Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 12:04 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Raising the minimum wage doesn't increase unemployment.

It's a non-story.

The minimuim wage should have been raised all along. Congrats to the great state of Illinois for being one of the few states to do so.
Obviously you've never run a business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 12:23 AM

552 posts, read 738,604 times
I think minimum wage should be higher.

With inflation it is pretty hard to make it with only 1000 a month or so, plus you figure someone workin fulltime is still below or around the poverty line. If you work 40 hours a week you shouldn't live in poverty. Plus it makes it harder for those on the next level making say 10 an hour because they can't really justify a raise because they are making over minimum wage. If minimum wage was say 9 an hour they could argue that they only make 1 dollar more then those at the bottom. Where I live rent is pushing 800 a month, 600 in a bad neighborhood. How are people supposed to live at most on 400 a month after housing? You figure food is at least 100 then electricity, transportation, and etc.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:48 AM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boycewv View Post

With inflation it is pretty hard to make it with only 1000 a month or so, plus you figure someone workin fulltime is still below or around the poverty line. If you work 40 hours a week you shouldn't live in poverty. Plus it makes it harder for those on the next level making say 10 an hour because they can't really justify a raise because they are making over minimum wage. If minimum wage was say 9 an hour they could argue that they only make 1 dollar more then those at the bottom. Where I live rent is pushing 800 a month, 600 in a bad neighborhood. How are people supposed to live at most on 400 a month after housing? You figure food is at least 100 then electricity, transportation, and etc.
Then you live with other people to make rent and utilities cheaper. When I was 18 and out on my own, I shared a large house with 15 people. In my next apartment, I had 4 roomates. I took the bus to work. When you get married, you both work and contribute.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
That giant sucking sound is jobs leaving Ill.

Old 05-17-2012, 04:57 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:

It is not your employers fault that our government's policies have caused this inflation.

Obama's cozy relationship with the oil companies has proven to be a disaster.

Quantitative Easing (QE1, 2 and soon 3) has also devalued the dollar.

Raising minimum wage will not help.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:04 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Massachusetts has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country yet we've had one of the highest min wage and generous welfare for the poor. I got nearly free healthcare for 2 years. Massachusetts is superior and the rest of the country should learn from us

You forgot that it also has the highest crime rate in new england and a higher crime rate then 20 other states.

Its also a freeloaders paradise.
I grew up there, then moved north to a state that treats me like an adult, and dosnt charge me extortion for the right to spend my money.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,126,416 times
Quote:

Most people don't understand the situation the working class is in right now. As you can see, your not going to get much sympathy from some posters around here.

Here's a number for you though. If you drive to work and are making that $10 an hour, a whopping 1/3 of your income is going towards gas.

That's where we're at right now as a country.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It is not your employers fault that our government's policies have caused this inflation.

Obama's cozy relationship with the oil companies has proven to be a disaster.

Quantitative Easing (QE1, 2 and soon 3) has also devalued the dollar.

Raising minimum wage will not help.
This I agree with. However, it IS the governments job to correct this mess. Raising the minimum wage isn't going to help if the cost of everything else continues to rise.

Something has to be done.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:17 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,479,565 times
Low unemployment creates higher wages.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Low unemployment creates higher wages.
Increased profits create higher wages. If I can turn a greater profit for my business, I'll pay the team more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies