Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 01:43 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times

Advertisements

Please name SPECIFIC things Republicans believe should be legal that Democrats oppose, which restrict our freedom?

I don't understand it because Republicans oppose so many things:

-Same-Sex Marriage
-Contraception
-Abortion
-Drug-use
-Prostitution
-Gambling

I also don't understand it because Republicans support things such as "enhanced" interrogation aka torture, arrests without trial (suspected terrorists even if American), overseas prisons, monitoring of emails/phones etc, opposition to mosques, wanting national id cards...

I'm not saying whether these things are good or bad, I'm just saying I don't understand how a Republican can say their party is the party of freedom, while Democrats aren't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times
Neither party is the party of freedom. Its just a sales pitch used by both sides.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:51 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,193,173 times
Republicans aren't the party of freedom, but neither are the Democrats. They just have different methods of imposing restrictions upon said freedoms.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:53 PM

416 posts, read 637,194 times
the "parties" are the "party to stay in office and do/say whatever it takes to achieve this"

no such thing as a "party of freedom". especially when it means increasing the military to something larger than the next 26 largest military nations combined and 24 of them are our allies effectively underwriting the entire european fabric of life to the detriment of our own citizens and children...yada yada yada

Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Please name SPECIFIC things Republicans believe should be legal that Democrats oppose, which restrict our freedom?

-Same-Sex Marriage
-Contraception
-Abortion
-Drug-use
-Prostitution
-Gambling

I also don't understand it because Republicans support things such as "enhanced" interrogation aka torture, arrests without trial (suspected terrorists even if American), overseas prisons, monitoring of emails/phones etc, opposition to mosques, wanting national id cards...

I'm not saying whether these things are good or bad, I'm just saying I don't understand how a Republican can say their party is the party of freedom, while Democrats aren't.

I would agree with you if your view of freedom is only about how you use your genital.

The basic concept of being free is being independent and responsible. The big deal is government control. The government currently has so many people on welfare and it would blow your mind. Until we curtail that big fat (all the entitlement programs), we are not going to have our freedom. Imagine your livelihood depends on the government - your next meal depends on your government (food stamp, student loans, SS, etc.), how much freedom do you have?

So any party advocating smaller government and less government control is the party of freedom.

Old 05-14-2012, 01:55 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,210,493 times
It's an historic association, extended from an era when Republicans wanted to pursue less intrusive government and promoted 'Personal Responsibility'... Or, if you muck it up, Al Sharpton isn't going to step in to fix it for you. Your FREEDOM to choose.

But all that is mostly changed now.

Old 05-14-2012, 02:01 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
You are absolutely free to think just like Jerry Falwell.

Old 05-14-2012, 03:01 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
I'm not a Republican, and haven't been for over twenty years; I'm officially registered as a Libertarian, but I believe the current collection of unmotivated societal riffraff and leadership with thinking little beyond the level of a gang of street thugs represents the largest single current threat to the Ameican experiment ... as such I will do everything I can to allow its inconsistencies, contradictions, and compete lack of understanding of the basic rules of economics to bring about its complete disintegration.

The only "freedoms" the Democratic Party advocates are the freedoms of its collection of deviants to escape the consequences of their irriesponsible choices and unrealistic ideas. The Republicans, more in a pusuit of simple self-defense than anything else, have of necessity aligned themselves with the doctrines of the Religious Right, but as most of us know, you can't legislate morality any more easily than you can legislate equality or security -- that sort of foolishness usually sows the seeds of its own destruction.

So unless the Republican candidate is an absolute twit along the lines of Pat Robertson, David Duke or the late, unlamented Jesse Helms, I will continue to automatically eliminate the Democratic candidates and their follies from consideration in most instances. here's quarter, little fellow -- go buy yourself a lollipop and come back when you grow up!

Old 05-14-2012, 03:57 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post

-Same-Sex Marriage
-Contraception
-Abortion
-Drug-use
-Prostitution
-Gambling

All of that is going on. We who are against drug use don't want to be on the road with the stoned individuals . We don't like to see the spread of Aids.

Same sex "marriage "is a word.. one can join in a civil union if they are gay .

Old 05-14-2012, 04:08 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,932,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
All of that is going on. We who are against drug use don't want to be on the road with the stoned individuals . We don't like to see the spread of Aids.

Same sex "marriage "is a word.. one can join in a civil union if they are gay .
1. Then do you support banning alcohol?

2. Do you think banning contraception or not letting people get married will decrease sex thus decreasing the spread of aids?

3. Can same-sex couples receive the same benefits in a civil union as a married couple?

4. I stated this isn't a debate whether or not you support the above, it's simply on the argument that Republicans are the party of Freedom.

Not a single Republican has named one specific thing yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies