Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 06:11 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times

Advertisements

Besides the recent conviction and sentencing of Marissa Alexander for aggravated assault following the dismissal of her "stand your ground" motion for dismissal, another defendant, Trevor Dooley, has had a similar motion to dismiss denied.

Dooley has been charged in the shooting death of David James during a dispute over stakeboarding in a public park across the street from Mr. Dooley's home in a that has many similarities to the Trayvon Martin shooting.

Stand Your Ground motion denied for Valrico man | TBO.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 06:13 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,281,090 times
If the people of Florida didn't like the law, they'd work to get it overturned.

Even the libs in NoVA are happy with their state's stand your ground law.

Old 05-15-2012, 08:50 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,690,051 times
I guess we will all be forced to wait for the police while the criminals murder us and our families.

With the way things are headed would you come to some one's aid who was in distress by being attacked, robbed, raped, etc., knowing that if your efforts resulted in the death of the assailant you would be charged with murder?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
I am way left of most Democrats and nearly every poster on this forum but in this case, and most cases involving self defense, I am somewhat to the right of many. I will defend myself if attacked. Hopefully I will be better armed than my assailant. I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six.

All people have a right to fight back when assaulted even if the assailant is unarmed and the would be victim has a gun. That is a simple case of an idiot bringing a fist to a gunfight. Too damn bad for him. Pest control is not murder and never has been.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:59 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I guess we will all be forced to wait for the police while the criminals murder us and our families.
Not really, just the requirement that you are actually defending yourself or your family.

Quote:
...would you come to some one's aid who was in distress by being attacked, robbed, raped, etc., knowing that if your efforts resulted in the death of the assailant you would be charged with murder?
I would in a second, but I also believe that I have enough common sense to distinguish between a verbal argument, an imminent threat and a forcible felony.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:30 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Besides the recent conviction and sentencing of Marissa Alexander for aggravated assault following the dismissal of her "stand your ground" motion for dismissal, another defendant, Trevor Dooley, has had a similar motion to dismiss denied.

Dooley has been charged in the shooting death of David James during a dispute over stakeboarding in a public park across the street from Mr. Dooley's home in a that has many similarities to the Trayvon Martin shooting.

Stand Your Ground motion denied for Valrico man | TBO.com
I think this is interesting and a hopeful sign.

Old 05-17-2012, 01:50 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Not really, just the requirement that you are actually defending yourself or your family.
....and if this wasn't a stand your ground state that would still apply yes?

Old 05-17-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
If the people of Florida didn't like the law, they'd work to get it overturned.

Even the libs in NoVA are happy with their state's stand your ground law.
Well there is a task force, appointed by the Gov., studying the SYG law, and I believe they are conducting public meetings around the state in order to "hear" what the citizens of the state of Florida have to say about it.

Many people in Florida do not like the law.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Well there is a task force, appointed by the Gov., studying the SYG law, and I believe they are conducting public meetings around the state in order to "hear" what the citizens of the state of Florida have to say about it.

Many people in Florida do not like the law.
Just eyewash to appease the minority that oppose the law. Nothing will change.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Just eyewash to appease the minority that oppose the law. Nothing will change.
I wouldn't be so sure. There are indeed citizens who are outraged over this law now that the results of such a law have been demonstrated in the Martin case, and there are many attorneys who say it's basically a license to kill. Prosecutors don't like it very much. It seems to be far too broad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies