U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 02:13 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,243,197 times

Advertisements

This is yet another union payoff by the democrats who are controlled in Illinois by the unions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM

4,854 posts, read 5,449,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmgeist View Post
Massachusetts has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country yet we've had one of the highest min wage and generous welfare for the poor. I got nearly free healthcare for 2 years. Massachusetts is superior and the rest of the country should learn from us
Free? I don't think so.

Someone else is paying for it.

The cost of living is ridiculous. I used to pay over 1500 a month for a 2 bedroom 650sq foot apartment in a run down building west of the city. Healthcare premiums are the highest in the country last I heard.

Yeah that's something to brag about.

I am glad I moved away. NH is much better and cost of living lower to me. Sadly I still commute to MA for work.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:26 PM

6,392 posts, read 4,985,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
that's right, I forgot, everyone on here is a millionaire
Actually, if you are low income earner, instead of hanging around posting messages, you should be trying to better yourself.

The man's post was an accurate assessment based on common sense.

It's not that everyone here is a millionaire, but that the people who have time to post here, are able to do so for good reason. We are reasonably employed, can afford computers and internet service, are fairly well educated, and very opinionated, some to the point of overlooking common sense and posting inane sophomoric responses as above.

I don't think the man is a leech BTW, but I do think with his kind of degree, if he cannot find a job where he is, then move to where the jobs are! I am sure that with a degree in Psychology, there would be employment somewhere, and if you can't find it, then you're not looking.

Last edited by Darkatt; 05-17-2012 at 02:37 PM..

Old 05-17-2012, 03:12 PM

15,919 posts, read 19,470,411 times
Quote:
So you consider a waiter who makes minimum wage a leech? Take note low income earners , this is what the right thinks of you
Why doesn't this <ahem> college graduate (with a degree) move to a city that has job openings in his field?

Nahhhhh, instead he takes money from grandparents who are on a fixed income and stays in a waiters job that's a no-brainer because he's a loser in life...

Lazy leech is more like it......

Take note liberals, this is your poster boy........

Old 05-28-2012, 07:36 PM

2,961 posts, read 2,132,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Why would I accept such a ridiculous challenge? I didn't come out of college making piles of money. I didn't cry and whine and go buy a new car or a cell phone plan at a hundred bucks a month or expect everybody to pay my bills for me.

Min wage jobs are not for folks who have families. If your in that situation it's your own fault. Go get two jobs if need be and all you are qualified for is min wage positions. Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?
If you do not know the person how do you know it is their fault? Two jobs you are lucky in this economy to get 1. Stop your stupid trolling.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:47 PM

3,201 posts, read 3,723,342 times
Politicians are never happy doing nothing.

I love Chicago, but has Illinois ever thought about seceding from Chicago?

Old 05-28-2012, 07:57 PM

10,876 posts, read 13,334,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Why doesn't this <ahem> college graduate (with a degree) move to a city that has job openings in his field?

Nahhhhh, instead he takes money from grandparents who are on a fixed income and stays in a waiters job that's a no-brainer because he's a loser in life...

Lazy leech is more like it......

Take note liberals, this is your poster boy........
Take away the college degree and job, and this sounds like a right wing poster boy.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:12 PM

41,817 posts, read 48,609,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
Raising the minimum wage doesn't increase unemployment.
If you're competing with other states and other countries with lower wage then yes it certainly will. The minimum wage has a ripple effect across every business even if they don't directly employ minimum wage workers.

Quote:
The minimuim wage should have been raised all along.
To what benefit? The only thing the minimum wage achieves is setting a baseline for inclusion in the cost of a product. As the minimum wage increases so does the cost of the product. Those making minimum pay more for what they buy and are still stuck in the same boat they were before. You could raise the minimum to $100 an hour but a burger at McDonald is going to cost you $50. Your purchasing power has not and will not change.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 PM

6,864 posts, read 11,388,696 times
Only $10? Cheapskates. When you have the power to force businesses as to what they should pay people, why didn't they make it $20 ? or better yet, why not $25

Old 05-28-2012, 08:59 PM

33,016 posts, read 26,150,322 times
Quote:
So you consider a waiter who makes minimum wage a leech? Take note low income earners , this is what the right thinks of you

Sometimes the classism just oozes, despite their frequent claims that all honest work is noble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies