Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2012, 05:23 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post

Things have been produced to satisfy needs. If there were no trees in an area the axe maker went hungry.
Or he never opened up shop in the first place.

Government in many instances has created a "solution" or supply when there was no demand in the first place. As the economy retracted companies and families realized much of they were buying was not needed.

All a family really needs is a roof and food. It doesn't have to be a mansion and they don't have to eat out every night. A Ford gets you there just like a Mercedes or Lexus.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2012, 06:04 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Or he never opened up shop in the first place.

Government in many instances has created a "solution" or supply when there was no demand in the first place.
Examples?

Quote:
As the economy retracted companies and families realized much of they were buying was not needed.
Depending on where you are in the payscale, you downsized your wants, or excised some of your needs.

Quote:
All a family really needs is a roof and food. It doesn't have to be a mansion and they don't have to eat out every night. A Ford gets you there just like a Mercedes or Lexus.

Communism!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:18 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Which consumers?

Which one will write me a paycheck? Build a facility in which I can work? Supply me with the capital goods I need to do my job, whether trucks or planes or tools or technology or a manufacturing line? Negotiate the thicket of regulations, permits, and taxes required to be an employer? Bet on the success of the enterprise or risk the loss of capital? Borrow money for my paycheck, if necessary? Keep up on changing laws? Be the first one there in the morning and the last to leave at night?

Which consumers?
You will be waiting a long time for this to happen.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
People with money make jobs, and the consumer may create the things that are needed as a market to sell to.

Old 05-20-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
No. You would be looking for a capitalist who wants to take advantage of the promises that customers bring. Only an idiot would start a business without the promise of getting the consumers. But then, things probably work differently, that businesses are opened without regard to the promise of selling goods and services, instead that they are there will bring customers? "The typical conservative logic".

Would you take your best guess (I refrain from calling it logic) as to why private sector dropped an unprecedented 800K+ jobs in December 2008, in a string of job losses that amounted to more jobs deleted in a year than added over previous 8 years? Lack of consumers, or lack of rich people with money to produce more?

Perfect business strategy!!!!!

Start a business with no money, take orders and pre-payments for my future product and when I get enough orders to pay for the parts I can hire people to produce the complete product. I will hire people will accept IOU's instead of a paycheck during production then I will fulfill your orders.

Anyone want to apply for a job?

Oh no, my bad! Second thought, maybe not, if I do this l will get punished if the business is successful. I will be hated too.

Back to the drawing board or maybe i'm better to be on gov payroll.

Last edited by eRayP; 05-20-2012 at 10:36 PM..

Old 05-20-2012, 10:27 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,918 times
It's a united effort. The rich couldn't provide or create jobs without the consumer's need/demand.

Ahhh, Capitalism is heavenly!

Old 05-20-2012, 10:44 PM

If people believe that consumers create jobs then why doesnt everyone get off unemployment and create their own job?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Lol, the "one lacking basic common sense" missed the obvious FACT that his imaginary machine requires WORKERS to build it. The demand for products made by the stupid machine created the JOBS it takes to make the machine.

Where do these frigging chucka-chucka people come from?
Ok so it takes workers to build it. My question is, do these workers want paid or are they willing to work for the common good?

Old 05-20-2012, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Two kinds of consumers.

Those who work for a living --- they are productive so they can earn money so they can spend money.

And those who are handed welfare checks who lay around doing nothing all day but the government confiscates the incomes of those who work to give this consumer money to spend.
I wonder how the welfare recipient would react if the gov confiscated their money like they do with everyone else.

Old 05-20-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
as the old saying goes, build a better mouse trap and the people will buy it. demand can be created, but it is expensive to do so, and thus someone with access to a lot of money is required.
Reminds me of the demand for the pet rock
And no i did not buy one lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies