Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2007, 10:38 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
For a different offense - apples and oranges

Not much, charges are frequently reduced and for a variety of reasons. The fact that they've been reduced and people are still having protests might tell us something about the people protesting though.
Interestingly I'm not surprised by the somewhat "black and white" response. How is breaking a bottle over a black kid's head different than beating a white kid? How is that apples and oranges. I'm really not asking you to clarify as you seem to have efficiently emphasized one, and trivialized the other.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:39 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proudmary View Post
Well this conservative doesn't do nuance, and yeah things are black and white to most of us. We're speaking about young white teens who displayed nooses. Was that bad? Yes. Was it a "hate crime" as Jesse Jackson, Al Sharpton, and other liberals want to call it? No.

Is a group of black boys, six on one, the one being a white boy, beating him until unconscious, and until the point of probable permanent eye and ear damage wrong? Yes. Ought the perps do time? Yes, a long time. Was what the black boys did to the white boy a "hate crime"? Well, I certainly wouldn't call it a "love crime" but since black on white crime cannot be called a hate crime in this PC soceity, what will we call it? How about uncivil, intolerable, animal like, and needing to be made an example of so as never to happen again? I vote for that.
Thank you for playing, see you again.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,543,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
The only reason the victim, Justin Barker, was jumped is that Mychal Bell and the rest of the Jena Six Predators made the decision to attack him. No one forced them to do it. No one made them do it. No one incited them to do it. They committed a vile criminal act because they actively decided to do so.
Ah the "re-label tactic". Take a term and twist it into something 180 degrees out of phase from what it really means. Worthy of CNNs coverage of the War on Terror (or rather re-labeled to Bush's conspiracy to secure oil in the mid-east).

Old 09-21-2007, 10:56 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,968,796 times
[quote=Anchorless;1550593]No one wants preferential treatment, no one wants immunity from violent convictions. [quote]

What does "Free The Jena 6" mean to you? I think it's pretty clear cut.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:05 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post

What does "Free The Jena 6" mean to you? I think it's pretty clear cut.
I don't want the 6 to be let go, but I don't want the jena rodeo racists and kid who pulled the gun to be let go either, but it seems pretty obvious they got off easy.
That's what got ppl rile up. Unequal punishment time and again.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:26 PM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Dude, what's with the incitious language? What are you trying to prove, that these blacks are guilty vile predators and the whites are nothing but innocent pranksters?
The Jena Six certainly are predators, and Justin Barker certainly is a victim and not an innocent prankster. The guys responsible for throwing the nooses up on that tree certainly screwed up, but they certainly aren't violent predators. The only people involved here that should be going to prison are the Jena Six Predators. The town of Jena certainly would be a safer place.

People should be held accountable for what they've done. Not only for the sake of justice, but to set an example. The Jena Six Predators could have easily killed Barker. They attacked Barker from behind in a very cowardly manner, then stomped him until he was unconscious and lost the ability to see out of one of his eyes for three weeks. They should spend an appropriate amount of time behind bars.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:34 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,559,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
The Jena Six certainly are predators, and Justin Barker certainly is a victim and not an innocent prankster. The guys responsible for throwing the nooses up on that tree certainly screwed up, but they certainly aren't violent predators. The only people involved here that should be going to prison are the Jena Six Predators. The town of Jena certainly would be a safer place.

People should be held accountable for what they've done. Not only for the sake of justice, but to set an example. The Jena Six Predators could have easily killed Barker. They attacked Barker from behind in a very cowardly manner, then stomped him until he was unconscious and lost the ability to see out of one of his eyes for three weeks. They should spend an appropriate amount of time behind bars.
Apparently lots of ppl disagree with you on how innocent the others like the Jena Rodeo Racists KKK wannabes, the Gun Toter and the Trash Talking Taunting Baiter involved actually are. Keep repeating that he is a victim doesn't make him innocent.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:40 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Keep repeating that he is a victim doesn't make him innocent.
Justin Barker was hit in the head from behind and knocked down, then he was stomped on by the entire Jena Six Predator crew, to the point where he was not only unconscious, but was blind in one eye for three weeks. Are you seriously trying to claim he wasn't innocent?

Mr. Barker had nothing to do with the nooses that were hung. He also had nothing to do with the guys that crashed the party at the Fair Barn, and Mr. Barker also had nothing to do with the guy that was chased down and robbed at the convenience store.

I guess he's guilty as sin for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Or is he just guilty of saying something Mychal Bell didn't like? Either way it's no reason to feloniously stomp someone.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:50 AM

7 posts, read 4,011 times
Red face Bring real Lynching back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
I don't want the 6 to be let go, but I don't want the jena rodeo racists and kid who pulled the gun to be let go either, but it seems pretty obvious they got off easy.
That's what got ppl rile up. Unequal punishment time and again.
I think lynchings should happen again en-mass

That would give you cry-babies something to whine about then

Old 09-22-2007, 01:00 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,440,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
Nothing gets by you, does it?

No one is disputing the above. But it also isn't as black and white as you'd want it to be.

Maybe that study was right: conservatives don't do nuance, do they?
Well I think that conservatives tend to see the facts and do not blow things out of proportion to suit their views.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies