Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 09:06 PM

1,922 posts, read 1,745,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Here's a start: having the Republican Party actually care about minorities--and by that, I mean oppressed groups, not the top 1%.
Care about minorities?.... what does that mean to you?

I want the government to follow the COTUS and as much as possible leave me the heck alone.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What exactly in the GOP's platform is specifically hostile to African-Americans?

I mean this notion that because some members of the GOp are bigots doesn't hold much water. There are substantial segments of the Dem Party that are also bigoted.
Good question, Edward.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:08 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Hey, the logical fallacy argumentum ad numero was your choice, not mine. So keeping going with your list to make your point. How many more people can you list?
I didn't think so, you couldn't name five minorities in Obama admin. Again how many black or Hispanic governors do the democrats have? How many black or Hispanic secretary of states(the highest cabinet position) have served under a democrat?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:09 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_IA View Post
Care about minorities?.... what does that mean to you?

I want the government to follow the COTUS and as much as possible leave me the heck alone.
Stand up for everyone's rights, not just the White (Christian, heterosexual, middle-to-upper-class, able-bodied, privileged, masculine-identified) man's.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:10 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I'm a free thinking registered independent Black person who has no problem voting for the GOP. Most African Americans are not free thinkers hence why they are firmly Democrats.
Most Black Americans don't want to vote for a party that has for the 45 years used racial animosity towards Black American to curry favor with Southern White voters and other with a vested interest in the continued social, political and economic disenfranchisement of Black Americans

The Republicans have admitted as much.

USATODAY.com - GOP: 'We were wrong' to play racial politics

Quote:
Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman apologized to one of the nation's largest black civil rights groups Thursday, saying Republicans had not done enough to court blacks in the past and had exploited racial strife to court wh[/b]ite voters, particularly in the South.

"Some Republicans gave up on winning the African-American vote, looking the other way or trying to benefit politically from racial polarization," Mehlman said at the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. "I am here today as the Republican chairman to tell you we were wrong."
Barry Goldwater

Quote:
In 1964, Goldwater ran a conservative campaign that emphasized "states' rights."[15] Goldwater's 1964 campaign was a magnet for conservatives since he opposed interference by the federal government in state affairs. Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation and had supported the original senate version of the bill, Goldwater made the decision to oppose the Civil Rights Act of 1964. His stance was based on his view that the act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of states and, second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose.[16]

All this appealed to white Southern Democrats, and Goldwater was the first Republican to win the electoral votes of the Deep South states (Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina) since Reconstruction. However, Goldwater's vote on the Civil Rights Act proved devastating to his campaign everywhere outside the South (besides Dixie, Goldwater won only in Arizona, his home state), contributing to his landslide defeat in 1964.
Quote:
Although the phrase "Southern strategy" is often attributed to Nixon political strategist Kevin Phillips, he did not originate it,[2] but merely popularized it.[3] In an interview included in a 1970 New York Times article, he touched on its essence:
From now on, the Republicans are never going to get more than 10 to 20 percent of the Negro vote and they don't need any more than that... but Republicans would be shortsighted if they weakened enforcement of the Voting Rights Act. The more Negroes who register as Democrats in the South, the sooner the Negrophobe whites will quit the Democrats and become Republicans. That's where the votes are. Without that prodding from the blacks, the whites will backslide into their old comfortable arrangement with the local Democrats.[4]

While Phillips sought to polarize ethnic voting in general, and not just to win the white South, the South was by far the biggest prize yielded by his approach. Its success began at the presidential level, gradually trickling down to statewide offices, the Senate and House, as some legacy segregationist Democrats retired or switched to the GOP. In addition, the Republican Party worked for years to develop grassroots political organizations across the South, supporting candidates for local school boards and offices, for instance.
Following the Watergate scandal, there was broad support for the Southern Democrat Jimmy Carter in the 1976 election.

From 1948 to 1984 the Southern states, traditionally a stronghold for the Democrats, became key swing states, providing the popular vote margins in the 1960, 1968 and 1976 elections. During this era, several Republican candidates expressed support for states' rights, which some critics claim was a "codeword" of opposition to federal enforcement of civil rights for blacks and intervention on their behalf, including passage of legislation to protect the franchise.[5]

It the Republicans want to have more support among Black Americans then ditch the "Southern Strategy".

My guess they simply are not willing to do so especially in local and statewide elections in the South.

The bottom line is the Republican Party won't change until the racial dynamics that allowed the "Southern Strategy" to be successful no longer works for them. That day is still about 10 to 12 years away.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Another one: lose the hypocrisy. I'd spend more time considering the Republican party if there weren't so many political figures who had voted against same-sex marriage being caught in bathroom stalls/gay bars. Kind of throws a wedge in your credibility, if you get what I'm saying. Lol.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Oppressed minorities don't include Asians and Jews.....hehehe

Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredsnowman View Post
Not all people who live in the inner city are criminals and you have given us an excellent example of the type of thinking so prevalent in conservatives that leads all black people far away from ever considering voting for a Republican. We know what you code words mean.
I never claimed ALL inner city people are thugs and criminals.

The culture I mentioned is much more on display in the inner city, at least that has been my observation... which I admit is limited because I avoid places which are statistically shown to be more prone to violent crime.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:14 PM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
What's a southern strategy? How many southern states did Nixon win '68?

Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
Stand up for everyone's rights, not just the White (Christian, heterosexual, middle-to-upper-class, able-bodied, privileged, masculine-identified) man's.
Apply the law equally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies