Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 06:40 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,478,526 times

Advertisements

And if ya cant find help for what you are willing to pay, you are forced to pay more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 07:19 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,199,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I don't think you'll find many "low income earners" on this board. As a matter of fact according to the bls last year only 5% of earners make min wage and of those approx 50% work in the industry where your new hero does which he also forgot to mention he earns tips too unless he's so worthless the only tip he gets from folks is who to bet on in the 3rd race at Hawthorne.

In fact your new buddy is one of the 2% who hold a college degree according to him and earn the min wage according to bls statistics. A progressive hero is born.
Imteresting, that 5% that earn minimum edge or less. Any idea how many more are earning just a bit more that minimum wage? Seeing 1 in 6 live in poverty I suspect the percentage of low wage workers below, at and ABOVE the minimum wage is three or four times that 5.2%. Fully 50% of Americans can be characterized as "Clerical, pink-and blue-collar workers with often low job security; common household incomes range from $16,000 to $30,000. High school education."

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, no, there probably are a lot of posters at or near the minimum wage level.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Increased profits create higher wages. If I can turn a greater profit for my business, I'll pay the team more.
No you won't, you pocket the profit and crack the whip even harder. Why would you or any boss increase the wage rate voluntarily? Next year when your profits are down are you going to claw back that raise?

Businesses tend to reward investors and stockholders for success not the workers that created the profit.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:43 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,120,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
No you won't, you pocket the profit and crack the whip even harder. Why would you or any boss increase the wage rate voluntarily? Next year when your profits are down are you going to claw back that raise?

Businesses tend to reward investors and stockholders for success not the workers that created the profit.
You must've not read my postings. Trust me, I'm own your side.

I don't have any investors OR stockholders. I'm a small business owner. My partner and I invested all of the money needed to start our business. No loans.

There's a ton of business owners in this country who aren't massive corporations or owned by conglomerates. In my experience, it seems like those small business owners are the ones who care most about the communities they serve because they actually are connected to those communities and rely on those communities for support.

Trust me, I struggle to pay my bills just like anybody else.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:57 AM

17,003 posts, read 12,583,387 times
wonders what percent make within a buck of minimum wage. Many places say they pay over minimum and then pay $7.50 an hour.

FWIW $10 is too high. As someone who believes in balance and I do believe in a minimum wage, I also believe it is only slighly too low. To me minimum wage is a tool to keep the soulless from completely ******* the lower class. I remember a while back reading here someone who didnt want yard work done because min wage was too much. That person also talked about his car collection on a different board.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM

290 posts, read 176,178 times
What do the expect people to do live off of 8$ an hour? its extremely hard to do. I don't know how to change this but something does need done to make sure people can make more money when they are working. Its not right to force people to live off of minimum wage jobs. Maybe stop companies from going overseas I dunno.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
You must've not read my postings. Trust me, I'm own your side.

I don't have any investors OR stockholders. I'm a small business owner. My partner and I invested all of the money needed to start our business. No loans.

There's a ton of business owners in this country who aren't massive corporations or owned by conglomerates. In my experience, it seems like those small business owners are the ones who care most about the communities they serve because they actually are connected to those communities and rely on those communities for support.

Trust me, I struggle to pay my bills just like anybody else.
I owned a business and I was the number one investor. If my business had a good year the number one investor did well, but my workers were always paid what they were worth. A good year didn't mean they did anything to earn a raise. If one excelled they were rewarded but throwing raises at momentary successes is no way to run a business.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lustmolch View Post
What could possibly annoy a right wing capitalist more than livable wages for workers?
In their eye the working poor aren't paying enough taxes so maybe they should pay more so the working poor have some extra cash for that federal income tax the right wants the poor to pay....

Old 05-17-2012, 08:24 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
I have always figured that the minimum wage was much like gun control, a classic distraction ploy. I always wondered why Rod Blago was so big on gun control. As a US House member, he pushed hard for a ban of .50 cal rifles, which are virtually never used by criminals. Too big, too heavy, and too expensive. Then after Blago's indictment came, it occurred to me--it was just a distraction ploy. Don't look here--no look over there, at that .50 cal rifle.

Same with the minimum wage. Anyone who has taken econ 101 and gotten at least a 'B' knows that the minimum wage tends to hurt those it's intended to help. The higher the minimum, the more the hurt. If these politicians really wanted to help low-wage workers it would be a subsidized minimum wage (similar to subsidized farm price supports) or Milton Friedman's negative income tax...something along those lines. Now that would actually help low-wage workers, not hurt them. But Democrats never take that option do they? They go for the option that actually hurts. Hmmm.

Bill Clinton played it like a violin. Every time he got in trouble he would trot out a minimum wage hike proposal like clockwork.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:25 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,286,380 times
Why do people who don't live in Illinois care what their wages are? I could not give a rats behind what the wagers in a crap hole like Kansas or Alabama
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies