Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 PM

92 posts, read 51,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
These are examples of people having to take responsibility for their choices. I, nor any other taxpayer, should be coerced into paying for someone else's healthcare insurance. I do feel a sense of "peace of mind" knowing that I won't be forced to pay for others' healthcare insurance, and therefore what you call "freedom".
easy position to take when youre in the privileged class. try some perspective. try some humanitarianism. are people not praised for donating to charity? what better charity than keeping our population healthy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2007, 07:13 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
Quote:
I do feel a sense of "peace of mind" knowing that I won't be forced to pay for others' healthcare insurance, and therefore what you call "freedom".
But do you live your life any differently?

No. You pay for private health insurance that is STILL dictated by the market and choices of your fellow insured!

Health insurance is a BROKEN MARKET, and it is an ESSENTIAL market that as decent human beings part of civil society and not some perverse immature "me" centered society, we should make pains to provide universal access to.

It isn't a classic free market in a million ways anymore, and anyone who claims it to be so is intellectually dishonest.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:43 PM

646 posts, read 1,787,783 times
Quote:
Your assertion has not been proven to be the case. Where's the highest murder rate in the U.S.? Washington, D.C., which has the strictest gun laws. Therefore, your claim doesn't seem to be valid. Thanks for the interaction.
How far do you have to go to get a gun though? It's not like MD and VA are very far away, so this is not a good argument to disprove such a claim.

By the way, the highest murder rate is in New Orleans - check the facts please.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7h3.6h057 View Post
what would cut down the murder rate is if everyone exercised their right to bear arms. i wouldnt be quick to be a cowboy if i knew john q. public was probably packing. and any situations that did arise would be settled pretty damn quickly.
By being quickly settled, what does that mean? You get shot :-)

Old 09-21-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockholmaren View Post
By being quickly settled, what does that mean? You get shot :-)
and knowing that, youre that much more apprehensive about using a weapon.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:57 PM

Quote:
and knowing that, youre that much more apprehensive about using a weapon.
So how do you get it settled then? You use your fists? Since you're carrying guns, it is much more likely that you will just draw your gun before the other guy has a chance to draw his. I don't think people will get along better just because everybody carries a gun.

For example, where I live (MA) we have the strictest gun laws in the country and we also have the lowest rate of gun deaths - how do you explain that?

Old 09-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
So how do you get it settled then? You use your fists? Since you're carrying guns, it is much more likely that you will just draw your gun before the other guy has a chance to draw his. I don't think people will get along better just because everybody carries a gun.

For example, where I live (MA) we have the strictest gun laws in the country and we also have the lowest rate of gun deaths - how do you explain that?
you assume people would be so quick to get in a confrontation with guns.. what would happen if you drew your gun first? youd have to shoot the guy or worry about reprecussions. its a nasty situation that would be avoided by most people. the people that promote violence in that sense are usually criminal-minded.. and they tend not to worry about gun laws that much.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:08 PM

Quote:
you assume people would be so quick to get in a confrontation with guns.. what would happen if you drew your gun first? youd have to shoot the guy or worry about reprecussions. its a nasty situation that would be avoided by most people. the people that promote violence in that sense are usually criminal-minded.. and they tend not to worry about gun laws that much.
If I draw my gun first I have a better chance of not getting shot - having to beat the other guy to the bush instead of taking the risk that he'll lose his cool and shoot me. When people get upset, they usually don't have a clear mind and don't consider all of the possible repercussions - it's called rage. I guess my basic question is, will these people just talk to figure it out instead?

Also, I noticed that you didn't post a response to why we here in the MA has such a low rate of gun deaths depsite the very strict rules around guns. I mean, if your claim would be true, we would have a very high rate since very few people carry guns.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
If I draw my gun first I have a better chance of not getting shot - having to beat the other guy to the bush instead of taking the risk that he'll lose his cool and shoot me. When people get upset, they usually don't have a clear mind and don't consider all of the possible repercussions - it's called rage. I guess my basic question is, will these people just talk to figure it out instead?
its a distinct possibility.
Quote:
Also, I noticed that you didn't post a response to why we here in the MA has such a low rate of gun deaths depsite the very strict rules around guns. I mean, if your claim would be true, we would have a very high rate since very few people carry guns.
apologies!! what i attribute to the low gun death rate is the mentality of the populace. my argument is that arming people would not increase the number.. at least not by much. i believe the 2nd amendment is in place for a reason, and the authors of the constitution were wise men.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:
its a distinct possibility.

apologies!! what i attribute to the low gun death rate is the mentality of the populace. my argument is that arming people would not increase the number.. at least not by much. i believe the 2nd amendment is in place for a reason, and the authors of the constitution were wise men.
Oh, my bad, I thought you meant that if everybody was armed the murder rate/violent crime would go down. At least if it stays the same or only increases a little, it can't be that bad...

I do agree with you though that people should have the right to carry guns, but that there should be thorough background checks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies