Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 05:30 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I don't know about "already", they've been there for at least a couple hundred years. Theirs is very much a local home-grown culture. They've only relatively recently joined the Indian movement to demand rights and respect.

(Sorry, I mean in my previous post that there were no Black (foreign) purveyors of Hip-Hop culture, it's not like the Peace Corps was propagating that, or something. Ecuador is remarkably on top of the latest global fashions, more so than the US.)
Latin America does have its own form of hip-hop and it has reggaeton. I was thinking more of American hip-hop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Latin America does have its own form of hip-hop and it has reggaeton. I was thinking more of American hip-hop.
The clothing style seemed to be from American hip-hop: baggy pants, baggy jackets. The young people said the style was from the US. I think that stuff developed first in NYC and maybe Chicago, and took a few years before it hit the West Coast in a big way. Ecuador must have picked it up from NYC, somehow, idk. Where did hip-hop originate?

Old 05-26-2012, 08:15 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
The clothing style seemed to be from American hip-hop: baggy pants, baggy jackets. The young people said the style was from the US. I think that stuff developed first in NYC and maybe Chicago, and took a few years before it hit the West Coast in a big way. Ecuador must have picked it up from NYC, somehow, idk. Where did hip-hop originate?
Word has it NYC like the song Rapper's Delight.

Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight - YouTube

Old 05-26-2012, 08:28 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Speaking of which, skin bleaching cream is used the world over, in Africa too. I read a National Geographic article about South Africa dating back to 1970. There was a big billboard in a township for AMBI skin lightning cream.
yes but i'm talking about manufacturing.. skin bleaching is also used in south america also, but banned in most of europe and africa(even though it gets to both continents anyway) , its allowed in the US at lower concentrations

Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 PM

Quote:
I don't know about "already", they've been there for at least a couple hundred years. Theirs is very much a local home-grown culture. They've only relatively recently joined the Indian movement to demand rights and respect.

(Sorry, I mean in my previous post that there were no Black (foreign) purveyors of Hip-Hop culture, it's not like the Peace Corps was propagating that, or something. Ecuador is remarkably on top of the latest global fashions, more so than the US.)
I know Black have been in Ecuador for hundreds of years. The term "already" was used to note that Ecuador does have a Black population.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Personally, I have considered teaching English abroad. I am due to graduate from college very soon(sometime this summer if everything works the way it should). I have thought about teaching English abroad because I need a job badly. I have friends who have taught English abroad, all of them taught English in Korea. This is why I am concerned about racial attitudes, and rightly should be. It could impede on my ability to obtain employment. For those who try to justify discrimination and making decisions based on stereotypes, those decisions make life harder for those who are trying to live decent lives, it hurts their quality of life, does personal damage to them. Remember that.

I am going to ask some of my friends about teaching abroad. I did tell my father I was considering teaching abroad, possibly in Korea. He didn't disapprove, but he did have questions.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
One reason why I say African Americans whine too much. Most of the world is unabasedly racist. Actually to be more accurate they respect power and achievement. As far as the Chinese are concerned Blacks haven't created or done anything that demands their respect.

The Chinese are being practical, if they want to learn English why would they want to be taught by someone who speaks Ebonics?
Please answer this: Are individuals respected?

Old 06-04-2012, 11:02 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
What is that suppose to mean?

If I am reading you correctly perhaps it is you who should pick up a history book just on WW2 and how white U.S. troops bent over backwards infecting occupied countries with their homegrown racism.

Now if that wasn't what you were trying to imply, I apologize in advance.
Here we go again

We whites have apparently ruined the WHOLE world with our evilness.

Racism is a global problem, and would obviously exist if no white person had ever been born. But yeah, you can point to some instances of racist white soldiers and pretend that we caused anti-black sentiments worldwide.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:07 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,913,994 times
Quote:
Personally, I have considered teaching English abroad. I am due to graduate from college very soon(sometime this summer if everything works the way it should). I have thought about teaching English abroad because I need a job badly. I have friends who have taught English abroad, all of them taught English in Korea. This is why I am concerned about racial attitudes, and rightly should be. It could impede on my ability to obtain employment. For those who try to justify discrimination and making decisions based on stereotypes, those decisions make life harder for those who are trying to live decent lives, it hurts their quality of life, does personal damage to them. Remember that.

I am going to ask some of my friends about teaching abroad. I did tell my father I was considering teaching abroad, possibly in Korea. He didn't disapprove, but he did have questions.
I taught English for a year in Korea and knew some black teachers there. Yes, it's harder to get a job and you'll get a few more stares than white people but don't let that dissuade you.

A black teacher told me that being non-white will weed out all of the hagwons only interested in a white walking advertisement. The implication being that if you're black and get a good offer, chances are better that everything is above-board. I don't know how true this is however, the few people that I met that had bad experiences with their schools were all white, but then again most teachers there are white to begin with.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,328,449 times
I think that the issue of race in this context is being somewhat misrepresented. For the record, yes, I do agree that attitudes toward race in Asian countries is typically different than it is in multicultural Western societies. And there's racism, and I would agree that, based on their perceptions of African countries relative to the rest of the world, Africans or people of African descent tend to get the dissed at times.

However, I knew plenty of blacks who worked abroad in Japan and I know one or two who worked in China, Japan, and Korea and seemed to have few problems. In fact, I know some blacks who have personally that they've had better treatment and better lives in Asia than they have in the U.S. So, take that for whatever it's worth.

In my experience, Asians typically prefer white ESL teachers, but it's not because they love whites or believe that whites are the master race (that would be Asians). Simply put, it's the perception that whites simply know how to speak English better than people of other races. Moreover, whites are seen as being more 'authentic' and more like the kinds of actors or personalities they see in foreign films (i.e. Brad Pitt, George Clooney, etc). Don't assume it's just because they're racist; it's just a series of stereotypes and perceptions that they have about cool white Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies