Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Increased profits create higher wages. If I can turn a greater profit for my business, I'll pay the team more.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA!@

My employer has a $500K annual payroll, nets $3M per year, and pays everyone within 25 cents of minimum wage. Wages here are unaffected by greater profit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I have always figured that the minimum wage was much like gun control, a classic distraction ploy. I always wondered why Rod Blago was so big on gun control. As a US House member, he pushed hard for a ban of .50 cal rifles, which are virtually never used by criminals. Too big, too heavy, and too expensive. Then after Blago's indictment came, it occurred to me--it was just a distraction ploy. Don't look here--no look over there, at that .50 cal rifle.

Same with the minimum wage. Anyone who has taken econ 101 and gotten at least a 'B' knows that the minimum wage tends to hurt those it's intended to help. The higher the minimum, the more the hurt. If these politicians really wanted to help low-wage workers it would be a subsidized minimum wage (similar to subsidized farm price supports) or Milton Friedman's negative income tax...something along those lines. Now that would actually help low-wage workers, not hurt them. But Democrats never take that option do they? They go for the option that actually hurts. Hmmm.

Bill Clinton played it like a violin. Every time he got in trouble he would trot out a minimum wage hike proposal like clockwork.

For years I have been advocating a subsidized minimum wage, but people don't want taxpayers to subsidize it. And a number of Democrats want to index the minimum wage to CPI so that wages keep up with inflation without having to fight Congress repeatedly.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I guess once you start passig bonds to fund genral funds then nothig much else will hrut intil you default i time like Greece. just so they don't vome runnig for others to bail them out.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I guess once you start passig bonds to fund genral funds then nothig much else will hrut intil you default i time like Greece. just so they don't vome runnig for others to bail them out.

I am speechless.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:24 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Why not $50 an hour?

That would be REALLY sweet!

Old 05-28-2012, 08:27 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA!@

My employer has a $500K annual payroll, nets $3M per year, and pays everyone within 25 cents of minimum wage. Wages here are unaffected by greater profit.
Because your job skills are low or easily replaced.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:28 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Why not $50 an hour?

That would be REALLY sweet!
Plus a voucher for a nice house and a good car.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isitmeorarethingsnuts? View Post
I'm not suprised. Libs always pretend to care about people.

Every time minimum wages go up the inflation follows or goes in to affect before the law kicks in. Consumers pay the price, so it is pointless.

I care about taxpayers. Where wages are too low OR too high,government handouts are likely to be too high. Those working for the lowest wages will qualify for handouts and those unemployed due to high wages will also qualify for handouts.

It's better if wages are just right.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I know how you can change it. Get a job that pays more. Also as I pointed out previously 50% of min wage earners work in the hospitality industry so they actually make more than the min wage. If your making the min wage and your not a high school kid your not trying.

Lots of people work in the hospitality industry and don't make more than min wage (e.g. no tips). Dishwashers and pizza makers often don't get or share inn tips.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:39 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,502,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugality View Post
So you consider a waiter who makes minimum wage a leech? Take note low income earners , this is what the right thinks of you
I'm well aware of what the many on the right think of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
Imteresting, that 5% that earn minimum edge or less. Any idea how many more are earning just a bit more that minimum wage? Seeing 1 in 6 live in poverty I suspect the percentage of low wage workers below, at and ABOVE the minimum wage is three or four times that 5.2%. Fully 50% of Americans can be characterized as "Clerical, pink-and blue-collar workers with often low job security; common household incomes range from $16,000 to $30,000. High school education."

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, no, there probably are a lot of posters at or near the minimum wage level.
A commonly excluded number. Minimum wage will obviously increase not only the minimum wage, but also the wages of those caught between the former and new wage. And, a lot of wages still go up as a result of "spillover" effects. If the minimum wage is $10, and somoene was making $10 previously, their wage might go up to $10.50 or $11 to compensate. These laws have tremendous impact for low-income earners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
For years I have been advocating a subsidized minimum wage, but people don't want taxpayers to subsidize it. And a number of Democrats want to index the minimum wage to CPI so that wages keep up with inflation without having to fight Congress repeatedly.
The CPI part is interesting. It is an undeniable fact that the real minimum wage has gone down because they aren't tied to anything--it's arbitrarily decided. As a result, if the number remained nominally the same, the spending power of that income would go down.

As of yet, the Voucher plans I've seen as a replacement for Obamacare have also been untied to any kind of index, which means that while it might work in the short-term, as soon as costs rise, and those vouchers don't--you'll continue to have decreased spending power until it's as useless as the minimum wage right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies