Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 07:37 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times

Advertisements

Germany is a "high-trust," low-crime society. Its murder rate is almost seven times lower than the US rate. The US is more of a compromise between the first-world and the third-world when it comes to issues of crime, and especially homicide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 07:44 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
This is incredible. U.S. law enforcement must have a lot to learn from the Germans.
I think you might be exaggerating with your topic statement -- 85 at one suspect? Do you have any evidence, or are you just hyping?

Old 05-11-2012, 07:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
I also willing to bet that if a cop in Germany says to stop doing something, those people will stop doing it, who ever the person is.
That would be the wisest course of action. Unlike the US, there is no such thing as "police brutality" in Germany. The Polizei also carry sub-machine guns.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:01 PM

3,451 posts, read 7,054,610 times
Years ago while living in Munich I was walking through Karlsplatz, (a large square in central Munich) where a group of young US soldiers were standing around listening to a large boombox at full volume.

The Polizei walked through, noticed the group of soldiers and asked them to turn the volume down. They did as asked...but as soon as the two Polizei officers walked away they turned the volume back up.

The Polizei officers heard this, walked over to the soldiers, grabbed the boombox, threw it on the ground, ans smashed it to pieces.

There was nothing the young soldiers could do...no recourse of any kind.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:08 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times
Quote:
This is incredible. U.S. law enforcement must have a lot to learn from the Germans.

World News - German police fired just 85 bullets total in 2011
Agree with the OP, but differ on what we should learn...

Our law enforcement needs to be as forceful enforcing immigration and criminal laws as the German police....

I wonder what the relationship is when it comes to beating people with truncheons and billy clubs, methinks the German police take the prize there....

Old 05-11-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Agree with the OP, but differ on what we should learn...

Our law enforcement needs to be as forceful enforcing immigration and criminal laws as the German police....

I wonder what the relationship is when it comes to beating people with truncheons and billy clubs, methinks the German police take the prize there....
Like the US, there are two kinds of German police. The regular Polizei are run by the various States (like our State Troopers and local police). They also have the Bundespolizei, which are uniformed Federal police that answer to the German Ministry of the Interior. It is the Bundespolizei who are responsible for enforcing immigration law, not the regular Polizei.

With regard to police brutality, they do not keep those statistics in Germany. The police pretty much have free reign to do whatever they please.

I was at an intersection behind a Polizei vehicle, who was also behind another vehicle. It was a red light, and the officer got out his vehicle, walked up to the vehicle in front of him and asked the driver to roll-down his window. When the driver rolled-down his window the Polizei officer popped the driver three times in the face with his fist, then walked back to his vehicle and drove around the other driver who was still stopped at the intersection, even after the light turned green.

I have absolutely no idea what caused the Polizei officer to whack this guy three times in the face, nor was I interested enough to find out. I drove off, leaving the guy at the intersection. I knew better than to question the actions of the German Polizei.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:

World News - German police fired just 85 bullets total in 2011
That, or US suspects have a lot to learn from the Germans.

[like the meanings of stop, pull over, get down, hands in the air, put down the gun, etc.]

Old 05-11-2012, 08:37 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
The culture is entirely different over there.

We have 300 million people, they have 80 million.

Their gun regulations are very strict, ours are not.

To own a gun in Germany you have to have a registration for every firearm you own and license. They also don't have the violence that we have.

In Austria you have to pass a psychological examination, how many Americans would submit to that, it's not required for gun ownership in the USA.

The culture is not similar to American society.
That's right. You don't see riots in Germany over $300 sneakers.

Most Germans speak at least two languages, how many Americans speak more than one language?

Old 05-11-2012, 08:41 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

Most Germans speak at least two languages, how many Americans speak more than one language?
There are many who know a little English.

[un poquito]

Old 05-11-2012, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I saw plenty of riots and protests in Germany when I was there. In that respect, they are not unlike Americans. Also, Americans go crazy and trash their own town after winning a big game, and the Germans also go crazy and trash their own town after winning a big game.

Quite a few Americans speak more than one language, including myself. Unlike in Germany, a foreign language is not compulsory in the US in most cases. Whereas all Germans are required to learn English by the time they graduate High School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies