Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That's cool, they are mostly white, no matter what you choose to call them.
Nah. Not my choice. Tell the Spaniards that had children by black and Indian women. The result is lots of tan and brown folks south of the Rio Grande.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
They are not MY statistics they are from the United States Government.

I'm sorry but you offer only rationalizations and "hypothesis" pulled out of who knows where to support your belief system NOT FACTS.

You have yet to present any factual information to support that the income and education levels of Black and Hispanic Americans has not RISEN in the last 30 years.

The major component of prosperity is income. If you want to dispute this then I'd guess you are perfectly willing to insult your own intelligence to support your belief system.
Because that is not....has not....and will never be my argument. You've made up an argument that you think exists, but does not. I think you need to go back and re-read my posts. You're not getting it at all.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,301,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Not true. The Hispanic groups that are reproducing the most are Central American, then South American and Caribbean. Most of these people are mestizo, triracial or mulatto.
The whole premise of Hispanics on the whole thinking of themselves as American do in terms of their identity is flawed based on historical differences between how one perceives race.

Race is a social and cultural construct not a biological or scientific one.

The histories of the formation of societies that were formed on Latin America and in North America is completely different.

It is very difficult for Americans to think of a different concept of the construct of race unless they have traveled to South America or they have been educated on its history.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess you don't follow MLB. I do, and I can tell you that most of the players are hispanic. Most hispanics are NOT Mexicans. That may true in TX, but places like FL, there are hardly any Mexicans, but plenty of other hispanics. The language is NOT a problem for the babies born in US. I do not know any hispanics who have been born and raised in US and who do not speak English. They speak and act very American, and why shoudn't they since they grew up here?
Just because many baseball players are Hispanic doesn't meant that the Hispanic population prefers baseball over soccer. I really don't care anyway. That is only a minor thing. You are the one who brought up baseball as some kind of indicator of cultural unity in this country.

You're wrong. Mexicans by far make up the most Hispanics in this country. Florida is the exception to the rule. Many if not most legal or citizen Hispanics do eventually learn English but that isn't their primary language of usage, it is Spanish. Florida is a good example of that. My issue is mainly with Mexicans and other Latinos coming to this country illegally and popping out babies like there is no tomorrow and living on the government dole. They come here with virtually no skills or education and are taking American blue collar jobs at a cut rage wage. They will be generations of takers not givers.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Because that is not....has not....and will never be my argument. You've made up an argument that you think exists, but does not. I think you need to go back and re-read my posts. You're not getting it at all.
The reality is you put out a premise that was not factual in nature.

I countered your argument with factual information that thoroughly refutes your premise.

You have yet to present any FACTUAL INFORMATION to support your original assertion or any that you've made since then.

You are simply trying to move the goal post.

Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:22 AM

14,306 posts, read 13,318,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLover9 View Post
I think that this is very exciting! The amazing diversity that our country has truly is one of its best features!
We were already more diverse than any other country. Most of this birth explosion is by illegal alien Mexicans and other Latinos. You call that diversity and that gets you all giddy? Why are you not begging Japan, Mexico, etc. to become more diverse? Why is it only dominantly white-non hispanic countries are expected to "brown up" and lose their identities as a nation but not the other way around? Why the double standard?

Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
I still don't know why right wing people get their panties twisted in a bunch(AeroguyDC) about this. "white" people are still going to be the largest group in the US for a while and will still basically dictate policy in this country as they have always had. It is also interesting considering that birthrates are declining for Hispanics in this country too. I still think that people keep overlooking the "replacement level" for a country to remain functioning for the long term. But I guess that discussion is for another more sane forum or thread. As for this 50.4 percent of the babies born last year were not white. Guess what 49.6 were. The next closest number?
The reason why right wing people get their panties twisted about this is the whole issue of changing demographics is about changes to social, political and economic POWER!

If you are of the belief that one group should have sole dominance of social, economic and political power in the United States of America then demographic changes present a threat to YOUR POWER.

If you are of the belief that ALL AMERICANS should have the opportunity to progress and share in opportunities that America has to offer then this presents NO THREAT TO YOU WHATSOEVER!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:23 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The whole premise of Hispanics on the whole thinking of themselves as American do in terms of their identity is flawed based on historical differences between how one perceives race.

Race is a social and cultural construct not a biological or scientific one.

The histories of the formation of societies that were formed on Latin America and in North America is completely different.

It is very difficult for Americans to think of a different concept of the construct of race unless they have traveled to South America or they have been educated on its history.
I know all about that, considering I am of Cuban ancestry. All I am saying is that due to white supremacist notions deeply embedded in the cultures of Latin America, people of mixed origins tend to diminish their African and Indigenous origins and emphasize their European ones (if they have them).

Old 05-17-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I know all about that, considering I am of Cuban ancestry. All I am saying is that due to white supremacist notions deeply embedded in the cultures of Latin America, people of mixed origins tend to diminish their African and Indigenous origins and emphasize their European ones (if they have them).
I couldn't agree more!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
Welfare of the elderly? Do tell! What we really need to do is stop encouraging another baby boom population via too much legal immigration and illegal immigration and reduce our population along with a smaller economy instead. That way we have enough jobs and resources for everyone. Medicare and SS can be fixed in other ways. The one thing I do agree with you on is making sure that Americans and immigrants are educated enough to get a liveable working wage. We certainly don't need to encourage more third world immigrants who have neither that or any skills to offer.

What does hair color have to do with anything? Are you suggesting that we only allow in immigrants with brown hair?
The system is what it is, and the people who are currently working are paying for the ones who are retired. The problem is that our younger generations keep getting smaller and the aging ones keep getting bigger. so we have fewer people paying for more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies