Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:25 AM

281 posts, read 446,871 times

Advertisements

'They die piece by piece'

A shocking article on what goes on inside slaughter houses. People probably like to think animals die instantly, but apparantly that is not the case. Botched slaughters condemn animals to move down the processing lines fully conscious, all the while being skinned, boiled and hacked into, sometimes for up to seven minutes long. Nothing is done to stop it, because stopping the line costs time and time is money.

Now, I imagine most sane people would not hack their dog's legs off or boil their cat alive. Most people would also not do that to other animals and if they saw someone doing it, would probably intervene. Such acts are considered criminal and would cause massive outrage. Just look at Mitt Romney's dog and that was far less of an atrocity. However, once out of sight in slaughter houses, it seems such sentiments suddenly do not apply anymore. Not many people concern themselves with what happened to the cow prior to being turned into the neat slab of meat lying on the plate. Where does this disconnect come from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 03:33 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post

A shocking article on what goes on inside slaughter houses. People probably like to think animals die instantly, but apparantly that is not the case. Botched slaughters condemn animals to move down the processing lines fully conscious, all the while being skinned, boiled and hacked into, sometimes for up to seven minutes long. Nothing is done to stop it, because stopping the line costs time and time is money.

Now, I imagine most sane people would not hack their dog's legs off or boil their cat alive. Most people would also not do that to other animals and if they saw someone doing it, would probably intervene. Such acts are considered criminal and would cause massive outrage. Just look at Mitt Romney's dog and that was far less of an atrocity. However, once out of sight in slaughter houses, it seems such sentiments suddenly do not apply anymore. Not many people concern themselves with what happened to the cow prior to being turned into the neat slab of meat lying on the plate. Where does this disconnect come from?
Plants live lives too, just at an extraordinarly slow pace. They have their trials and tribulations, and fight their very environment for survival, yet nobody seems to complain when humans, vegetarians, omnivores, and meat-eaters alike tear them brutally from their earthen home and devour them.

Perhaps it's because we realize it's food. We grow and process these animals explicitly for food and product. The cow is a genius way to convert the sun into energy we can use. Until we can grow cow on a slab, we'll continue to use slaughterhouses to process our food.

And I have zero problem with that.

Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:

Where does this disconnect come from?
Most people have never been or have no idea what goes on in a slaughter house,they just think meat comes from the super market.
As for Romney's dog, while we all like to take him to task for putting the dog in a car carrier and strap it to the roof of the car its been my experience with dogs that if the choice was theirs to make they'd pick the roof position every time..

Old 05-13-2012, 04:06 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Plants live lives too, just at an extraordinarly slow pace. They have their trials and tribulations, and fight their very environment for survival, yet nobody seems to complain when humans, vegetarians, omnivores, and meat-eaters alike tear them brutally from their earthen home and devour them.

Perhaps it's because we realize it's food. We grow and process these animals explicitly for food and product. The cow is a genius way to convert the sun into energy we can use. Until we can grow cow on a slab, we'll continue to use slaughterhouses to process our food.

And I have zero problem with that.
I always have to question the intelligence of those who compare animals to plants. Are you a plant?

Old 05-13-2012, 06:50 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:

Obviously you have never been hunting, or had to kill an animal for food yourself. Let me guess, you buy your cellophane-wrapped meat from the grocery store and have just recently become aware that critters are actually KILLED to provide your meat.

If anyone attempted to intervene, interfere, or harass me while I am hunting, they will either end up dead or in prison. It is illegal to intervene, interfere, or harass hunters while on a legal hunt sanctioned by the State.

You clearly have no idea what a sane person would do.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 AM

1,182 posts, read 1,139,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Obviously you have never been hunting, or had to kill an animal for food yourself. Let me guess, you buy your cellophane-wrapped meat from the grocery store and have just recently become aware that critters are actually KILLED to provide your meat.

If anyone attempted to intervene, interfere, or harass me while I am hunting, they will either end up dead or in prison. It is illegal to intervene, interfere, or harass hunters while on a legal hunt sanctioned by the State.

You clearly have no idea what a sane person would do.
What did the original post have to do with hunters? Who honestly wants to go into the woods and look for animals to kill every weekend? People with no other life I guess.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:18 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,915,570 times
Quote:

Do you have something more recent than a TWELVE YEAR OLD article to show this is still a problem?

Old 05-13-2012, 07:27 AM

1,332 posts, read 994,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
What did the original post have to do with hunters? Who honestly wants to go into the woods and look for animals to kill every weekend? People with no other life I guess.
You know...that is really a completely ignorant response. There are STILL people who depend on hunting for a large part of their food supply. Deer...Elk...Moose...Pheasant...Turkey...Rabbits.. ..Squirrels ALL represent very good and HEALTHY meat.

Only a pampered fool would diss people who have no real choice OTHER than to hunt. My father had to do it....so did his father.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:49 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruin Rick View Post
When the OP erroneously presumed that "Most people would also not do that to other animals and if they saw someone doing it, would probably intervene. Such acts are considered criminal and would cause massive outrage."

Such acts are NOT considered criminal, or cause "massive outrage", except for the OP apparently. In fact, those acts are performed by hunters all the time. It is called "field-dressing" your game.

If you prefer to eat the chemical- and hormone-laden garbage meat they sell in grocery stores, that is entirely your choice. I prefer to eat non-contaminated meat, and that is entirely my choice.

Old 05-13-2012, 07:54 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times
Chicken, beef and pork taste good piece by piece as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies