Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:22 AM

31,036 posts, read 22,064,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaNative35 View Post
Yes. And I'd say the scale can change over time, too. I'm bi and have become more interested in same-sex partners as I've gotten older. I've wondered if the change is purely physical or if there are emotional or other factors involved. Meaning, maybe I've become more emotionally attracted to women over the years without becoming more physically attracted. Or maybe I've just become LESS attracted to men without becoming more attracted to women.

Ha.

That was confusing to write.
Your post and some of the others have confirmed my belief and my experences that bisexuality is at least as varied and probably more varied than being gay or straight.
What's interesting to me is your experience with being more interested in women with age is opposite to what a previous poster stated and my limited experiences with women I have been with. Further proves the wide variation amongst bisexuals. Since human beings like putting others in nice tight boxes its no wonder why gays, lesbians and straights don't always now how to handle this segment of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 05:02 AM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times
Quote:
I read through part of this thread before becoming annoyed. I am bisexual and out. I am a 36 yr old female. I have had sex with men and with women, and I have had relationships with men and with women. I have never had a threesome, never even considered it really, not sure if I ever would do it.

Being bisexual is no more a choice than being gay or straight. Also, it does not make you more likely to cheat, it does not make you more promiscuous, it does not make you any less committed to any person at any time.

As for bisexuals being able to "pick a side" or whatever.... WHY? Why should I have to deny my feelings for men or women? That is no different than telling gays they cannot be gay or heteros that they cannot be with someone of the opposite gender. "Picking a side" means denying our feelings and sexuality.

Some bis remain in the closet or come out as gay because bisexuals are looked down upon by both gays and straights. I'm not sure most of us ever feel fully accepted by anyone. And that is sad, especially when the negativity comes from gays - people who should understand the importance of coming out, of being who you are, of social support and acceptance.

I am always scared to tell a potential partner that I am bi. If I tell a man I am bi, he either cheers and thinks a threesome is coming his way (ridiculous) or he backs off because he thinks I will leave him for another woman. For the record, I am no more likely to leave a man for another woman than I am to leave him for another man... and I am no more likely to leave him for someone else than he is to leave me (or you are to leave your current partner).

If I become involved with a lesbian and tell her I am bi, she either thinks I am just "experimenting" and am really straight, or she thinks I will leave her for a guy. Again, both ridiculous for reasons already mentioned.

Just my POV.
THANK YOU!!! The biphobia/myths on this thread were disheartening. Why don't more bisexual people come out, op? Jesus Freakin' Christ, read this thread to get a sample of the mindsets WE deal with. (Yes, I'm bisexual and a guy) Some more activist gays are under the impression that one must come out ASAP to live as a fully functional LGBT citizen, but with the unique challenges bi people face, men somewhat more so than women, is it a surprise that bisexuals choose to live on the "down low", or at least on a fairly restricted need-to-know basis?

Old 05-13-2012, 10:26 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
In our closed-minded society, it's difficult for many people to accept that there are folks out there who are GENUINELY attracted to both sexes. They might have a preference for one sex, but that doesn't nullify their attraction towards the other.

I have a friend who identifies as bisexual, and as he puts it, coming out as such would greatly decrease the number of women willing to give him any attention, and that creates a problem for him.

In my opinion, a culture that readily embraces casual and premarital sex doesn't really have the right to tell people that they have to choose ONE sex to be with; however, I can understand why those looking for a commitment would demand exclusivity. I would not get into a relationship with a bisexual woman.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:52 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,040 times
Again, a bisexual woman is NO different than a straight woman or gay woman. Being bisexual does not mean you cannot commit 100%; it does not mean you are any more likely to cheat than anyone else. WHY would it? Why? A bisexual person does not need both genders at the same time, anymore than a straight person needs two of the opposite sex at the same time.

Why would you not want to be with a bisexual woman, then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
I can understand why those looking for a commitment would demand exclusivity. I would not get into a relationship with a bisexual woman.

Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Again, a bisexual woman is NO different than a straight woman or gay woman. Being bisexual does not mean you cannot commit 100%; it does not mean you are any more likely to cheat than anyone else. WHY would it? Why? A bisexual person does not need both genders at the same time, anymore than a straight person needs two of the opposite sex at the same time.

Two words: Meredith Baxter.

And then you're stuck paying them alimony/child support when they bolt. I don't believe Meredith. I think she just got to the point of acting on her urges, after a crappy marriage to David Birney, according to what is reported.

People don't procreate with mates with whom there is a high chance they will leave. If a woman leaves you for another women, then it's even worse. It's happening more and more, as society accepts all these blended-up mish-moshes and is going more and more into the toilet.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:06 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,335,594 times
Quote:

We all have our preferences. I would not want to marry a woman who was sexually attracted to other women.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:09 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:

Being rejected due to your sexuality is fair game. So is being rejected due to race, body fat, brains and height. Being bisexual doesn't give you a special pass to force people to date you.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yippee. There is no such thing as a bi sexual.
Oh, really? Then kindly explain my wife to me. She likes to have sex with men AND with women.

What is she?

Old 05-13-2012, 02:23 PM

1,754 posts, read 2,468,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Oh, really? Then kindly explain my wife to me. She likes to have sex with men AND with women.

What is she?
Loose.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:50 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,616,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwamjn View Post
Loose.
Just the way I like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies