Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 09:34 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,132,239 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I had the rare occasion of having a day off and I decided to venture into Branson to view the tornado damage as well as stop at the "Tanger Mall" to see if I could find a new bra.

I was pretty astounded to discover that the parking lot was just packed with shoppers. I had to go around three times before I could find a parking space. The sidewalks in front of each store were full and most of the shoppers were carrying at least two or three bags from the stores.

I went into three separate stores and in each case they were full of people shopping. When I did finally find an item to purchase I had to wait in line to buy it (with three registers open), and there were 6 people in front of me. While I was waiting I observed the totals on the cash registers and in most cases the purchases were between $100 - $200, with a few exceptions.

The busiest store was the "Under Armour" store where the line to the cash register appeared to be approximately 15 - 20 people long.

I noticed also, while tooling around the parking lot that most of the cars and SUVs appear to be quite new. Certainly, there were very few (if any) that were more than 10 years old.

It appears, that the media reports of the "bad economy" are exaggerated. People are still out there shopping. Women are still paying $50+ to get their nails done and $100+ to get their hair highlighted and cut. People are buying new houses and new cars.

What am I missing here?

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
You aren't missing anything but observing the implications of an economic recovery in progress after a hell of a disaster. We're about to get a brand new mall in my neighborhood (in addition to an almost always over-packed one, about 4 miles down the freeway) and I'm already worried about guaranteed traffic issues.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
What am I missing here?
that your story is an anecdote, while economics is based on data.

Even if your narrative was indicative of "the economy," for all we know these folks are just racking up debt on the credit card, buying foreign trinkets they can't afford.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,584,176 times
I don't know the economics of Branson well enought to comment with any authority, but some elements I might factor into your research would be that people often need to buy a lot of stuff after being blasted by a tornado. Much of that stuff is purchased with the help of insurance money. Secondly, some may have been shopping for mother's day. The third part I might consider is that people's behavior of purchasing items frequently is not an accurate indication of their ability to do so as evidenced by the credit card debt in this country. The economy in Branson may be doing well, but I wouldn't necessarily conclude that based on a trip to the mall.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:47 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
I don't know the economics of Branson well enought to comment with any authority, but some elements I might factor into your research would be that people often need to buy a lot of stuff after being blasted by a tornado. Much of that stuff is purchased with the help of insurance money. Secondly, some may have been shopping for mother's day. The third part I might consider is that people's behavior of purchasing items frequently is not an accurate indication of their ability to do so as evidenced by the credit card debt in this country. The economy in Branson may be doing well, but I wouldn't necessarily conclude that based on a trip to the mall.
Same here. Unemployment in my area is around 7%, yet the malls around town seem still as busy as they were before the crash. But, ask a manager how sales figures compare to the pre-bust they might tell a different story. What you see is often different from what you see on paper. Some parts of the US are doing extraordinarily well, while many parts are languishing.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:53 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
just because in branson the economy seems healthy, doesnt mean that it is healthy in all areas of the country. some places are harder hit than others. and this isnt new either, as in every recession those that have the money will still go shopping for the things they want and need, and those that have to watch every penny will still shop for the things they need to keep going.

remember that this country has always been resilient when it comes to economic bad times. we as americans have generally always been optimistic and do what we need to do to survive.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Optimism dies during bad times. It is fundamental to recession. That people are flocking back to malls, buying homes and automobiles, are keys to recovery. It is having business hire again.

Old 05-14-2012, 10:29 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,990,126 times
Ask your self what does the economy of Branson MO depend on? I don't think it depends on manufacturing, technology development or even agriculture like a lot of nearby communities in SW Missouri. It depends on entertainment or real estate development and Branson attacts people from a wide part of the USA. Its just like Las Vega, Orlando or New Orleans. I live in another ecomonic fantasy land the region just beyond the Washington DC Beltway. The Federal pumps hundreds of billions of dollars into our pockets. Even during the height of the Great Recession unempoloyment in my county never got above 5% so we never got recessed or even depressed. Stimulus worked here too. So look around to the places that depend on financial services military spending, extractive industries like oil or gas or healthcare. All doing well and these sectors account for more than half of the nations GDP. With in many cases double digit growth they when averaged with the lagging or stagnant sectors mean the economy is expanding. growing and getting some of us rich. Too bad about the rest of you out there .

Old 05-14-2012, 10:30 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,437,203 times
It warms my heart too, to see people spending money they dont have

Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,633,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

The busiest store was the "Under Armour" store where the line to the cash register appeared to be approximately 15 - 20 people long.

I noticed also, while tooling around the parking lot that most of the cars and SUVs appear to be quite new. Certainly, there were very few (if any) that were more than 10 years old.

It appears, that the media reports of the "bad economy" are exaggerated. People are still out there shopping. Women are still paying $50+ to get their nails done and $100+ to get their hair highlighted and cut. People are buying new houses and new cars.

What am I missing here?

20yrsinBranson
Another weekend outing to the same places to confirm what you saw the first time around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies