Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:06 AM

3,201 posts, read 3,856,510 times

Advertisements

Obama chose to lose a second term with his gay marriage stance.

Ohio and Florida are socially conservative, and will assuredly vote Republican in Novemeber.

I imagine he is relieved he won't ever have to deal with the economy.

I bet Obama will focus on basketball, vacations, smoking reefer, drinking Miller 64, and listening to "School's out for Summer" for the next six months.

Why would Obama want to be reelected.

He will be remembered for taking a bold stance on a social issue in the history books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 08:37 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post

Ohio and Florida are socially conservative, and will assuredly vote Republican in Novemeber.

I bet Obama will focus on basketball, vacations, smoking reefer, drinking Miller 64, and listening to "School's out for Summer" for the next six months.

He will be remembered for taking a bold stance on a social issue in the history books.

Yes, political suicide. Just like when Truman tried to pass a civil rights bill in '47. What? You mean Truman defeated Dewey in '48?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:19 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,540,758 times
Meanwhile; Romney, the republican savior, continues to pander and flip-flop on every issue to just get some votes.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post

Ohio is not that socially conservative, and there is now a growing effort there to overturn its own gay marriage ban. All 3 main cities are leading this change. And Obama is leading in all recent polling.

The fact is that the election won't come down to this issue, anyway. It will be about the economy, which is slowly improving.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,907 times
Exactly! He will forever be the president who stood up for equal rights for all citizens. With his stance, he has assured himself a spot in the Parthenon of great American presidents (if for no other reason that this - well, he's also the first black president which, I am sure, already ensures a certain legacy).

Like all issues of inequality, discrimination against our homosexual fellow citizens will, invariably, be resolved by granting equal rights. It's simply a matter of time - and Obama will long be remembered as a champion of the US constitution for that very reason.

Even if this stance were to cost him re-election, it's a brilliant move after all and he has certainly placed the ball of discrimination firmly in the hands of republicans.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:28 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,103,317 times
It will take more than an endorsement of gay marriage to defeat an incumbent with a 50% approval rating, while 49% of Americans also favor gay marriage.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:31 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,996,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Meanwhile; Romney, the republican savior, continues to pander and flip-flop on every issue to just get some votes.
Well gee it also sounds alot like Mr. Hope we can ...I hope we can...I hope we can defeat the Republican...Don't want to miss my Tea time with Led Zeppelin...in my shinny new [canadian] bus...Magic Bus....pass that doobie Michelle quit bogarting it....WOW....

Old 05-13-2012, 09:34 AM

46,260 posts, read 27,078,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
And the gay marriage thing with obama....oh yea, that is evolving, not flip-flopping...

Old 05-13-2012, 09:35 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,049,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Exactly! He will forever be the president who stood up for equal rights for all citizens. With his stance, he has assured himself a spot in the Parthenon of great American presidents (if for no other reason that this - well, he's also the first black president which, I am sure, already ensures a certain legacy).

Like all issues of inequality, discrimination against our homosexual fellow citizens will, invariably, be resolved by granting equal rights. It's simply a matter of time - and Obama will long be remembered as a champion of the US constitution for that very reason.

Even if this stance were to cost him re-election, it's a brilliant move after all and he has certainly placed the ball of discrimination firmly in the hands of republicans.
The below facts are problematic to those in favor of gay marriage, so they will deny or skirt this issues:

- Marriage is not an outright civil right; that is why states have varying prereqs for couples before they can marry

- A civil right is based upon something you are born with and cannot control; race, ethnicity, gender. To this day there is NO conclusive scientific proof that people are born gay, only that they may be born with certain propensities to strong urges including alcoholism, sex-addiction, etc (despite activists attempts to convince us otherwise such as the "gay gene" fraud story several years ago)

Old 05-13-2012, 09:45 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
As a Floridian myself Florida isn't that "socially" Conservaritive unless you count in "lower Alabama/ the Panhandle"!
President Obama won Florida by 236,000 votes! The largest vote total of any state in the South.
Florida is a pretty "Gay" state to begin with starting with " Gay Disney" days in June that runs for a week.
Key West, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami & Orlando have large Gay populations as well.
Miami-Dade, Broward & Orange counties have laws prohibiting employers from firing people due to "sexual orientation".
Obama won't lose Florida over his stance on "Gay marriage"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies