Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:59 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Easter Island, anyone??? Didn't the inhabitants burn thru all the island's natural resources and their society collapsed?

Oh, and those moai heads have bodies.
Wow!!

How did they ever get those things buried so deeply?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 05:01 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SityData View Post
God is a liar - Al Gore tells the truth! ... ROFMLAO!! What the f do you people EAT for breakfast??

I live in the upper regions of the Arctic in Alaska - for the past 30 years - NOTHING HAS CHANGED UP HERE

I live in a place that is only about 6 feet above sea level

NOTHING - has changed except the media's ability to tell the TRUTH!!

If the ocean levels were rising as Al Gore & the Enemedia claims we would have been under water long ago!!

Take ANY GLASS - fill it with ice - fill it full to the top with water - post the results!! When you finnally figure out that it never overflows.

That is a very basic simple scientific proof .
Nice try, but floating ice is NOT the concern. It is the grounded ice that is the concern.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
That is what happens when you decide to live on top of a dormant volcano and deciding to use all the tree's which was the only natural resource to move giant statues around to erect to show the other clans how cool they were. Maybe if they picked a better place to build their statues they'd still be around. This is a reason to not live in a desert too, not any natural resources.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:34 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Default We need to find a new earth or all die by 2030 say the green weenies

I have mine picked out

Old 05-16-2012, 05:42 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,201,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That is what happens when you decide to live on top of a dormant volcano and deciding to use all the tree's which was the only natural resource to move giant statues around to erect to show the other clans how cool they were. Maybe if they picked a better place to build their statues they'd still be around. This is a reason to not live in a desert too, not any natural resources.
You missed the analogy of them living on their island and us living on this third rock? We're quickly using up the finite fossil fuels, that took millions of years to create, to move our butts arpund, BECAUSE WE CAN. We're in the process of using up the trees on the whole planet and need to use those finite fossil fuel to substitute for real wood products.

Didn't read the article, because I don't think 2030 means anything. Scarcity will only mean the limited resources will be used by the elite while the masses will do without. Sorta like we are doing now, third world countries be damned us American have the right to consume like greedy bastards, we're the manifest destiny country, we're SPECIAL.

Last edited by buzzards27; 05-16-2012 at 05:55 PM..

Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,304,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Or of course we can all live in mud huts and eat worms like they've wanted all us peasants to do for a while now as they sit and study us and eat caviar and drink champagne from their ivory towers.

I guess it's not just the earth warming anymore we are completely destroying the old girl.

I suggest they kick off the mass suicides to save the planet.

"Planet Earth in a tight spot.
Mankind is draining the earth's resources so quickly the globe would be bled dry before the end of the century at this rate, a new report shows.
Humans are living outside their means, depleting natural resources like forests, air and water 50% faster than the planet can renew, according to the 2012 World Wildlife Fund's "Living Planet Report" released this month.
If the trends aren't reversed, by 2030 we’d need more than two Planet Earths to sustain human activity, according to the study."

Read more: Two Earths would be needed to sustain human activity by 2030, report finds* - NY Daily News

Oh this report was put together for the meeting of the green weenie club in Rio so they can come up with other ways to try and steal money from developing nations as it appears global warming is petering out.
These people are in need of therapy! They are all very sick.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:57 PM

4,242 posts, read 8,774,733 times
The 1960s called. They want their social norms back.

Madmen Family Picnic - YouTube

Old 05-16-2012, 06:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
You missed the analogy of them living on their island and us living on this third rock? We're quickly using up the finite fossil fuels, that took millions of years to create, to move our butts arpund, BECAUSE WE CAN. We're in the process of using up the trees on the whole planet and need to use those finite fossil fuel to substitute for real wood products.

Didn't read the article, because I don't think 2030 means anything. Scarcity will only mean the limited resources will be used by the elite while the masses will do without. Sorta like we are doing now, third world countries be damned us American have the right to consume like greedy bastards, we're the manifest destiny country, we're SPECIAL.
You better duck or the sky is gonna hit ya!!!!

Easter island had no fossil fuels that I'm aware of. Maybe if they did they could have built a boat and left but alas they used up all the tree's to move their big rock statues around. Not a great use for their only resource. Ever think they were just stupid and too caught up in statue bling? Take a look around there are so many trees they are burning up because our government won't let us clear away the dead kindling. Most third world countries are where they are because of their dictators running them. I'd be more worried about a dictator keeping resources away from people who need them than the earth being consumed by evil humans. lol

Old 05-16-2012, 06:44 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm down with a second Earth. I'll volunteer to be one of the early colonists and feed resources back to you. That sounds like a good time waiting to happen. Let's get back to our pioneer roots.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I'm in. When do we leave.
i wish you guys well. one bit of advice though, before you decide to set off for planets unknown, watch the twilight zone episode "on thursday we leave for home", and dont end up like the leader of the original expedition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The earth is not going to last forever.

The sun is about halfway through its life. Someday (roughly 4.5 billion years) it will swallow the earth, and consume it.

Humans (or what will pass for humans, should we make it another 4 billion years as a species) will indeed have to find another home someday if they wish to survive. But not by 2030.
that is unless gliese 710 hits us in about 1.5 million years;

Orange Dwarf Star Set to Smash into The Solar System - Technology Review

or one of the super massive stars in our galaxie that has its poles aligned with earth goes hypernova and blasts us with a massive gamma ray burst(there is at least one star in the eta carinae nebula with the proper orientation and size).

the other issue facing the planet in about 2 billion years would be the galactic collision between our galaxie and the andromeda galaxie, depending on where our solar system is at the time, either very little will happen, to our planet being flung off into deep space, or colliding with a star or a black hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foadi View Post
earth will be unable to support life well before the sun goes supernova. maybe 1 billion years. remember, the sun is warming up as it ages, and the earth too hot to sustain surface water in around 1 billion years.
actually this planet, assuming nothing like the above scenarios happens, will very likely still have liquid water on the surface 1 billion years from now, in fact about two billion years from now you could probably find liquid water. though the severe global warming that would be going on because our star has gotten much hotter by that time would mean the surface of the planet would be like a sauna set at about 160 degrees or so.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,343 times
To the OP. Maybe I misunderstood, but if your weenie is turning green it's time to consult a physician.
Don't wait until 2030, it will fall off long before then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies