Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 04:57 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,813,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Of course, there is no guarantee you will get a better education when home schooled, and during those formative teen years, enrollment in high school is what the better parents opt for for their children.
There is also no guarantee that kids who go to high school will come out better educated and capable citizens ask the many dropouts and "graduates" of the Washington, DC Public Schools district, and the many inner-city school districts across the US where the NCLB Act rates as failing their students. Saying that better parents put their kids through high school is being bigoted, biased, and uninformed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 05:18 PM

1,187 posts, read 991,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
I've yet to meet a homeschooler who wasn't "off" in some way or other. It does not produce socially well-adjusted people.
So you've met maybe one homeschooler? or one who SAYS they were a homeschooler? LOL! If you HAD actually met more than one, then you'd know for a fact, that there are a variety of people who are or have been homeschooled. They don't fit into a nice little box like "off" or not being socially well adjusted, because there are too many different types of homeschoolers. That's like saying all public school kids are not socially well adjusted people. I can pick out plenty that do fit that description, but it doesn't mean that all kids from public schools are not socially well-adjusted. Although there are way more arguments for that case than for yours.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:26 PM

18,851 posts, read 14,034,904 times
Suggest folks should read "Growing without Schooling".

Growing Without Schooling

Old 05-15-2012, 05:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,544,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndsong71 View Post
So you've met maybe one homeschooler? or one who SAYS they were a homeschooler? LOL! If you HAD actually met more than one, then you'd know for a fact, that there are a variety of people who are or have been homeschooled. They don't fit into a nice little box like "off" or not being socially well adjusted, because there are too many different types of homeschoolers. That's like saying all public school kids are not socially well adjusted people. I can pick out plenty that do fit that description, but it doesn't mean that all kids from public schools are not socially well-adjusted. Although there are way more arguments for that case than for yours.
I grew up in a very rural area and met a lot of home schooled kids through my 4H group and I'm afraid I have to agree with what that poster said. The kids who were home schooled had a very hard time doing group stuff and tended to be very selfish, only wanting to take care of their project and not helping with anyone else. Their parents seemed overly involved as well and that got REALLY irritating when we were trying to muck stalls at 4am during fair time and their parents were hovering around making sure we didn't say anything bad or do anything inappropriate. I actually had a 'talking to' for wearing a tank top while doing barn duty because one of the parents thought it was inappropriate. It was 110 degrees out and I wasn't going to wear a long sleeved shirt!

Regardless, the homeschooled kids seemed lost and didn't really fit in, they basically just stuck next to their parents no matter how hard we tried to get them involved.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:37 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,145,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Did you create this thread to direct traffic to that website?

PS. I wish the moderators would kill ANY thread that doesn't include a personal take on a subject, followed by a link (if necessary).
I guess that comment about public school and home schooling wasn't enough for you. I read the article and learned that the author graduated from the U of New Hampshire, magna *** laude. I guess that university is really very inferior compared to Harvard where Obama graduated, so people say, the same way. I bet her university would be glad to prove her status and Harvard doesn't seem to be about Obama.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
I've yet to meet a homeschooler who wasn't "off" in some way or other. It does not produce socially well-adjusted people.
There that left leaning word, socially, is again.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well at least links that work.
I got it to work but I wanted to read it. I guess you didn't but you jumped in here anyway.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I agree, homeschoolers are always just a little weird. They make me think of the movie Blast from the Past with Brendan Frasier where he played the character that had been locked in the bomb shelter with his parents for a long time. I have also found that they don't have the skills to deal with the diversity of thought they will find in the real world. You don't get a good result when you shelter a child away from everyone that doesn't agree 100% with the parent's worldview during their critical formative years.

These same reasons are why many employers have a policy against hiring anybody that was homeschooled.
So here is a lefty answering without reading the link. I guess you failed to see the young lady talking about the silence of her left leaning peers in the college class. Really, you should read that one and then read at the end of it that she graduated magna *** laude from a lesser university than Harvard. You know the one left leaners say Obama graduated from the same way without any kind of proof of same.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 PM

1,182 posts, read 1,135,914 times
Quote:
Me either. Most of them are religious fundies who don't want to believe in science.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah the school I went to for undergrad was pretty popular with homeschoolers and most of them wound up not being able to handle the sudden freedom. Several I know developed real bad drug problems, a couple I spent considerable time and resources trying to help. It's probably fine for someone who's going to go from the home environment to somewhere where your life is going to be as tightly managed such as the military, but just dumping kids out in the real world all willy-nilly and forcing them to develop a new support structure without the skills to do so is just setting them up for failure.
I am sure that you didn't read the link and I am also sure I know why outside the fact that you couldn't get it without the simple click of a mouse. I really fail to see that you said anything other than that home schooled kids didn't get the left leaning learning about social multi-culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies