good of all persons.â€

Cardinal Dolan: Obama's 'gay marriage' support undermines society :: Catholic News Agency (CNA)
Did you expect anything any different from this voice of intolerance?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:14 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I'll bet you a weeks pay that you won't see an American pope in our lifetimes.
Wilton Gregory, the Archbishop of Atlanta, has also been considered "papabile" - he would not only be the first American pope but the first African-American pope and the first nonwhite pope.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:19 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nope.

Which is the laughable irony in it all.

I idea of celibate clergy getting diarrhea of the mouth regarding anyone's sexual proclivities is a joke. Catholics especially.
What is that supposed to mean? Catholics can't have a say on how they want the country they live in to handle marriage because priests are not married? Why is your ridiculous opinion any more valid than their opinion?

Old 05-10-2012, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The Catholic Church has apologized repeatedly. But has Cardinal Dolan himself apologized for what went on in the New York diocese?

He doesn't need to apologize for the actions of others. That's like saying Al Sharpton should apologize for all of the beatings that have happened as a result of the Trayvon Martin case.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No, the Catholic church came into existence, and THAT was a huge mistake.
How is this comment allowed to stand? This is one of the most hateful posts I've read on these boards and I'm not even Catholic.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:29 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
No question the Catholic Church let too many homosexual males become priests and they molested boys. It was a huge mistake.
Overlooking for second your confusion regarding pedophile vs. homosexual, the Catholic Church's crime (sorry, but "mistake" doens't fly here) was to systematically cover up the abuse and protect the abusers in their midst.

The Catholic Church can, as far as I'm concerned, remain quiet on issues of morality.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:42 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,014,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Overlooking for second your confusion regarding pedophile vs. homosexual, the Catholic Church's crime (sorry, but "mistake" doens't fly here) was to systematically cover up the abuse and protect the abusers in their midst.

The Catholic Church can, as far as I'm concerned, remain quiet on issues of morality.
No, the mistake was allowing so many homosexual men to become priests. The crimes were the illegal acts themselves and the coverup, and I didn't defend or even discuss that part of it.

It's the same with the epidemic of homosexual molestation of children in public schools, it's just not as widely reported.

Last edited by MUTGR; 05-10-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies