Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 02:26 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

So says our vice president..........

“Air that has too much coal in it, corn syrup next, then a terrorist attack. But that is not in any way to diminish the fact that a terrorist attack is real. It is not an existential threat to bringing down the country, but it does have the capacity, still, to kill thousands of people. But hundreds of thousands of people die and their lives are shortened because of coal plants, coal-fired plants and because of corn syrup.”

I think the greatest threat this country is facing is bumbling idiot communists sitting in DC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 04:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Since I'm allergic to corn it probably is a bigger threat to me than terrorism

Old 05-13-2012, 04:58 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,858,478 times
Obesity is killing a lot more Americans than Angry Muslims.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:16 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times
HFCS is a consequence of government regulations maintained at the behest of the sugar lobby. Tim Carney has an excellent chapter on the history in his book The Big Ripoff.
Big business, big government, 'Big Ripoff' - The Boston Globe

It is web of regs that has driven soft drink makers away from sugar and towards HFCS. Coca cola in Mexico and other countries uses real sugar, not HFCS, because they don't have the same pricing regs on sugar as we do. It has also driven some candy makers such as Brach to relocate operations to other countries.
Much of USA's Valentine's candy came from Mexico - ABC News

So Obama and Biden have been in office over three years now. If HFCS is more dangerous than terrorism, why have they not lifted a finger to address the policies of corporate welfare for the sugar industry?

Old 05-13-2012, 05:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
What is a biigger threat than terrorism? A kid bringing a peanut butter sandwich to school. Wait a second.--- Some would call the kid a terrorist for bring a peanut butter sandwich to school. Isn't that a zero tolerance, immediate suspension action? Bring in the haz-mat clean up crew.

Old 05-13-2012, 05:59 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times
Why do we even listen to this guy anymore? I mean I get hes the president, and that we need to respect the office, and believe me I do. I just can stand the words that come out of his mouth. I can't even watch him on tv without hitting the mute button.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:05 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebaldknobber View Post
Obesity is killing a lot more Americans than Angry Muslims.
Bingo, dirty coal and high fructose corn slime are real things that touch many of us every day. The BS "fear the boogie man terrorist" is something few of us will ever deal with. What was bush's advice to us after 9-11? Go out and shop???

The dangers of HFCS are real. I stopped eating it about four years ago and have shed 50 pounds. Read those labels that garbage is in everything.

Coal is not good for anyone. Remember acid rain? I remember the black soot on everything growing up three miles down wind of a coal fired plant (Avon Lake, Ohio) in the 1960's. I now live with chronic lung disease.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:12 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
HFCS is a consequence of government regulations maintained at the behest of the sugar lobby. Tim Carney has an excellent chapter on the history in his book The Big Ripoff.

It is web of regs that has driven soft drink makers away from sugar and towards HFCS. Coca cola in Mexico and other countries uses real sugar, not HFCS, because they don't have the same pricing regs on sugar as we do. It has also driven some candy makers such as Brach to relocate operations to other countries.

So Obama and Biden have been in office over three years now. If HFCS is more dangerous than terrorism, why have they not lifted a finger to address the policies of corporate welfare for the sugar industry?
You think anyone stands a chance going against big Ag? Follow the money.

You aren't going to fix anything as long as $$$$ = speech. Who ever has all the money controls speech.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:31 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Bingo, dirty coal and high fructose corn slime are real things that touch many of us every day. The BS "fear the boogie man terrorist" is something few of us will ever deal with. What was bush's advice to us after 9-11? Go out and shop???

The dangers of HFCS are real. I stopped eating it about four years ago and have shed 50 pounds. Read those labels that garbage is in everything.

Coal is not good for anyone. Remember acid rain? I remember the black soot on everything growing up three miles down wind of a coal fired plant (Avon Lake, Ohio) in the 1960's. I now live with chronic lung disease.
In the 1960 they didn't have the clean coal technology that they do today. Don't blame the coal, blame your parents for choosing to live near a coal fired plant.

And that "BS" that you talk about in your first paragraph, I guess we should just pretend that the war doesn't exist right? We all deal with it; it is effecting our country. We are a country, and what threatens some of us should threaten all of us. We shouldn't live in fear, we should live ready to fight for our safety and our freedom. We should live ready to kick the ass of anyone who threatens this country, foreign or domestic. And it wouldn't kill some of us to be just a little more patriotic.

Old 05-13-2012, 06:53 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

Look at how long the powers that be worked to keep Stevia from being sold/grown in the USA. They were aftraid it would negatively impact the manufacturers of the artifical sweetener poisons.

The Obama administration has made it more difficult for small farmers/organic farmers/backyard farmers to sell their goods at farmer's markets or just to neighbors using co-ops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies