Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 05:44 PM

115 posts, read 335,775 times

Advertisements

War means a windfall for CEOs - MSN Money

While policymakers in Washington wrangle over how much progress we've made in Iraq, one thing is clear: The war on terror is making some people rich.
President Bush's military buildup has caused defense-contractor revenue to double, triple and even more during the past five years, and their executives have reaped huge bonuses and stock windfalls as the companies' share prices have jumped.
Take a look:
  • CEOs at top defense contractors have reaped annual pay gains of 200% to 688% in the years since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.
  • The chief executives at the seven defense contractors whose bosses made the most pocketed nearly a half-billion dollars from 2002 through last year.
  • The CEOs made an average of $12.4 million a year, easily more than the average corporate chief. Since the start of the war, CEOs at defense contractors such General Dynamics (GD, news, msgs), Halliburton (HAL, news, msgs) and Oshkosh Truck (OSK, news, msgs) have made, on average, more in four days than what a top general makes in a whole year, or $187,390.
Defense contractor CEOs are enjoying these big rewards partly because much of the war effort is being outsourced by an administration that believes private companies do things better than the public sector, say researchers at the Institute for Policy Studies (broken link) and United for a Fair Economy.

"In the most privatized war in history, lucrative opportunities abound for chief executives of defense contractors," says Sarah Anderson of the Institute for Policy Studies. $19.5 million a year

General Dynamics CEO Nicholas Chabraja tops the list of defense-contractor chiefs who have made the most money during the 2002-2006 defense buildup. Between 2002 and 2006, he pocketed $97.9 million, or an average of $19.6 million a year.

Sales at General Dynamics increased 76% from 2002 to 2006, with significant help from Department of Defense spending. Overall sales increased to $24.1 billion from $13.6 billion, and at least a third of that increase came from higher Department of Defense spending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2007, 05:48 PM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
no doubt you'll have some posters come along soon and say that you are just "envious"... LOL. Some people don't care who gets killed and what is destroyed, as long as there is a buck to be made.

Old 09-19-2007, 05:59 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
They are envious - clearly

They are the "have nots" and don't like the "haves" to be able to drive the fancy car while they are stuck in their little car

LOLOLOL

Old 09-19-2007, 06:01 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by francej16 View Post
War means a windfall for CEOs - MSN Money

While policymakers in Washington wrangle over how much progress we've made in Iraq, one thing is clear: The war on terror is making some people rich.
President Bush's military buildup has caused defense-contractor revenue to double, triple and even more during the past five years, and their executives have reaped huge bonuses and stock windfalls as the companies' share prices have jumped.
Take a look:
  • CEOs at top defense contractors have reaped annual pay gains of 200% to 688% in the years since the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.
  • The chief executives at the seven defense contractors whose bosses made the most pocketed nearly a half-billion dollars from 2002 through last year.
  • The CEOs made an average of $12.4 million a year, easily more than the average corporate chief. Since the start of the war, CEOs at defense contractors such General Dynamics (GD, news, msgs), Halliburton (HAL, news, msgs) and Oshkosh Truck (OSK, news, msgs) have made, on average, more in four days than what a top general makes in a whole year, or $187,390.
Defense contractor CEOs are enjoying these big rewards partly because much of the war effort is being outsourced by an administration that believes private companies do things better than the public sector, say researchers at the Institute for Policy Studies (broken link) and United for a Fair Economy.

"In the most privatized war in history, lucrative opportunities abound for chief executives of defense contractors," says Sarah Anderson of the Institute for Policy Studies. $19.5 million a year

General Dynamics CEO Nicholas Chabraja tops the list of defense-contractor chiefs who have made the most money during the 2002-2006 defense buildup. Between 2002 and 2006, he pocketed $97.9 million, or an average of $19.6 million a year.

Sales at General Dynamics increased 76% from 2002 to 2006, with significant help from Department of Defense spending. Overall sales increased to $24.1 billion from $13.6 billion, and at least a third of that increase came from higher Department of Defense spending.
is it just me or everytime i go to a hospital everything has got a "stryker" label on it? aren't those the new assault vehicles?
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-19-2007, 06:03 PM

I guess you live on a totally different planet. I have no desire to make money off wars. Wars mean death and destruction. I wouldn't want to trade with any of those that made all that money.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I guess you live on a totally different planet. I have no desire to make money off wars. Wars mean death and destruction. I wouldn't want to trade with any of those that made all that money.
Hey - war or peace. I don't ever intend to approve of limiting incomes of anyone - period

Heck, many whole towns "Make Money" during war time - you want to limit growth of cities around military bases?

Or, do you want to limit R+D during war time? Even that which can be used in civilian applications (study up on the development of the commercial jet liners)

Old 09-19-2007, 06:08 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
Wow, if the amount they make keeps going up, they will soon be making what the top NFL, NBA and MLB stars make for chucking a ball around for 2-3 hours.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
Wow, if the amount they make keeps going up, they will soon be making what the top NFL, NBA and MLB stars make for chucking a ball around for 2-3 hours.
LOLOLOL

You got that right!!

Old 09-19-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Hey - war or peace. I don't ever intend to approve of limiting incomes of anyone - period

Heck, many whole towns "Make Money" during war time - you want to limit growth of cities around military bases?

Or, do you want to limit R+D during war time? Even that which can be used in civilian applications (study up on the development of the commercial jet liners)
I figured that out by now, LOL. You and I are on a totally different page on this. I would NEVER knowingly want to make any money based on the suffering of others. That is why I invest my money in socially resonsible funds.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:14 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
I made some money by betting against the dollar. That's not strictly related to the Iraq war, but I doubt the war did much to boost the dollar's value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies