U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 01:41 PM

22,974 posts, read 60,354,410 times

Advertisements

After the 74-year-old died, her 80-year-old partner, with whom she had lived in a registered partnership for twenty years, and daughter approached the church to bury her.

The vicar said he had decided to refuse Ms Østergaard’s mother a funeral because he did not want to perform gay wedding ceremonies and thought he should not therefore perform other church services for gays.

read more Danish vicar refused to bury lesbian after opposing marriage for gays - PinkNews.co.uk
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 01:48 PM

14,495 posts, read 24,576,851 times
never ceases to amaze me how some still use religion to promote hate.

Love and compassion are necessities, not luxuries
Without them humanity cannot survive.

Dalai Lama

Old 05-16-2012, 01:53 PM

8,287 posts, read 7,841,376 times
At least the Lord gave him enlightenment and helped to remove the hate from his heart:

"'I made an exceptional mistake. The biggest mistake I have ever made in my time as a vicar. It was a gaffe and short-circuit of dimensions and completely against what I believe in. But it was a completely wrong conclusion. I have asked for forgiveness, initially from two of the family.'"

Old 05-16-2012, 02:38 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,622,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
At least the Lord gave him enlightenment and helped to remove the hate from his heart:

"'I made an exceptional mistake. The biggest mistake I have ever made in my time as a vicar. It was a gaffe and short-circuit of dimensions and completely against what I believe in. But it was a completely wrong conclusion. I have asked for forgiveness, initially from two of the family.'"
Quote:
The bereaved daughter responded: “What use is that to me? This is about his views about humanity, and I don’t think those have changed. He has probably regretted it, but not because of us – rather because he has put himself in a very bad light.”
Now who's being judgmental?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM

36,868 posts, read 18,888,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post

What is this? An actual apology? Damn - I'd almost forgotten what those sound like. No "I'm sorry my words made you feel that way" BS?

Old 05-16-2012, 04:50 PM

18,590 posts, read 17,310,788 times
Their church, their rules.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM

14,810 posts, read 14,622,753 times
He publicly admitted his mistake. He spoke privately to the family and asked their forgiveness. That takes a lot of humility, something Jesus spoke highly of and demonstrated by washing the feet of his disciples.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:55 PM

25,627 posts, read 32,308,576 times
You want a religious burial follow the tenets of that religion. Otherwise quit your frigging whining and crying.

Amazing how gays complain about religion going and coming.

Accept us or your wrong, bad and evil.

The only mistake the Vicar made was apologizing.

Interesting twist on the OP's thread title seeing as how the article linked focused on the public apology.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:04 PM

8,283 posts, read 12,322,239 times
Gives another new meaning to religion doesn't it? A convicted murderer in prison gets to have a blessing & forgiveness before being executed if they so desire but a woman who was faithfull & in a committed relationship is denied the same.

Old 05-16-2012, 05:12 PM

25,627 posts, read 32,308,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Gives another new meaning to religion doesn't it? A convicted murderer in prison gets to have a blessing & forgiveness before being executed if they so desire but a woman who was faithfull & in a committed relationship is denied the same.
You missed the biggest part in your own post. If they so desire. Which means they have to repent their sins to have them forgiven. Did the lesbian repent and denounce her sinful homosexual ways? If she did then then the Vicar was in the wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or