Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 11:36 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Don't worry about it. I went to private Catholic schools in Japan. (very good schools)

1/3 my teachers were black. 2/3 were white. I loved them all equally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_oZtxWuids

Just one of those cute videos.
Japan is another place people can consider for teaching abroad. In my case, I am employed and doing okay now. At this point, I will just keep on at the job I have. However, when I got to this thread(in 2012), I was unemployed and a recent college graduate. For me, the idea of racial prejudice determining whether or not I could get a job felt that much more magnified and angered me that much more. I look at things like this. If you can do the job, race should not be an issue.

BTW, I'm Catholic, so it might be a good fit for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
What lawsuits?

How many have there been, like 3?

I am black and I only know of 3 of them.

And FWIW, one of the three involved a relative of mine who didn't even know he was involved in the lawsuit (the 1995 Firefighters case in the city of Chicago).

But we reviewed the material and it did show a bias was used to exclude black people. They even had memos from upper level persons in the department stating that they wanted to limit the amount of black candidates. And that case was based upon a similar one filed by white firefighters in Chicago lol.

Don't base racial stereotyping on silly law suits.

The stereotype of black people being ignorant has been around for hundreds of years and is not a recent phenomenon.
Really..you are only aware of 3 lawsuits on racial bias in tests ?

NYC teachers...second lawsuit on racial bias in tests over the 2nd version of the test.
NYC Firefighters....racial bias in tests
NYC elite high schools...racial bias in tests

There's 3 and that's only NYC.

Texas TAAS..racial bias in tests
MA teacher test..racial biast in tests

There's plenty more if you google.

SAT..no lawsuit yet but plenty saying it's racially biased

Old 06-09-2015, 11:40 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Japan is another place people can consider for teaching abroad. In my case, I am employed and doing okay now. At this point, I will just keep on at the job I have. However, when I got to this thread(in 2012), I was unemployed and a recent college graduate. For me, the idea of racial prejudice determining whether or not I could get a job felt that much more magnified and angered me that much more. I look at things like this. If you can do the job, race should not be an issue.

BTW, I'm Catholic, so it might be a good fit for me.
Exactly. Good luck with everything Green_mariner.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Really..you are only aware of 3 lawsuits on racial bias in tests ?

NYC teachers...second lawsuit on racial bias in tests over the 2nd version of the test.
NYC Firefighters....racial bias in tests
NYC elite high schools...racial bias in tests

There's 3 and that's only NYC.

Texas TAAS..racial bias in tests
MA teacher test..racial biast in tests

There's plenty more if you google.

SAT..no lawsuit yet but plenty saying it's racially biased
What does any of that say about the Blacks who have worked hard and made it through college and have the credentials?

Old 06-09-2015, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Exactly. Good luck with everything Green_mariner.
Thanks. So far, things have gotten better. I'm in a decent position and now there are more things I can do. I might consider teaching abroad later on. Until this thread came back, I had not once thought about it.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
What does any of that say about the Blacks who have worked hard and made it through college and have the credentials?
It says that you'll be viewed with doubt. Did you really earn that degree or was it handed to you because of your color.

I think AA has done more harm then good over the long haul.

Given all that I still can't see "White Bias" in these tests.
Don't we all go through K-12 learning the same words ?

The ones taking these tests are 20 years old..hardly victims of segregated education and all have attended college, many of them the same college taking the same classes.

And yet the lawsuits say the tests are written with a White person's slant.
I just don't see it.

I'm White. There's no secret words we learn that make us "better".
I read that sample question on Gertrude Stein and can see no bias.

Old 06-09-2015, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Thanks. So far, things have gotten better. I'm in a decent position and now there are more things I can do. I might consider teaching abroad later on. Until this thread came back, I had not once thought about it.
Europe is an excellent place to go teach especially on the military bases.

My Aunt did that. My uncle was in the Navy and they travelled the world.
And FYI..my Aunt is Puerto Rican and teaches English.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:08 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,926,415 times
If I am spending the time learning a language , my best reference to linking up with that language is having the closest representation to which the language is best presented.
Can you imagine attempting to learn chineense from an Irishman ? or worse a texan y'all .

Much like adding more information for a search you are making on line ,the qualifiers weed out the very broad choice to a much narrower selection.
I would much rather learn spanish from a spaniard, not a mexican.
I tried to learn togala but going from one phillipino to another there are too many dilects so you can't say any thing right.
Since english is become the required language all over the world, due to money and business.
I can understand the desire to have the best representation possible that is believble in the mind of those making the investment.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:15 PM

7,578 posts, read 5,326,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
Appalling to see that this country is so ignorant and backwards regarding race.
That's no way to talk about your home country, the United States.

Quote:
Makes one wonder what level of ignorance immigrants from China bring to this country regarding race?
You think the Chinese came to this idea all by themselves? Ever wonder where such attitudes actually come from? Give you a hint

Spoiler
the good ole U.S. of A

Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 PM

906 posts, read 712,477 times
Asians don't like black people...this is not news.
But, they like black people's money..
Two faced, more than many..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies