Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would we be better without Political Parties.
Yes 32 66.67%
No the political parties work just fine for me 11 22.92%
Not sure 3 6.25%
I don't follow politics 2 4.17%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CallMeDirty View Post
I do support third parties but I fear if they gained power the same fate would face them.
It has happened many times in our history. Once a third party becomes very popular it finds its platform stolen by one or both of the majors and falls into a useless state. There are twi kinds of third parties, those of the great personality and those of the great idea. Neither can survive once the major parties either take the personality or the idea for themselves. We can only change the Constitution to do what you are calling for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
LOL, We have had pretty big 3rd parties.
The Republicans were one, so were the Whigs, the Know nothings, etc

President Tyler for example was a Whig.

Van Buren was from the Free Soil party
Fillmore was a Know Nothing.

There were also off-shoots like the Southern Democrats, and the Liberal Republicans.

Strong 3rd parties seem to have disappeared during Reconstruction.
I explained why 3rd parties can't last in another post on this thread. You are very warm but don't know what I said about the kinds of third parties.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:27 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,953,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How do you think that east coast people get to know west coast people without someone to tell them about them. I think that you, like the OP, need to give some serious thought to what you are saying. I have given many years of thought to the situation since I am so old.
Are you serious?? In this day and age???

People are friending me on Facebook from Belarus.

If you read before jumping to conclusions, no one is saying people cannot campaign and make adds.

People did it 200 years ago without CNN, without Youtube, without the internet, why do you think it would be soooo hard in 2012.

Just ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You should have had "Hell Yes" as an option
But only for those who don't really understand why political parties come into being and why they are so necessary. You can read on in this thread and see me explain why they have to be and why third and fourth and so on parties can never really work. It is the Presidential system established by our Constitution. Really it would be nice if more people here could understand the facts here.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:30 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Well, the Country would definitely be better off without at least one of the Political Parties - and its name begins with the letter "D."

Old 05-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Quote:
In a system like that of the European countries, what we call parliamentary, your suggestion works pretty well. However, our Constitution calls for the Presidential system and having more than two parties could only weaken the government since more than that would cause too much dissension in Congress.

Think about this after you study our Constitution and the system of government it calls for.
OMG what are you talking about??? The Country survived pretty well AND WITH LESS DISENTION with 5 parties than our current two.

with multiple parties there is a greater chance that no one will win a majority and thus a greater need for a coalition which = more cooperation.

Right now all we have is Democrats saying Yes and Republicans saying no or vice versa

Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
lmao, those things are not analagous.

No one is talking about preventing anyone from doing anything.

Question is... you ready???

"Would we be better without political parties?"

you can always get together, form campaigns, mass together to make adds and such.

what I am asking is would we be better without these two massive chummy gentlemen's club, where only they benefit, and the country is strangled.

I said nothing about preventing anyone from doing anything.
But you don't understand and Jack does.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I explained why 3rd parties can't last in another post on this thread. You are very warm but don't know what I said about the kinds of third parties.
The republican Party was a 3rd party and they have been around for what, 170+ years now

Old 05-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Yes. It creates too much conflict, double standards, and confusion.
How about telling us how our system would work in a nation that extends for over 1500 miles from east to west and well over 500 from north to south. I will await your explanation with bated breath.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
But only for those who don't really understand why political parties come into being and why they are so necessary. You can read on in this thread and see me explain why they have to be and why third and fourth and so on parties can never really work. It is the Presidential system established by our Constitution. Really it would be nice if more people here could understand the facts here.
The Constitution says nothing about the political party system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies