Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:17 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,851,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsayin View Post
brilliant , retard.. i wasn't going to go in that direction but leave it to a liberal and first response to begin the very juvenile name calling....you proud of your utter stupidity? tell me.....idiot , what can a straight do that a gay can not concerning marriage?
Please go back and re-read YOUR post that sanspeur was responding to. I don't see any name-calling until you used the words retard, juvenile, stupid and idiot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 03:26 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,273,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noahsayin View Post
their collective bubbles are bursting state by state. problem is , the way I see it is the gay community are simply dishonest and many,many people see that. they don't want equal rights...they already have identical and equal rights. what they want are special rights.
You think they have equal rights already? Pull your head out of wherever you're sticking it chief

Old 05-22-2012, 08:20 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,632,440 times
Default Gay marriage is an issue of the size and scope of government

While the issue is largely framed by Republicans as an issue of morality and "family values", this pretty much sidesteps looking at gay marriage through the lens of small government and individual liberty, as well as 1st ammendment rights.

I am not "for" or "against" gay marriage. I am for small government. I am for individual liberty. I am for freedom of religion. Supporting those things does not allow me to support the idea of government getting involved in civil relationships.

A "ban" on gay marriage, no matter how it is worded, is nothing short of letting the government decide who can have what type of relationship, which is the opposite of individual liberty. So as a supporter of individual liberty, I cannot oppose other individuals entering a relationship and calling it what they want. If you support the government saying consenting adults cannot enter a relationship and call it what they want, you do not support individual liberty.

Supporting a ban on gay marriage says that government can interfere with freedom of religion. There are churches, (gasp, even Christian churches!) that do not oppose the marriage of same sex couples. Having to get permission from the government to begin with is not a small government principle. No one should have to get a license or anything else from the government to enter into a relationship of their own choosing, at least if you believe in small government you shouldn't. But when churches are not allowed to perform marriages to whomever they please based on their interpretation of spirituality and beliefs and it hold equal standing legally, the government is infringing on freedom of religion by saying it is government's right to interpret how a person's religious beliefs can be practiced. It is also an infringement on the freedom of religion by using a religious belief to impose a standard on people who choose not to participate in religion.

If you support small government and individual liberty, I would like to know how you think a ban on gay marriage is okay, not from a personal belief standpoint, but from a standpoint of government staying out of citizens lives and also respecting the freedom of religion, even when others view things differently from your own beliefs.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:22 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
I support small government and to that end think it should be out of the marriage business all together.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
I also believe that the government needs to stay out of the marriage business.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:24 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,720,265 times
And that is the Tea Party myth. They say they want small government, but they are run by the Evangelical GOP that has used government as a weapon to restrict personal liberty with gay marriage, women's health, abortion, etc. For a political party so committed to small government, they sure do like big government to infringe on personal freedom.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:25 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
And that is the Tea Party myth. They say they want small government, but they are run by the Evangelical GOP that has used government as a weapon to restrict personal liberty with gay marriage, women's health, abortion, etc. For a political party so committed to small government, they sure do like big government to infringe on personal freedom.
on what page of the constitution is marriage addressed?

Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
The entire reason for this gay marriage initiative is to get undeserved government benefits such as Social Security spousal and survivor benefits. It's all about the money. If successful, it will break the back of an already overburdened system.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:26 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

Keep in mind that the Tea Party was hijacked by the neocons.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:27 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
The job of our government is to protect us and our children need to be protected from being influenced by people who would flaunt their weird lifestyle in our faces.

Is City-Data run by gays. There doesn't seem to be much else on here lately. Why not give them their own thread so the rest of us can discuss something important enough to discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies