Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:58 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,418,524 times

Advertisements

I think Bill Clinton is right but of course he does not have the guts to say this publicly.

Quote:
Bill Clinton thought so little of President Obama — mocking him as an “amateur” — that he pressed his wife last summer to quit her job as secretary of state and challenge him in the primaries, a new book claims,
“The country needs you!” the former president told Hillary Clinton, urging her to run this year, according to accounts of the conversation included in Edward Klein’s new biography of Obama.
The title of Klein’s explosive, unauthorized bio of Obama, “The Amateur” (Regnery Publishing), was taken directly from Bill Clinton’s bombshell criticism of the president, the author said.
Read more: Bill Clinton calls Obama ‘amateur’ president: book - NYPOST.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:06 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,207,740 times
If this is true, it does not surprise me. I have little doubt the Clintons did explore that possibility. If Obama loses this election, you can take it to the bank that Hillary will start her own presidential campaign about 2014.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
If this is true, it does not surprise me. I have little doubt the Clintons did explore that possibility. If Obama loses this election, you can take it to the bank that Hillary will start her own presidential campaign about 2014.
I agree. I think Hilary made a wise decision to decline in '12. She would have invariably have lost as angry Black Dems would have rushed to Obama's side. Let Obama fall on his face and move in as a savior in '16 all the while not angering Black Dems.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
I find this very hard to believe to outright unbelievable, because the Clintons are the ultimate D party insiders, and the last thing they'd want to do is start a very bloody civil war in the party with an incumbent president. It makes zero sense politically, and the Clintons are both ALL ABOUT political street smarts. Whether you agree with their politics or not, they are formidable campaigners. Even the D primary in 08 was incredibly civil compared to our republican primary last year, and that was because they understood that they could do a lifetime of damage to each other in the primary that would make both camps unelectable later in a general.

I guess this goes to show that anyone can write a sensationalized "unauthorized biography" to make a few bucks. I think Hilary might change her mind to run in 2016, but it would have been political suicide for her to have made a run this round, and she and Bill both know that.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:15 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Contrary to conventional wisdom in liberal circles, Barack Obama is not a good President. It seems to me that those who dwell outside of the DC area have a real hard time understanding the intricacies of a good president vs. a bad president. Ideologically i'll never be on the same page as Barack Obama, but it's really not hard to see that we do have an amateur in the White House. If you pay moderately close attention, you can see that.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:18 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I find this very hard to believe to outright unbelievable, because the Clintons are the ultimate D party insiders, and the last thing they'd want to do is start a very bloody civil war in the party with an incumbent president. It makes zero sense politically, and the Clintons are both ALL ABOUT political street smarts. Whether you agree with their politics or not, they are formidable campaigners. Even the D primary in 08 was incredibly civil compared to our republican primary last year, and that was because they understood that they could do a lifetime of damage to each other in the primary that would make both camps unelectable later in a general.

I guess this goes to show that anyone can write a sensationalized "unauthorized biography" to make a few bucks. I think Hilary might change her mind to run in 2016, but it would have been political suicide for her to have made a run this round, and she and Bill both know that.
It seems you forget about slander and libel laws governing actual malice. "Unauthorized" is not a legal right to misquote someone. This book went through the appropriate legal review, no doubt about it. A person doesn't put words in the mouth of a former President without weighing the potential outcome.

Simply put: You just don't like what Clinton said because in your mind Obama can do no wrong.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
The problem I see was not whether or not a husband tried to convince his wife to run so he could have another go-round in the White house but that anybody thinks Hillary Clinton is:

1. Less radical than Obama
2. more qualified than Obama for an executive position.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:27 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,545,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
It seems you forget about slander and libel laws governing actual malice. "Unauthorized" is not a legal right to misquote someone. This book went through the appropriate legal review, no doubt about it. A person doesn't put words in the mouth of a former President without weighing the potential outcome.

Simply put: You just don't like what Clinton said because in your mind Obama can do no wrong.
No, he/she called it right. Primarying Obama would be the end of Hillary's career - people who primary sitting presidents n the modern era always end up losing and damaging their party (see: 1992, 1980).

And of course, the fact that Bill Clinton is publicly campaigning for Obama doesn't help matters in the slightest.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I think Bill Clinton is right but of course he does not have the guts to say this publicly.

Read more: Bill Clinton calls Obama ‘amateur’ president: book - NYPOST.com
You forgot to quote Clinton saying it. You only quoted "the country needs you" part.

Old 05-11-2012, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The problem I see was not whether or not a husband tried to convince his wife to run so he could have another go-round in the White house but that anybody thinks Hillary Clinton is:

1. Less radical than Obama
2. more qualified than Obama for an executive position.
1. She's probably less radical than Obama
2. She was definitely more quaified than Obama in '08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies