Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2007, 09:48 AM

2,367 posts, read 7,655,803 times

Advertisements

How would you feel about the Jena 6 case if it was 6 white people on one black person?If you are supporting the Jena 6,would you support them if they were white and facing the same charges?Do you think whites would be called racists if they marched for 6 white people if they beat up one black person,and the black person didn't suffer bad injuries just some scrapes and cuts,and the white people were charged harshly?Im curious,because to me,both the whites and the blacks involved in this case sound like racists,its not just the whites.Also lately I've been hearing about a ton of these cases,so how do you feel about race relations in this country?Do you think there better since the 60s,or do you think they were getting better and now for some reason there getting bad again?Because it really seems like the race relations are bad in this country,yeah theres integrated neighborhoods,but people still segregate themselves in the neighborhoods that are integrated.I see it in everyday life,whites hang out with whites,blacks hang out with blacks,hispanics with hispanics,ect.Do you think there will ever be a time where we can all just get along,or do you think race relations will get worse from where we are now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2007, 09:54 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,630,098 times
I think race has nothing to do with my view. If the Jena six had jumped a black kid the charges still need to be severe. If 6 whites would have jumped a black, or hell for that matter a Chilean, the charges should be just as severe. Unfortunately, this country's tolerance for group beatings on schoolgrounds is too high. A one against one fight at least is somewhat fair, especially if both are willing participants. I'm gonna guess that nobody with common sense is a willing participant in a 6 on 1 beating if they are the 1.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:58 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
I think race has nothing to do with my view. If the Jena six had jumped a black kid the charges still need to be severe. If 6 whites would have jumped a black, or hell for that matter a Chilean, the charges should be just as severe. Unfortunately, this country's tolerance for group beatings on schoolgrounds is too high. A one against one fight at least is somewhat fair, especially if both are willing participants. I'm gonna guess that nobody with common sense is a willing participant in a 6 on 1 beating if they are the 1.
I agree.

The white kid who broke a bottle over the black student's head should also get 25 years or more.

Same thing with the white kid who brandished a shotgun.

Since it's not about race.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchorless View Post
I agree.

The white kid who broke a bottle over the black student's head should also get 25 years or more.

Same thing with the white kid who brandished a shotgun.

Since it's not about race.
The white kid who broke the bottle should be charged for assault with a deadly weapon if he attacked someone with it. If it was already broken and he went after them or he continued after he broke it, attempted murder would be the charge. A person was killed in the parking lot of a bar I went to when they got in a fight and someone shoved a broken bottle in their jugular.

Brandishing a shotgun would require aiming and threatening to get any charges and I honestly don't know what those charges would be, although the only way attempted murder could be charged is if the gun was fired, or used to beat someone with.

That's why I'm irritated at people wanting to free 6 thugs. What the people should want is punishment to other crimes that is equally tough. If that means the white kids in the alleged incidents listed are in fact guilty of what is being plastered everywhere, then by all means charge them just as harshly and judge them by the same standards.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:08 AM

1,011 posts, read 3,094,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
The white kid who broke the bottle should be charged for assault with a deadly weapon if he attacked someone with it. If it was already broken and he went after them or he continued after he broke it, attempted murder would be the charge. A person was killed in the parking lot of a bar I went to when they got in a fight and someone shoved a broken bottle in their jugular.

Brandishing a shotgun would require aiming and threatening to get any charges and I honestly don't know what those charges would be, although the only way attempted murder could be charged is if the gun was fired, or used to beat someone with.

That's why I'm irritated at people wanting to free 6 thugs. What the people should want is punishment to other crimes that is equally tough. If that means the white kids in the alleged incidents listed are in fact guilty of what is being plastered everywhere, then by all means charge them just as harshly and judge them by the same standards.
I think most people just want equitable standards.

Jena hasn't shown that. At all. Period.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:17 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
The same laws should be applied to ALL people.
Regardless of sex, race and regardless of economic status.
End of story.

Old 09-20-2007, 10:24 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,605,252 times
Quote:

I have to agree with you based on the media hype. I am not totally convinced we are hearing a full story on either side of the issue though. We never seem to get all the facts from the media whenever there is an emotion to stir or an award to win.

Do you think it creates equity to over punish one person for crimes committed by another, or to free one criminal because you did not catch the other one?

Unless the people pressuring this situation are not calling for blind justice they are not calling for equity, they are calling for revenge. You have to ask yourself, if they are angry about the actions of the police then does it help to punish these boys for the police's injustice? If they are angry that the white boys are not punished, does it help that a different person is released unpunished, or will they still be angry that the white boy was not?

Even justice must be administered and when it is not then the cry must be for that justice and not for another injustice.

Was the boy that was beaten the one that brandished the gun or the one that broke the bottle? If neither, how does his injustice get rectified if his attackers are released unpunished? Justice must be applicable to everyone or it is injustice. You cannot correct a wrong with another wrong. Hmmm, how many more cliches can I come up with for this....no, back on track now....

We want equitable justice for everyone, blacks included. The best way for that is to punish the white boys for their crimes and to punish the black boys for their crimes. When we all stop committing crimes, we won't have to punish anyone. Won't that be great?

Old 09-20-2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:

The story has also been distorted to fit every agenda out there. You could make a case out of just about any city in America by fudging the story, example:

In a small town in MS, race is still an issue. 2 months ago a white man ran over 2 elderly black women on the side of the road and killed them, and no charges were filed. A month later, a black man ran off the road into a parking lot and hit a man getting out of his car, breaking one of his legs and one of his arms. He was charged with vehicular assault and faces up to 5 years in prison.

Does that sound outrageous?

What if you found out the white guy was driving the speed limit and the roads were wet, a tire that had been changed at the dealership a week earlier blew out and caused him to lose control spinning into the unfortunate victims. Then you found out the black guy was running from the cops after they attempted to pull him over for an expired tag.

Would that not change your view?

Thats my point, I don't know what happened in Jena, other than we know 6 guys jumped 1. If all 7 were white or black, we would have never heard a single word about this story. Even then we don't know what the details are. My only point all along has been that if they continued assaulting an unconscious person, no other events in the city for the last 200 years has any bearing on how wrong that is, and that it can qualify as attempted murder, especially if any of the attackers yelled they were going to kill him. If that is not what happened, then they shouldn't be charged as harshly, it all depends on what REALLY happened, and its almost impossible to get both sides of the story in an accurate manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies