Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 03:31 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
Never heard of it. Was there a platform drafted at a national heterosexual conference?
Why do I even try and engage you? We see what you're doing. I find your attempt to malign and cast gay people as sexually deviant child ****ers, or at the least allies of child ****ers, disgusting. Do us a favor and take it to StormFront please.

Old 05-16-2012, 03:35 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,467,969 times
I thought most pedophiles were already married. Just look at the ones who get arrested and you will see they have a spouse and children.

I don't think we will see marriage certificates that have pedophile listed at one person and the other as victim. You can believe what you want when an old man marries a young girl.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:02 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,354,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
How long do you think it will be before pedophiles get the right to marry?

It is already acceptable in some liberal cultures. I have seen signs of it's acceptance in the United States.

I'm against it, personally. I consider it an abomination. But I hope I am not around when it is no longer viewed that way anymore.
Considering that the profile of the majority of child molestors in the US is male, heterosexual, married and religious (based on several large studies), I would say that child molestors are already getting married.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:10 PM

29,095 posts, read 25,956,059 times
If pedophiles are attracted to children - but our laws state that they can't marry the people they love - and they marry women or men - then how come homosexuals can't do the same? After all - isn't sexual orientation an inborn trait, as some people on this forum constantly say? The pedophiles can't help who they are attracted to.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

Pedophelia is deemed unacceptable because it involves the coercion of a minor. ...
Not always. Sometime the minor is a willing participant.

Pedophilia is deemed unacceptable because it is morally wrong. So is homosexual marriage.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,076,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
If pedophiles are attracted to children - but our laws state that they can't marry the people they love - and they marry women or men - then how come homosexuals can't do the same? After all - isn't sexual orientation an inborn trait, as some people on this forum constantly say? The pedophiles can't help who they are attracted to.
What harm comes from homosexuals marrying one another?
What harm comes from adults marrying prepubescent children?

If you can't figure this one out, you're beyond help.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
What harm comes from adults marrying prepubescent children?
You tell me.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:28 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,615,068 times
Quote:
Pedophilia is deemed unacceptable because it is morally wrong.
Not historically. In antiquity, children were more or less the property of their parents (especially the father) and could basically be sold off at will for whatever purposes. The Bible itself doesn't really address the issue of molestation or conduct that would violate the "rights" of a minor - at that time, minors didn't have rights. To the extent that minors were violated, it was treated like a property crime, or a crime against the father of the minor.

Age-of-consent laws first developed around marriage, and up into the early 1900's, they were quite low - usually 12 or 13. The notion of raising the age of consent to 18 didn't come about until minors themselves were seen as having independent rights separable from the rights exercised over them by their parents. That's actually a modern development.

To put it another way, think of how people would have reacted in different periods of time if some guy were caught in the act of molesting a child. In the modern era, where minors have rights, the molester would be sent away to prison by the state, probably for a long time. Throughout most of history, though, the state would not have intervened. It would have been a private matter of dispute between the molester and the father of the victim. If the father had a lower social status than the molester, that was the end of the story - nothing could be done.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:38 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,634,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Not historically. In antiquity, children were more or less the property of their parents (especially the father) and could basically be sold off at will for whatever purposes. The Bible itself doesn't really address the issue of molestation or conduct that would violate the "rights" of a minor - at that time, minors didn't have rights. To the extent that minors were violated, it was treated like a property crime, or a crime against the father of the minor.

Age-of-consent laws first developed around marriage, and up into the early 1900's, they were quite low - usually 12 or 13. The notion of raising the age of consent to 18 didn't come about until minors themselves were seen as having independent rights separable from the rights exercised over them by their parents. That's actually a modern development.

To put it another way, think of how people would have reacted in different periods of time if some guy were caught in the act of molesting a child. In the modern era, where minors have rights, the molester would be sent away to prison by the state, probably for a long time. Throughout most of history, though, the state would not have intervened. It would have been a private matter of dispute between the molester and the father of the victim. If the father had a lower social status than the molester, that was the end of the story - nothing could be done.
So, based on what you have said and assuming it is true, theoretically at least, pedophilia minded people could petition for the Constitutionality of removing any age of consent laws on behalf of the "rights of the child," thereby opening the door for the legality of pedophilia? It is only our social mores keeping pedophilia a crime?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
. In the modern era, where minors have rights, the molester would be sent away to prison by the state, probably for a long time.
What justification do we have to do so - if not morality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.